Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How old is our character?

Zhedzaban
08.27.2017 , 06:57 PM | #1
When we start the game i always assumed our character was a 20ish year old padawan/apprentice/recruit. My feeling is that the game has been going 6 years now and if we add to that the 5 years in stasis then our character is now in their early 30s.

Does that sound about right? Has anyone worked out an exact timeframe for our characters? Rightly or wrongly, I always assumed all the classes are the same age.
RIP APAC players, RIP West Coast Players, RIP anyone not living on the East Coast

The United Forces merger disaster, 2017

Asmodesu
08.27.2017 , 07:13 PM | #2
There's no canon age for the player character. But I assumed young for all since most seem to get called kid, child etc on the starter planets at the very least or told they're young. So their age is whatever you choose.

starter planet - SoR was approximately 5 years (mix of in-game timeframe and dev team info)
5 years in carbonite (we know that through dialogue)
Then 6-ish months between KotFE and KotET (dev tweets)

I'd personally guess by Iokath/Umbara approx 1-1/2 years has passed since being rescued from carbonite (to go with 6 years 8 months from Quinn chat). Making it 11-12 years since the starter planets.

Personally:
my sith warrior started out at 17 years old on Korriban (this is headcanon choice) so she'd be 28/29 during Iokath chronologically going off the estimates (minus 5 years biologically, I'm pretty sure people's bodies don't age when they're in carbonite)

IoNonSoEVero
08.27.2017 , 07:25 PM | #3
My main SW is mid-20s in Korriban. I look on Korriban as the equivalent of graduate school, at least for the Warrior track. The narration says she's been training elsewhere and her rival also mentions being at a different Academy. So early 30s when SoR ends and late 30s when she's pulled out of carbonite. Iokath is supposedly 6 years and 8 months after KOTFE begins Chapter 1 (there's a YouTube video where romanced Quinn actually gives this precise figure) so that's nearly 13 years in total, which means my SW is now hovering close to 40.

I'm fine with this timeline especially since I didn't want her to be lightyears younger than her LI, and Lana's estimated to be mid-40s - there's another post here where someone did the math on that.

My SI, however, is a baby - I have her at 18 when she's sent to Korriban.

Diviciacus
08.27.2017 , 07:45 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedzaban View Post
When we start the game i always assumed our character was a 20ish year old padawan/apprentice/recruit. My feeling is that the game has been going 6 years now and if we add to that the 5 years in stasis then our character is now in their early 30s.

Does that sound about right? Has anyone worked out an exact timeframe for our characters? Rightly or wrongly, I always assumed all the classes are the same age.
Age is pretty variable. You can headcannon your character to be whatever age they want. But they're 11-12 years older by Iokath than they were at level 1.

Companions less so. They all have concrete ages (and almost all the female LI ones are exactly 30 in KOTFE).
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

Zhedzaban
08.27.2017 , 08:08 PM | #5
Interesting comments thank you.

I've always felt my character is older (and wiser) than the timeline might suggest. But looking at the math early 30s looks right but the characters in their 40s feels right. As you guys have said, I suppose it's head canon really so your age can be as you want it to be (to a degree).
RIP APAC players, RIP West Coast Players, RIP anyone not living on the East Coast

The United Forces merger disaster, 2017

Asmodesu
08.27.2017 , 08:21 PM | #6
Yup player character was made to be rather open in terms of age, we'll never get a canon. But companions - most have some approximate or set one.

Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
I'm fine with this timeline especially since I didn't want her to be lightyears younger than her LI, and Lana's estimated to be mid-40s - there's another post here where someone did the math on that.
The bioware staff tweet was along the lines of "have her at same age as Theron's and leave it at that" which would have made her be in her mid-30's , but of course it's not as important to the dev team to give Lana a set DOB when they were asked and answered it. so people made their own up trying to base off codex data and other info snippets.

IoNonSoEVero
08.27.2017 , 08:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodesu View Post
Yup player character was made to be rather open in terms of age, we'll never get a canon. But companions - most have some approximate or set one.

Yeah and the bioware staff tweet was along the lines of "have her at same age as Theron's and leave it at that" which would have made her be in her mid-30's , but of course it's not as important to the dev team to give Lana a set DOB when they were asked and answered. so people made their own up trying to base off codex data and other info snippets.
Charles did say that, but IMHO the codex guesstimates made a lot more sense - unless she was a child prodigy, if she was a Sith and working on Hoth 10 years before the SWTOR characters were at Level 1, she would be at least early to mid 30s in SoR and late 30s to mid 40s when KOTFE starts.

Diviciacus
08.27.2017 , 08:31 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedzaban View Post
Interesting comments thank you.

I've always felt my character is older (and wiser) than the timeline might suggest. But looking at the math early 30s looks right but the characters in their 40s feels right. As you guys have said, I suppose it's head canon really so your age can be as you want it to be (to a degree).
Do keep in mind that Alexander the Great conquered Greece before his 18th birthday, and Persia before the age of 30.

"Judge me by my [age], do you?"

Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
Charles did say that, but IMHO the codex guesstimates made a lot more sense - unless she was a child prodigy, if she was a Sith and working on Hoth 10 years before the SWTOR characters were at Level 1, she would be at least early to mid 30s in SoR and late 30s to mid 40s when KOTFE starts.
Indeed. She's older than that even. She absolutely has to be mid 40's minimum, because KOTFE/KOTET happens 21 ATC (after the treaty of Coruscant).
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

Asmodesu
08.27.2017 , 09:15 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Diviciacus View Post
Do keep in mind that Alexander the Great conquered Greece before his 18th birthday, and Persia before the age of 30.

"Judge me by my [age], do you?"

Indeed. She's older than that even. She absolutely has to be mid 40's minimum, because KOTFE/KOTET happens 21 ATC (after the treaty of Coruscant).
My characters are all young, except my bounty hunter. young being 17-21 , for my own headcanon. Never had a problem with their ages even considering their jobs, well except with the class LI ages, not all are great for that young *cough*Quinn*cough*

Yup, never disagreed with fans trying to narrow down an approximate since Charles' didn't make sense, given the stuff we know about her in-game. Just thought I'd laugh over the fact the creative dev guy couldn't care less but I did find the "omg you don't read your own codex" argument hilariously accurate.

verfallen
08.27.2017 , 10:00 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Diviciacus View Post
for sake of sexual diversity, long standing BW goal, we needed a cougar :P
Verfallen (Assassin) | Azorek (Sorcerer)
Veroth (Marauder) Altamira (Merc) Aing (Sniper)

Verfalled (sage) | Tiemrys (Shadow)Verfaing (Sentinel)Evenroth (Commando)
Fear The ShadowHumper Legacy! May contain sarcasm