How did it come to this?

Deewe

It isn't just the new code of the restart of

but the number of days since Plumz predicted the game would sink.

I think at this point all of us SW (and SWTOR) fans just simply have to acknowledge the fact that the game is going to sink unless a major overhaul is done. Unfortunately, with the BW record on how fast things are done this is not going to happen soon. If it does at all.

//

I followed the game development for over a year. Read forums with curiosity and anticipation of what will the experience of playing it be. There were red flags raised by beta testers more and more of them as the time of launch was approaching. Devs chose their own path, chose to ignore some obvious and valid points made by people who've been playing mmos for over a decade. Results we can all see right now.

//

A lot of us are really angry and upset. Not because we hate the game. We love the game and we wanted it so much to succeed. The frustration is on part because lots of us clearly see why the game is falling, yet the Devs are stubbornly hanging on their vision of what they want us to do.

//

I am going to run my sub and not renew it. Not because the game is beyond saving. Because the devs at BW are refusing to abandon “their” visions

//

How many subs do you need to lose before you get it BW? If ever...

Interesting how 5+ years later the prediction were indeed true, to the specifics.

I'm afraid we are still too much on the same trend, ex: Lack of 2 way communication with the players, PvP gear that matters, gear preview window bug categorized as minor, lack of class story on the road-map, announcement that UI mods would ruin the game.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry what ... this thread is about someone predicting the games demise that you are quoting for truth when the game has yet to meet it's demise?

Either way ... Oh yay another doom and gloom thread, were you not getting enough attention in the other threads?

I don't think this is really fair to say with how things have been going.

The devs, by way of Keith have been speaking to the players, both individually and on the boards way more often than ever before.

The road map will soon be forth coming, it's August and I think we'll get a fair number of answers on it.

The preview bug is a bit annoying, and I hope it will be fixed. As for PVP gear, my stance is, 'don't know, don't care'. PVP isn't my thing.

For the things I enjoy doing, they have been producing interesting things, I just wish they could do it more. I would have liked for Manaan to be a bit bigger and have more size variety in hooks. I would like to see more decos and some of the pieces to be more common like the medical stanchions...for what they are, they are disgusting expensive and rare, when something like that should be dropping like snow on a winter's day in Winterfell.

I don't think it's fair at all to say the game is in its last throes. People have been saying that for years. And for whoever the OP was to say they don't listen, they do. There was a time only dark side could use red crystals and certain clothes and only light could use green and blue and certain clothes. For years we've been able to 'play our own reality' and look more or less how we want and wield the saber we want, we can customize our looks. There are other examples, but I don't have time to go through it all.

I believe in the game, it's not 'dying' this is just another La Fin du Monde thread.

Edited by Lunafox

Wow, what a genius to suggest that, one day, an MMO would be shut down. Truly, he is clairvoyant. A genius!

In seriousness:

While there are plenty of real criticisms to raise, pretending a general statement five years ago that an MMO will, one day, sink, is silly and adds nothing real to the conversation.

I predict that someday the world will end when the sun dies.

Remember this post so I can say in 5 billion years-ish I was right.

**Also, that guy made no reference to any of the problems the game really faces, and wrote really generally, except kinda sorta alluding to Dev's not responding to every players criticism, but not even really that. Details, details, details

Edited by MissilyMilcasia

I don't think this is really fair to say with how things have been going.

The devs, by way of Keith have been speaking to the players, both individually and on the boards way more often than ever before.

This sums it up.

For all of the natural doom and gloom that players revert to, Keith and his team are slowly changing things. Perhaps not to what we want them to be though. There is a certain stubborn refusal to give ground and start making the game fun to play for the players, because it doesn't fit their vision. You can say that about a lot of developers though (normally those games don't last long and were not an MMO title though).

I think the main problem is this, the developers are not developing this game as an MMO title, they're set in developing any old normal short shelf life game. It's not a good mindset.

And yet another doom and gloom post, yaay! It's not like people have been posting these threads with ~predictions~ since the dawn of time (of this game). But you know, I get their tactic. It's the same as with all the END OF THE WORLD predictions and eventually someday indeed an asteroid may hit the Earth and then they'll be like "see! We predicted it!". Same is with the doomsayers of the game, eventually like in many years ahead in the future SWTOR will shut down (one way or another that's inevitable) and all the doomsayers will start screaming and screeching "WE TOLD YOU". So as long as they're consistent with their doomsaying threads and ~o~predictions~o~ eventually they'll get it right.

Deewe, you have been very negative lately. You used to be much more constructive in your criticism. Why is that?

And out of curiosity: How long did you search until you found this one post that suited your message?

Sorry for that. Guess I'm losing hope the game will ever recover. Makes me really sad those days.

