Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How old is our character?


Phyreblade's Avatar


Phyreblade
09.03.2017 , 07:08 PM | #51
This question actually drove me batty for a time, only because I head-canon five of my toons as siblings. I considered them YOUNG - that their youth alone made their actions even more incredible, even. Plus, the story presents them as being new and student-ish, or just starting their careers, etc.

Shrug, I spent most of my own working career with the military. I figured I was growing 'older' when the new recruits starting looking like they were my own kids, rather than young men and women embarking on their own military careers, hehe. But since I worked so much with the military's social services programs, I learned quick what age groups marked the experience of the Soldiers and their family members that I was working with. Mind you, the average age of a new private in the Army is 19 and a second lieutenant is 23.

So those were the ages I went with when I considered my 'we yanked you into the academy ahead of schedule' Warrior (who is the eldest of my five siblings) and she's 19 years-old. Her Bounty Hunter half-sister is only several months younger, so she's 19, too.

But then I didn't want my younger characters to be too young, either. It would feel weird to me, to explore a romance using an 'underage' character. In other words, no. Friggin. Way.

That leaves my Imperial Agent, who's next eldest at aged 18. The youngest of my siblings are a pair of twins and they are half-siblings, again. So only weeks younger than my Agent. My Smuggler is 18 and so is his twin sister, my Knight. All this is at the start of the story. I tend to give them a bit more time from the class story to the opening of KotFE, though. I figure it's more like 12-13 years before Shadow of Revan starts up for my characters. So they're all in their early 30's when they meet up with Valkorian.

Mind you, some of my toons I head-canon being different aged. My Consular is very, very young. I actually see him as a smallish 15 year-old when the class story starts. But my Inquisitor is slightly older at 20. My Troopers are always even more older, if only because no one goes straight from boot camp into special forces. Seriously, soldiers have a bit of experience before they're even looked at for special forces! So my Troopers are typically in their late 20's, or pushing 30.

But that's only me. I think how you view the story and where your own character fits into it is totally personal to you. Whatever works or makes sense to you is fine, so you should only craft your character the way you think makes sense. And have fun!
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel Duncan, Sawbones Scoundrel
Phyreblade, Co-Leader Covenant of the Phoenix

DudeinFlames's Avatar


DudeinFlames
09.03.2017 , 08:23 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
The actual lead writer wrote the codex entries that said Lana was working on Hoth 21 years ago, which are actually canon. The comment on Twitter was off-the-record and casual. I would trust the former over the latter.
Boyd controls the story, more or less is what I meant. I'm not going to judge a character off of my opinion of a codex entry that doesn't even mention them by name, let alone is even certain it's them, but you're free to do whatever you want to do.
Quote:
IMHO they don't mention her exact birth year, even though they drop those clues, for the same reason they don't specify it for Lord Zash or Senya, and for the same reason a lot of the romanceable female companions are very young: too many stereotypes and too much negativity toward women over, say, 35. Nobody cares if Darth Marr or Malgus are in their 60s, and some will still consider them attractive, but if they were to officially say Lana was, let's say, 45, there would likely be a lot of OH NOES SHE'S OOOLLLLLLDD or LOL COUGAR!! comments and people dropping them as LIs.
I've been playing BioWare games as long as I remember, and I'm sure you remember a little game series called Dragon Age. Every single female companion in it is older than the player character. Hell, Leliana was 26 compared to a city elf Warden who could be around, I don't know, 16 or so. More recently, MEA basically had the protagonist be my age, and every female in it almost a decade older. They clearly don't care about this kind of thing, and while I don't either, I hear Leliana is quite popular for someone who's just about 40 by the last we saw her. People still wanted her, and still talked about romancing her. All the same, Zash and Senya aren't romanceable characters whatsoever and their ages are very apparent, Lana would still be around 36 even with that said so your complaint doesn't even make sense, Kaliyo is 42 and this was mentioned, and to top it all off, short of Mako no romanceable female character is too shy of 35 at this point, and even the player is certainly closing in on that number nonsensical carbonite mechanics aside.

