Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR a dead game?

orangenee
08.28.2017 , 09:14 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
yes there is one coming but development will take years and still, its not an online game, just single players one-time playthrough.
Given the amount of solo/story only players it would annihilate the playerbase in this game.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

cool-dude
08.31.2017 , 05:32 AM | #22
Yeah, another single player star wars rpg would kill this game.
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"

Necrotic_Rose
08.31.2017 , 08:01 AM | #23
I was gone from this game for 2 or 3 yrs due to rl and playing other games but i've returned and its far from being a dead game. Granted it may seem quiet on alot of worlds but its because most ppl are either on the fleet, in flagships or on Odessen.
Friend referral http://www.swtor.com/r/DZxpkt
For those who want to use it and get the [Preferred Friend Bundle] and an extra 7 days subscription (subs/previous subs only as doesn't work for f2p unless used to make an account and gives different rewards).

Marauder
08.31.2017 , 10:43 AM | #24
I just returned from about a year away. I was forced to transfer from PoT5 to JC. The part that stinks is I could only take what's in my inventory, so I lost years of items I was forced to leave behind. The collection stuff was helpful but I was forced to abandon so much.

On top of that the game was clearly changed to be almost a solo game. I like the story, BW has always done that well, but it doesn't feel like an MMO anymore. I absolutely LOVE the Star Wars IP and I think BW has done a nice job creating this world, but the game has lost that MMO feel to me. The combat and character animations are also showing their age, there is still no supported mouselook combat mode to at least make combat more fun and interactive. I am supposed to be this all power jedi but I cant even jump up on a hill, I need to click something to jump up, its silly. You look at some of the high end FPS games, or FPSMMO type games like warframe (MMO lite for sure) but you see the character movement and fighting and its so fun and action packed you wonder why these MMO games like ToR, STO, ESO, DCUO etc can't do that level of quality, animation, movement, etc etc but within their game. These games look and play like there 5-6-7+ years old.

I play because its SW but I had every alt, and maxed cargo holds and legacy holds full of stuff I have been forced to leave behind, so if they don't freshen this game up soon I will likely move to something else.

At the very least they should make character transfer's from dead server's free be able transfer all your stuff, or just merge servers already.

Make combat more fun and interactive, or at least make it an option with a mouselook combat mode that is supported. Combat is clunky.

Do something to bring back that feel of it being an MMO, not a solo RPG with some multiplayer. Ill just get BF2 for that and have much better combat and graphics.

I feel the ghosts of SWG haunting me.....

ZombieMarkTwain
08.31.2017 , 12:12 PM | #25
I think everyone at EA and Bioware realize that they need to do something to help stop hemorrhaging players. I just returned to the game myself after a year's absence. I'm looking forward to seeing what they release in the future and I know that Keith and Eric are doing their best to appease players.

BellumEstBellum
08.31.2017 , 04:05 PM | #26
It's not dead yet, as I think there are a lot of new players joining up. I'm a SWTOR vet, and I came back recently for the Eternal Empire chapters, which I find really interesting. I think the problem with SWTOR is that it is a game that people only sort of wanted. People wanted a new Knights of the Old Republic, not an mmo. So the more single player this game becomes, I think the more Bioware fans will flock to it. However, compared to modern single player games like the Witcher 3, it obviously suffers graphically. I think the present chapter is really interesting, that along with multiple origins, and squad mates with excellent voice acting, are keeping this game going. I think the subscription and the market (the pay to win mentality) might be keeping new players away as well.

Hoppinswtor
08.31.2017 , 05:51 PM | #27
some servers are dead, but I don't think the game will truly die until 2019 or so. maybe late 2018 depending on content updates etc. servers will die (shadowlands probably has about 6 months left in it) but yeah.

the game has easily lost a third of its population since 5.0, and probably two thirds since the start of 3.0. total players is probably like 10-15 percent what it was at launch.
Hoppin <Death Smile>
Hoppinator (Merc), Hoppin (Sorc), Hopposites (Mara), Hoptimal (Sin)
Hopalicious (Jugg), Oppinator (Operative), Hoptimize (PT)

t-darko
09.01.2017 , 02:59 AM | #28
Guess it's was inevitable for a "The Game Is Dying" thread to turn up on this forum. Usually I get a bit testy about these misplaced posts, but I'll bite this once; EA will suck this potato dry and then some as long as the game isn't in the red on the budget sheets. There, as you were . . . move along

EDIT; "Welcome to the STAR WARS discussion Forum! This forum exists so that Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ community members can discuss the larger STAR WARS galaxy, including the movies, books, comics, and other video games."

Johrun
09.01.2017 , 04:06 AM | #29
How's a game with thousands of players dead? Red Eclipse is good for pvp. But yeah, swtor needs some new repeatable pvp content - like a dozen of new warzones - and some new operations (content available mostly/exclusively to subs).

Zackthegamerone
09.03.2017 , 06:15 PM | #30
The Harbinger is an active server US