Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

New Schematics for Biochem

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
New Schematics for Biochem

Arstechnica's Avatar


Arstechnica
08.25.2017 , 03:12 PM | #1
So glad to see the new schematics for biochem on Odessa, I really hope to see the missing level 10 schematics for the other crafting professions - cybertech.
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Collector's Edition Pre-Order
You registered your Pre-Order code on July 22, 2011
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from the force.
Department of Applied Technologies
Beta Squadron 367

psandak's Avatar


psandak
08.25.2017 , 04:56 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Arstechnica View Post
So glad to see the new schematics for biochem on Odessa, I really hope to see the missing level 10 schematics for the other crafting professions - cybertech.
I really dislike this reversal. Think about what is going to happen:

players are going to spend a LOT of time in the new FP to get the currency needed to buy all of the schematics. This will result in burnout in some players, leading them to stop playing.

players are going to start leveling biochem on any toon that does not have the other crafting skills so they can use the reusables on those characters. This has two adverse impacts:
  1. players are going to spend a lot of credits to level those skills (great for the overall economy; credits sinks are good, but lousy for the player as each character will require roughly 500k credits (in materials and schematics training; I recently leveled a second BC for conquest so I know) and a few hours of crafting nothing but components that have little to no value (except for conquest)
  2. after the fact, there will be less demand for consumables, pushing biochem back down into the pit of non-profit. At best it will be a credits saver...but one is already in the hole for leveling biochem in the first place so it will take time to in fact see that cost savings.

Assuming one does not have a biochem to craft with, and therefore buys off the GTN, one can buy a lot of stims and adrenals for what it costs to level biochem to use the reusables. And if one does have *A* biochem, the cost to craft stims and adrenals is shockingly low: ~3k per unit (WITHOUT CRITS: 13600 per crafting of 4 stims or 3400 a piece; and 13800 per crafting of 6 adrenals or 2300 a piece)

The only players/characters this change really benefits are:
  1. those who switch specs often and change stims (tank to DPS, heals to DPS [if one uses proficient stim in dps spec], PvE to PVP DPS switch [again assuming PvE uses proficient and PvP uses versatile], etc)
  2. those who use adrenals all but on cooldown (VM/HM, MM/NiM Ops DPSers)

For everyone else, IMO save your time and credits and just keep using consumables.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

Kyuuu's Avatar


Kyuuu
08.25.2017 , 08:38 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I really dislike this reversal. Think about what is going to happen:

players are going to spend a LOT of time in the new FP to get the currency needed to buy all of the schematics. This will result in burnout in some players, leading them to stop playing.

players are going to start leveling biochem on any toon that does not have the other crafting skills so they can use the reusables on those characters. This has two adverse impacts:
  1. players are going to spend a lot of credits to level those skills (great for the overall economy; credits sinks are good, but lousy for the player as each character will require roughly 500k credits (in materials and schematics training; I recently leveled a second BC for conquest so I know) and a few hours of crafting nothing but components that have little to no value (except for conquest)
  2. after the fact, there will be less demand for consumables, pushing biochem back down into the pit of non-profit. At best it will be a credits saver...but one is already in the hole for leveling biochem in the first place so it will take time to in fact see that cost savings.

Assuming one does not have a biochem to craft with, and therefore buys off the GTN, one can buy a lot of stims and adrenals for what it costs to level biochem to use the reusables. And if one does have *A* biochem, the cost to craft stims and adrenals is shockingly low: ~3k per unit (WITHOUT CRITS: 13600 per crafting of 4 stims or 3400 a piece; and 13800 per crafting of 6 adrenals or 2300 a piece)

The only players/characters this change really benefits are:
  1. those who switch specs often and change stims (tank to DPS, heals to DPS [if one uses proficient stim in dps spec], PvE to PVP DPS switch [again assuming PvE uses proficient and PvP uses versatile], etc)
  2. those who use adrenals all but on cooldown (VM/HM, MM/NiM Ops DPSers)

For everyone else, IMO save your time and credits and just keep using consumables.
speak for your self I love that biochem once again has reusable then again all my stuff is biochem to begin with, the toons i dont play or rarely play are every thing else

Arstechnica's Avatar


Arstechnica
08.25.2017 , 11:47 PM | #4
I am surprised they are going back to reusables. I thought they banned that idea. I guess reusables nades are next.
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Collector's Edition Pre-Order
You registered your Pre-Order code on July 22, 2011
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from the force.
Department of Applied Technologies
Beta Squadron 367

Mubrak's Avatar


Mubrak
08.26.2017 , 01:55 AM | #5
For me it's a psychological thing:
- When I have to replace the (~5k) thing I hesitate to use it, and by then the moment of usefulness is gone.
- When I paid for the ability to use it freely without additional cost (~500k training) I use it with with reckless abandon.