IMO, Lana's age isn't mentioned because not a lot of thought was put into her character when it was slammed together for SoR. Just a Sith who acts sort of like a Jedi sometimes, who impressed her colleagues and gets put into a position where she can meet the player, and that's it. Theron, on the other hand needed an extensive backstory because he's a Shan and has comics and books.

Nefla's Avatar


Nefla
09.03.2017 , 09:26 PM | #53
People aren't going to be put off by a companion just because their stated age is "old," they're going to be drawn in or put off based on how the character looks and how old or young they look, sound, and act.

Also people were asking to romance DA2's version of Flemeth lol

Anyway, I see my Inquisitors as being the youngest. Maybe 16-17 at the start. Then my Knights and Consulars in their late teens-early 20's depending on the individual. I see my smugglers and agents in their mid 20's and my Troopers and Bounty Hunters as in their late 20's-early 30's at the start despite being called "kid" and such in the beginning.

IoNonSoEVero's Avatar


IoNonSoEVero
09.03.2017 , 09:41 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by DudeinFlames View Post
Boyd controls the story, more or less is what I meant. I'm not going to judge a character off of my opinion of a codex entry that doesn't even mention them by name, let alone is even certain it's them, but you're free to do whatever you want to do.
Let's see. The codex entry is given to you after completing a Forged Alliance flashpoint where Lana is literally the only woman who is present, it's called "An Unexpected Ally" for Republic players, it says "someone matching her description" and it's accepted as her in all of the bio sites that cover SWTOR - but yeah, it's just conjecture. *eyeroll*

I don't particularly care how long you've been playing Bioware games, or what opinions you can rattle off about them. Read the thread where Lana's age is worked out...even there, people don't want her to be 40+ because she will be too old for their characters. End of discussion with you.

And ETA, I don't have any issue with Lana being in her 40s, in fact I think it's awesome - but that thread I mentioned, if it's tracked down, does have complaints - and I think there's even a stupid cougar comment in this thread.

Eshvara's Avatar


Eshvara
09.03.2017 , 11:59 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
Let's see. The codex entry is given to you after completing a Forged Alliance flashpoint where Lana is literally the only woman who is present, it's called "An Unexpected Ally" for Republic players, it says "someone matching her description" and it's accepted as her in all of the bio sites that cover SWTOR - but yeah, it's just conjecture. *eyeroll*

I don't particularly care how long you've been playing Bioware games, or what opinions you can rattle off about them. Read the thread where Lana's age is worked out...even there, people don't want her to be 40+ because she will be too old for their characters. End of discussion with you.
I don't see what's wrong with Lana being 40. But then again, I'd hate it if Arcann was like 20. I'm glad he's not.
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| The wheel... spins... again.
💫Darth Malgus💫

IoNonSoEVero's Avatar


IoNonSoEVero
09.04.2017 , 01:03 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
I don't see what's wrong with Lana being 40. But then again, I'd hate it if Arcann was like 20. I'm glad he's not.
I don't have any issue with it, either. I actually prefer having characters in their 30s and 40s in the game, and I think it's right for Lana to be in her 40s. But I think there's a lot of sexism around the issue of women who aren't 25. People actually were complaining about it in that thread I mentioned, and I think we've even had a stupid cougar comment here.

Eshvara's Avatar


Eshvara
09.04.2017 , 01:13 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
I don't have any issue with it, either. I actually prefer having characters in their 30s and 40s in the game, and I think it's right for Lana to be in her 40s. But I think there's a lot of sexism around the issue of women who aren't 25. People actually were complaining about it in that thread I mentioned, and I think we've even had a stupid cougar comment here.
Yeah, according to the internet women are off the market past 30. So I guess Lana being 40 is just horrible for them!
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| The wheel... spins... again.
💫Darth Malgus💫

