Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Enough about Theron. Please :)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Enough about Theron. Please :)

Naholen
08.28.2017 , 02:09 PM | #1
I have played many MMOs through the years. But i can still remember how i felt the first time i played one. The magic in it. The way it felt and the way I felt. My heart was pounding so hard when I was exploring, almost jumped off the chair when an enemy mob appeared behind me. It was a new experience, it was amazing. Learning how to play. The first raid... etc. After a few years though, and trying different MMOs, I have never been able to experience again that awe and wonderment of the first MMO.

The first game I ever played that was developed by BW was Dragon Age: Origin. I remember getting so stunned during the story that I cried at the battle of Ostagar when Duncan died. (If you never played it, i suggest you try it.) I loved the game because of the empathy that it build toward the companions and supporting characters. And in my opinion, a game that effects you emotionally is a really good game. That is why I decided when SWTOR came out to give it a try.

Which brings me to the point of the post. The Traitor.
A lot of people are angry that Theron is the traitor, but admit it, the new expansion would have been quite boring if the traitor had been Bowdar or Gault, or any other minor companion. People want engaging stories, something that keeps them into the game. And that is what they did. If you don't have something that latches you to it, what fun is it in playing one game or the other? Sure I was pissed to find out that my LI had betrayed me (4 of my toons have him as LI), but the fact that it hurt, the fact that it shocked me, brought me back to the reason I choose to try SWTOR. I wanted to play a game that kept me emotionally interested in the story. Even choosing between Torian and Vette was upsetting, but again, yes it was upsetting and therefore it was good.

So kudos to BW for this new twist. I hope to see more emotional content next chapters.
In space no one can hear you scream.

Eshvara
08.28.2017 , 02:13 PM | #2
Thank you!🤗 Very nicely and well said! I personally don't want to continue the story with the same two "most important allies for years" preferably.
Unless they give us a bigger crew that's.going to be equally relevant, I want to see said traitor and the blonde hair lady to become less hinging on the story.
It was never an issue in ME or Dragon age as there were.so many relevant companions. Here there's only two. I feel sad for those who love Him and Her, but it isn't exactly fair either to always keep them around and never have something fresh happening or having the possibility of others mattering too.
I prefer another 700 useless ranks of cxp over that.

But even if it's not going to go the way I prefer, I wouldn't threathen and cancel my subscription over it, I'll just accept it as is. It can't always go the way you want it to go.
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| The wheel... spins... again.
💫Darth Malgus💫

Typhaos
08.28.2017 , 02:19 PM | #3
I agree with the main conclusion.
And probably everyone prefers something meaningful to be happening than something boring.

The complaints are rather because of some
practical issues: invested presents to get inluence, possiblity of losing romanced character, awfully slow pacing of the story so we are left with cliffhanger;
style and logic of the storytelling: many people think they would write this better, make more dialogue options, say something differently etc.

DieAlteHexe
08.28.2017 , 02:27 PM | #4
That sums it up for me as well. I could smack someone at BW and then applaud them. Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.
---------------------------------------------------------------

-- It's the journey, not the destination. --

serenitty
08.28.2017 , 02:31 PM | #5
It's not so much the story and who the traitor is, the more I think about it the more this is really good, he finally gets centre stage and there is some potential for a lot of emotion especially for romanced characters.
The problem is not in the story but in how they will conclude it (for me anyway). Characters that betray or disobey, tend to be given a kill option for those that wish to give out severe punishment. This ensures that those that do not take the kill option will keep said character but they will have a very diminished role in the overall story. Theron is a very big part of the overall story and to think that his role will be diminished to a background companion only good for crafting or pulling out to do quests is what's worrying the most.

Pietrastor
08.28.2017 , 02:35 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by serenitty View Post
It's not so much the story and who the traitor is, the more I think about it the more this is really good, he finally gets centre stage and there is some potential for a lot of emotion especially for romanced characters.
The problem is not in the story but in how they will conclude it (for me anyway). Characters that betray or disobey, tend to be given a kill option for those that wish to give out severe punishment. This ensures that those that do not take the kill option will keep said character but they will have a very diminished role in the overall story. The traitor is a very big part of the overall story and to think that his role will be diminished to a background companion only good for crafting or pulling out to do quests is what's worrying the most.
Kill option for companions in Bioware games usually means one of two things though - revival retcon or end of major role (or any actual presence whatsoever)

The only time they actually delivered sizeable and varying content for killable companions was ME3 (not all of them) but that was after massive fan pressure.

Lunafox
08.28.2017 , 02:35 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by serenitty View Post
The problem is not in the story but in how they will conclude it (for me anyway). Characters that betray or disobey, tend to be given a kill option for those that wish to give out severe punishment. This ensures that those that do not take the kill option will keep said character but they will have a very diminished role in the overall story. The traitor is a very big part of the overall story and to think that his role will be diminished to a background companion only good for crafting or pulling out to do quests is what's worrying the most.
That's what concerns me as well, that because they made him a traitor, that there will be a kill option and that will reduce his presence in any future story. I DON'T WANT to see that happen. I want to see Theron have an important and visible role in stories in the future.

As you said, those with kill options given, have been reduced to nothing and I don't want to see that for Theron. It's bad enough that Quinn will likely never speak again because of this.

Kill Theron, reduce Theron's presence...you may as well kill my sub too.

DarthEnrique
08.28.2017 , 02:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
That's what concerns me as well, that because they made him a traitor, that there will be a kill option and that will reduce his presence in any future story. I DON'T WANT to see that happen. I want to see Theron have an important and visible role in stories in the future.

As you said, those with kill options given, have been reduced to nothing and I don't want to see that for Theron. It's bad enough that Quinn will likely never speak again because of this.

Kill Theron, reduce Theron's presence...you may as well kill my sub too.
Pretty much how I feel so no. There's not enough we'll keep this up until Bioware either releases a statement better satisfying then asking us to "trust" where Theron is concerned when it comes down to we don't trust Bioware's writing process and are basing this on their past behavior. So no not enough not until they can guarantee Theron won't have a kill option or that they will not push him off to the side on us like they have the past. So kill option appears and no guarantees Bioware can say goodbye to my sub.
Trying to help my friend Ultimatedshadow out, please click his referral link. Thanks. http://www.swtor.com/r/5YzVTH

BlueShiftRecall
08.28.2017 , 02:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
As you said, those with kill options given, have been reduced to nothing and I don't want to see that for Theron. It's bad enough that Quinn will likely never speak again because of this.(
I have a character who romanced Koth and I don't believe we'll ever see him again in a cut scene or story wise, most we'll probably get is a letter or two like in Umbara. If Theron or anyone else can be killed it's usually their death sentence story wise if you let them live, it's a no win situation.
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkelefantos View Post
BTW, it's really hard not to read your name as Blue****tRecall.
Supporter Of: Purple Twi'leks (Since 2015) and More Miraluka Masks

serenitty
08.28.2017 , 02:47 PM | #10
Same here. I love this game and put a lot of time and money into it over the years but, if they do cut his part in the story at all I'll drop my sub.