Biochem is basically a stim+adrenal flat rate.


Before they were removed, the reusable stim was just another buff I had to refresh regularly; meanwhile I have learned other crewskills on those chars that had the skill only for the reusables. One of them even switched to cybertech, because I didn't play my cybertech crafter at that time... Now for me the question is whether I should go and relearn Biochem or wait until reusable grenades return (for which the moment of hesitation is usually even more crucial, but Biochem has stims as perma buffs as well as medpacks and adrenals for situational use)

As for hurting GTN sales... Do stims and adrenals actually sell? One biochemist can easily supply your whole legacy, The only time where I would buy the stuff on the GTN is when I have none left in the legacy storage and can't or don't want to log to another char (in a group, too lazy)
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!
Remove the blue glow from stronghold-speeders!

Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
08.26.2017 , 06:32 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I really dislike this reversal. Think about what is going to happen:

players are going to spend a LOT of time in the new FP to get the currency needed to buy all of the schematics. This will result in burnout in some players, leading them to stop playing.

players are going to start leveling biochem on any toon that does not have the other crafting skills so they can use the reusables on those characters. This has two adverse impacts:
  1. players are going to spend a lot of credits to level those skills (great for the overall economy; credits sinks are good, but lousy for the player as each character will require roughly 500k credits (in materials and schematics training; I recently leveled a second BC for conquest so I know) and a few hours of crafting nothing but components that have little to no value (except for conquest)
  2. after the fact, there will be less demand for consumables, pushing biochem back down into the pit of non-profit. At best it will be a credits saver...but one is already in the hole for leveling biochem in the first place so it will take time to in fact see that cost savings.
.
But the credit sink to train the skill is a one time thing.

This change actually makes losing a credit sink. Less sales on the GTN, which always remove credits. Less diplomacy missions needed, less materials needed, etc. All those are nice way to constantly remove credits from the economy.
The more people swap to Biochem for this, the bigger this negative impact will be.

And adrenals and medpacks are good way to make credits without being involved in any way in end game gearing. Those who don't want to participate in CXP grind in any way can make credits with Biochem. This change will certainly hurt this

Pitty they changed their minds about the reusable. And this time is worse, because the reusable have the same stats as the non reusables. They used to provide lower stats.

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
08.26.2017 , 06:34 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
As for hurting GTN sales... Do stims and adrenals actually sell? One biochemist can easily supply your whole legacy, The only time where I would buy the stuff on the GTN is when I have none left in the legacy storage and can't or don't want to log to another char (in a group, too lazy)
Yes, they do sell, quite reliably. More so than implants for example.

Transcendent's Avatar


Transcendent
08.26.2017 , 09:26 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
As for hurting GTN sales... Do stims and adrenals actually sell? One biochemist can easily supply your whole legacy, The only time where I would buy the stuff on the GTN is when I have none left in the legacy storage and can't or don't want to log to another char (in a group, too lazy)
The only time I've bought stims / adrenals off the GTN was when I first started playing the game and hadn't levelled that specific crew skill (it was among the last for me to level up). So no, I doubt it will overly affect sales on the GTN assuming only newer players or players without Biochem actually buy them.

Be interesting to see if reusable grenades make their way back, that would be useful.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

Vercundus's Avatar


Vercundus
08.28.2017 , 01:17 AM | #9
Well, only my main OPs toon had to switch Archaeology for Biochem. My tank was Biochem to begin with, so that was a plus. All others will stay as they are, no need to switch as they are not main ones, and lets be realistic, old stims are as good.

I find more benefit in adrenals, since I only crafted blue ones. I really hate how Diplomacy works now and I run those missions only to get mats for Implant. Therefore, now my main can use purple adrenals and switch between them as needed.

I highly doubt people will grind that FP in order to get schematics since those will not be very profitable soon. They are already under 100k per piece, which is nothing.
Choices matter... I choose not to sub until conquest is fixed...

My referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/jRpChs

Feztonio's Avatar


Feztonio
08.29.2017 , 05:35 PM | #10
am I missing where to find the schematics for implants? for whatever reason though i'm 600/600 in biochem, the only implant schems on the trainer are the 4.0 500 skill level ones. i checked the oddessen vendor as well hoping but it just has the stims on there.
Quote:
"First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to ALL game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge." -Jeff Hickman - Executive Producer - Star Wars: The Old Republic