Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Crisis on Umbrara Story, Upset and Dismayed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Crisis on Umbrara Story, Upset and Dismayed

Shiannelove's Avatar


Shiannelove
08.24.2017 , 09:53 PM | #1
This story update is not something I'm happy about, and I'm not going to play it multiple times like I have every other update or expansion. The kotfe/kotet story was disliked by many, including myself. But I played it anyway b/c I enjoy the swtor game for its gameplay style AND its story. But the recent update has a major character not only acting out of character, but also upsets those who love this character wholeheartedly.

I've seen posts from people believing the traitor
Spoiler
is a triple agent and not voluntarily betraying you. But that doesn't change that its poor writing, and is a heavy weight on the scale of pros and cons of swtor's current state. I had faith in swtor coming back around, and I could look past kotfe/kotet's shortcomings, but not anymore.

I've taken breaks from swtor in the past for personal reasons. But eventually, I'd come back to it, and still love it as much as I used to. I stayed subscribed for all of kotfe/kotet despite that the subscription rewards weren't as great as I hoped they'd be, and despite that the story didn't live up to the swtor standard. But I did it because I wanted to support the game, and I wanted the new content as soon as it became available.

I loved the original story of swtor because of the choices you could make, and that made making new characters fun. I could experience changes in the story. And the sheer number of stories you make- having a unique story for each class, added LS/DS differences, and romances made for both female and male players, was something unheard of for many mmorpg games. Plus I had loved the Star Wars films and the Clone Wars TV series, and was jumping at the chance to be a part of its universe.

Now, I still will be, but to a reduced degree. I'll continue re-playing the original content for all its worth, and I'll play my mains (who went thru kotfe/kotet) on non-story content b/c I enjoy their gameplay style and abilities. But I will only continue with the story to bring back old companions I desire, nothing else.

Hopefully, whenever you finish the eternal alliance storyline, bring back ALL old companions, and move on to the next expansion, you'll win back my favor. But until then, you'll have to settle for my disappointment and my reluctant, crestfallen participation.

This thread is for those of us genuinely upset by the Umbara update, and future story updates.

OdinAccess's Avatar


OdinAccess
08.25.2017 , 02:05 AM | #2
It was'nt that bad, i actually enjoyed it, i look forward to seeing what "The Order" is and what their ultimate goals are, could maybe provide some more context to the "plot twist". Not the best story update but definitely not a bad one either IMO.

Jay-Kor's Avatar


Jay-Kor
08.25.2017 , 02:41 AM | #3
Yeah I didn't really have a problem with it, that said this 'Order' faction are probably already going to be some crappy out of this world (even for the likes of Star Wars) pointless crappy mob like the Eternal Empire. (KOTFE and KOTET destroyed the game they need to go back to old school Jedi V Sith Republic Vs Empire.)

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
08.25.2017 , 03:07 AM | #4
I'll admit that I wasn't *expecting* the way it went, but I wasn't *surprised* by it.
Spoiler

So I'm looking forward to finding out more about a certain thing, and I'm looking forward to trying it with a couple of my characters to see how it changes.
Spoiler
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
Buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-buda-CHING!
PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.

Thaladan's Avatar


Thaladan
08.25.2017 , 03:52 AM | #5
he let his father died (if you chose this story) in a place where our character is alone, but he's the traitor trying to kill you after.

this is ridiculous.
Elite warlord sorcerer- sniper - powertech

Tadagyt's Avatar


Tadagyt
08.25.2017 , 04:26 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shiannelove View Post
But the recent update has a major character not only acting out of character, but also upsets those who love this character wholeheartedly.
You should check
Spoiler

Check your PM's. Sent you the links.

Dracofish's Avatar


Dracofish
08.25.2017 , 06:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Tadagyt View Post
You should check
Spoiler

Check your PM's. Sent you the links.
Spoiler
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

flygaren's Avatar


flygaren
08.25.2017 , 06:14 AM | #8
Ok, so Iīm kinda shellshocked and floating in a bubble of despair here....
Please donīt take the traitor away from my characters, I desperately need this companion back. This is so out of character for this companion if itīs not a big twist in the story to come.

Help me devs, your my only hope

Nefla's Avatar


Nefla
08.25.2017 , 06:49 AM | #9
I'm very unhappy as well. It's just been weird, haphazard and poorly written so far. If there is a triple agent thing going on as it seems, why did the traitor not bring our character in on this? If it's not a triple agent scenario and this person really did betray us, it makes them completely OOC and destroys their character. The whole thing was short and awkward and seemed like it was meant to apply to a DS overlord type character and didn't fit LS peacekeepers at all. The excuses the traitor made for betraying the LS character were paper thin and seemed like an afterthought but they had to smash both alignments in to one story due to budgetary reasons I guess. We're losing any and all variety and replay value bit by bit. I've been here and without a gap in my subscription since a few months after launch but I think it's finally time for that to change.

Shiannelove's Avatar


Shiannelove
08.25.2017 , 08:03 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nefla View Post
I'm very unhappy as well. It's just been weird, haphazard and poorly written so far. If there is a triple agent thing going on as it seems, why did the traitor not bring our character in on this? If it's not a triple agent scenario and this person really did betray us, it makes them completely OOC and destroys their character. The whole thing was short and awkward and seemed like it was meant to apply to a DS overlord type character and didn't fit LS peacekeepers at all. The excuses the traitor made for betraying the LS character were paper thin and seemed like an afterthought but they had to smash both alignments in to one story due to budgetary reasons I guess. We're losing any and all variety and replay value bit by bit. I've been here and without a gap in my subscription since a few months after launch but I think it's finally time for that to change.
YES all of this is exactly how I feel.