Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Skank Tank or Shank Tank imbalance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Skank Tank or Shank Tank imbalance

Caeliuxrules
08.13.2017 , 04:32 PM | #1
Skank Tank = Tank with dps gear.
Shank Tank = Dps with guard, classes like jug, pt, or assassin.

Fyi: I don't care what you wanna call it, both are skank tank in my eyes. Whatever. You wanna call it skank, spank, shank, potatoes, do so. Bottom line a wannabe tank being a dps is a hybrid imbalance, period.

On topic: This debate and issue been ongoing for long time, now it's as bad as it gets with countless players playing this hybrid overturned class abomination.

Snave had a interview on this June 2016 among other issues and even Musco agreed and even commented the combat team knew the issues with guard and tank problems and agreed this was a serious issue for balance changes needed. Snave and Eric agreed a bandaid first is take away guard from dps, then Snave said exactly how to fix tanks is by making absorb or shield rating co exist for pvp where tanks actually can be tanks. Making guard only usable with a certain amount of shield rating or absorb boom fixed.

Link to interview Snave and Musco skip to 24:20
https://youtu.be/to0gNJkjIfs

My question is to Eric Musco, or any Dev who reads these forums for feedback.

Question: Are you going to address this issue in 5.4 and if not then, when?

Thanks.
Former GM of We are KAPPA and FIGHT on The Harbinger
The Swiftsure>The Fatman>The PO5>The Bastion>The Harbinger
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep.

DerSchneider
08.13.2017 , 04:55 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Caeliuxrules View Post

On topic: This debate and issue been ongoing for long time, now it's as bad as it gets with countless players playing this hybrid overturned class abomination.
Are you actually talking about skank tanks, or merc/sniper dps?

Jokes aside, don't care about tank nerfs in case all 3 tank classes get a solid DPS spec that is viable both in solo and group ranked. Right now the closest one to being viable is deception assassin which is laughable.
Nightrain Juggernaut

Caeliuxrules
08.13.2017 , 05:03 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DerSchneider View Post
Are you actually talking about skank tanks, or merc/sniper dps?

Jokes aside, don't care about tank nerfs in case all 3 tank classes get a solid DPS spec that is viable both in solo and group ranked. Right now the closest one to being viable is deception assassin which is laughable.
Tanks with dps gear being able to guard, anyone being a dps and trying to tank was and is redundant.

Guard and shield needs tuned where you have to have a absortion or shield rating to equip.

Taking guard from dps and doing as such as I mentioned solves the problem.

Evolixe
08.13.2017 , 05:05 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DerSchneider View Post
Right now the closest one to being viable is deception assassin which is laughable.
You w0t m8?

Just because the tank spec is horribly OP doesn't mean Deception is a joke.
I understand why people get skewed points of view given all they play is OP specs,
however Deception is anything but unviable.
Evolixe | Exilove
Disciples of Babylon - Darth Malgus
Shadow/Sin Discord Server

Foambreaker
08.13.2017 , 05:09 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
You w0t m8?

I understand why people get skewed points of view given all they play is OP specs,
I agree it is not a joke, but it is not very good either; "average" at best.

Evolixe
08.13.2017 , 05:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
It just depends on the player. As it should.
Evolixe | Exilove
Disciples of Babylon - Darth Malgus
Shadow/Sin Discord Server

Caeliuxrules
08.13.2017 , 05:40 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
What we talking about here, assassin deception just being average?

It's really good pve and in pvp as a node guard, or sap node steal artist the best. Not to mention it's burst is pretty dam good now. Solo ranked it's still pretty good and in 4's you can't determine what is good in 4's and be biased why a meta is better than other specs and classes. Not sure why anyone would say it's average.

Can we stay on topic boys lol. 😂

DerSchneider
08.13.2017 , 07:48 PM | #8
You w0t m8?

I probably spelled it wrong. Joke is that only one of 6 dps specs (of pt sin and jugg) is borderline viable, and only in solo ranked. I've seen probably 4-5 deception sins that are performing good in high elo bracket on TRE, while most decent ones are stuck in 1200-1500. In team ranked vengeance jugg probably can compete with FOTM merc/sniper/mara dps meta, but that's it.
So before nerfing skank tanks all tank classes should get a balanced dps spec (unless FOTM classes are going to get nerfed, but that's not happening), otherwise such classes will become total garbage. Also all healing specs should be nerfed hard, otherwise each trinity arena will become an acid fest (which is frequently happening now).

About regs I really don't care, neither should anyone. If defensive stats will be actually working, the heal+tank imbalance will become even worse. If the problem is damage, it's probably a l2p issue.
Nightrain Juggernaut

Foambreaker
08.13.2017 , 08:13 PM | #9
It just depends on the player. As it should.
When discussing/designing balance it is always, except when measuring new player experience, based on "players of equal skill".

...any BS can be justified with comments about skills.

Burgdawg
08.14.2017 , 02:38 AM | #10
Guard needs to be restricted to tanks again, and something needs to be done about skank tanking. Maybe restrict tank specs to tank gear and make them not benefit period from dps mods.
Mace Windu: "I'm a prophet. I can see the future..." Thug: "Sure you can. What do you see?" Mace Windu: "You. Bleeding." ―Mace Windu and a very unfortunate thug