DudeinFlames's Avatar


DudeinFlames
09.04.2017 , 06:16 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
Let's see. The codex entry is given to you after completing a Forged Alliance flashpoint where Lana is literally the only woman who is present, it's called "An Unexpected Ally" for Republic players, it says "someone matching her description" and it's accepted as her in all of the bio sites that cover SWTOR - but yeah, it's just conjecture. *eyeroll*
That's an appeal to popularity, but I'm fine with the codex mentioning Lana and that certainly being her. The point is, it's incredibly vague, and using it to make concrete statements is inane because it's a quick and vague reference.
Quote:
I don't particularly care how long you've been playing Bioware games, or what opinions you can rattle off about them. Read the thread where Lana's age is worked out...even there, people don't want her to be 40+ because she will be too old for their characters. End of discussion with you.
Then why even bother responding before if you aren't going to actually discuss the points? What people do outside of the dev team is incredibly unimportant to the story of TOR. I don't care about what TOR fans have calculated for someone else's work. You guys are cool and all, but you have no more authority than I do to declare something correct or not. I could just as easily bring up things like Lana training with slaves to push the timeline back, and we could have a nice back and forth on the validity of those things, but just saying, "We determined this, and if you don't accept this, then you're wrong and I'm done with you," is silly.
Quote:
And ETA, I don't have any issue with Lana being in her 40s, in fact I think it's awesome - but that thread I mentioned, if it's tracked down, does have complaints - and I think there's even a stupid cougar comment in this thread.
Compared to how many other comments? No one cares, for the most part. We never have, the BioWare fandom that is. If it looks good, people will want to pretend to have sex with it. Which is why all those clearly older women you brought up still have fans. If they wanted to make Lana above 40, they could have, and she'd still have just as many fans, not that her age would matter when she has space magic powers to counteract any problems that came with age. The truth is, you like Lana being 4(_), so you accept that conclusion. Which is fine. What isn't, is telling me I should ignore developers and take a fan made calculation as gospel for BWA's fictional product. No thanks.

Dayshadow's Avatar


Dayshadow
09.10.2017 , 05:38 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedzaban View Post
When we start the game i always assumed our character was a 20ish year old padawan/apprentice/recruit. My feeling is that the game has been going 6 years now and if we add to that the 5 years in stasis then our character is now in their early 30s.

Does that sound about right? Has anyone worked out an exact timeframe for our characters? Rightly or wrongly, I always assumed all the classes are the same age.
The Force users are all young.

Trooper is mentioned as being young and is relatively fresh out of the academy. So early 20's.

The Bounty Hunter is probably late 20's to early 30's. Only older people refer to him as young.

Despite referring to everyone as "kid", the Smuggler is supposedly a little older than Jiik from the Coruscant story (who seemed fairly young). So mid to late 20's probably.

The Agent is a wildcard. I'd assume young like the trooper as they both recently graduate top of their class, but seeing as he is an intelligence agent he may have been doing something else prior as a regular chiss soldier or something like a Chiss FBI agent. Wasn't there an option on Voss to state you were a cop or something like that on Csilla? And Chiss age very well and can't get out of shape (at least pre-Disney) so he could be older than he seems. Or even younger as a 10-13 year old chiss is physically and emotional equivalent to a 20 year old human.
SWTOR gameplay edited like a television series

DarthDymond's Avatar


DarthDymond
09.10.2017 , 10:13 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
You seem to think that "during the Treaty of Coruscant" refers to any time between the signing and the start of the Galactic War. That is incorrect.
Sorry, but s/he seems spot-on correct. "[D]uring the Treaty of Coruscant" -- in the context of that Codex entry -- pretty clearly reads as "during the time the Treaty was in effect," i.e. any time from the signing until the start of the Galactic War. It's just another way of saying "during the Cold War."

Quote: Originally Posted by An Unexpected Ally
While no SIS database appears to mention Lana Beniko by name, further scrutiny might offer a glimpse into the psyche of this unusual Sith Lord. As detailed in an incident report, a skirmish on Hoth between Republic and Imperial forces during the Treaty of Coruscant ended abruptly when an unidentified female Sith Lord leapt into the midst of the battle, demanding an immediate ceasefire–and an explanation for the fight. When an Imperial officer suggested she wouldn’t understand the nuances of military conflict, he lost his right hand to a lightning-fast lightsaber strike. The Sith, whose reported appearance closely matches that of Beniko, then told everyone to return to their bases and not reengage. The command was promptly obeyed by all, and the Sith Lord was purportedly never seen by Republic forces again.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here