Did not search for the post, (stumbled upon it while looking for the recap or SWG I wrote long time ago.)

It stuck me how he was right.

Not to say Keith isn't trying but tis not enough. Also look like BW mindset barely changed.

Finally I'd like to highlight this very part of the OP post:

Is the game going to die? Sure not. There will be enough interests for some time to keep it alive. But, those of you who keep saying “Let the whiners go, we don't care about the numbers, let those who enjoy the game stay and play..” - clearly don't realize the power of subscription numbers
Edited by Deewe

{Holy expletive, batman - someone predicted this game would die five years ago? Amazing. Truly, truly amazing. And here I thought the game would last at least as long as the Galactic Republic.}

And "true to the specifics"? What specifics is that? That some people have been unhappy and unsubbed? Not actually very specific.

Edited by CrazyCT

This sums it up.

For all of the natural doom and gloom that players revert to, Keith and his team are slowly changing things. Perhaps not to what we want them to be though. There is a certain stubborn refusal to give ground and start making the game fun to play for the players, because it doesn't fit their vision. You can say that about a lot of developers though (normally those games don't last long and were not an MMO title though).

I think the main problem is this, the developers are not developing this game as an MMO title, they're set in developing any old normal short shelf life game. It's not a good mindset.

I have gone above and beyond to give Keith the freedom to take the reins and do what this game needed...but what good has that done? He's given us an Ops boss every 2 months, 2 houses and a FP...FAR more than his predecessor ever did, but what has he done to make the game more fun? EVERY change they've been making is doing more harm than good lately...not the content additions, but crap like "balance" and changes to UC's...it's getting very disheartening.

When will he actually start listening to our pleas?

I have gone above and beyond to give Keith the freedom to take the reins and do what this game needed...but what good has that done? He's given us an Ops boss every 2 months, 2 houses and a FP...FAR more than his predecessor ever did, but what has he done to make the game more fun? EVERY change they've been making is doing more harm than good lately...not the content additions, but crap like "balance" and changes to UC's...it's getting very disheartening.

When will he actually start listening to our pleas?

I think he has to fix the debacle of 4.0 and 5.0, where all of the content you and I enjoy (MMO content) were left to fall by the wayside. I think of SWTOR as a large ship on the high seas. It actually takes a long time to turn around, and during the turn it can feel like you've come to a complete stop.

Anyway, I'm still optimistic. Time will tell. I'm actually a bit bored with the game at the moment. We will see what the December expansion brings.

Anyway, I'm still optimistic. Time will tell. I'm actually a bit bored with the game at the moment. We will see what the December expansion brings.

You really think we'll still get one? We're in August and haven't heard a peep about it...we're looking at September for the next Ops boss and maybe November for the 4th? You think they'll have an XMAS expansion??

You really think we'll still get one? We're in August and haven't heard a peep about it...we're looking at September for the next Ops boss and maybe November for the 4th? You think they'll have an XMAS expansion??

I do. But maybe you are right about me expecting much... I suspect the XP will all be 90% story because BWA ignored story this whole year.

8 months into 2017! They have to have been doing something, right?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

It's been a while, but I think SoR got a pretty late announcement, but had some story lead-ins with Forged Alliances, sorta like we've seen with Iokath, and then Umbara this month. So I wouldn't completely rule it out. But I wouldn't expect one, either, and I don't think that's a bad thing, per se. Hold off, correct the course, then figure out the way forward. If they keep bringing new content, then "expansions" are mostly just fluff anyway. We don't ever need another rise for the level cap ever again, for example.

It's been a while, but I think SoR got a pretty late announcement, but had some story lead-ins with Forged Alliances, sorta like we've seen with Iokath, and then Umbara this month. So I wouldn't completely rule it out. But I wouldn't expect one, either, and I don't think that's a bad thing, per se. Hold off, correct the course, then figure out the way forward. If they keep bringing new content, then "expansions" are mostly just fluff anyway. We don't ever need another rise for the level cap ever again, for example.

I hope you're right, and I completely agree (no more level cap raises).

The game has past through a lot of phases, and cannot be put in a simple continuous line from the start to the present state. There are similarities, and recurring errors, but like ppl said, the game has 5 years. So its diffiult to try to find its own doom in his origin. Imo, before the transition to Storyteller, it was an excellent MMO. Edited by leonlotus

I hope you're right, and I completely agree (no more level cap raises).

Please don't put me on a stake... I'd strongly suggest not to expect an Xpack this year.

Reason: Keith explained they are focusing on regular content delivery this year instead of big ones.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though, still don't want you guys to build up false expectations and be sorely disappointed.

Funny, I think any game that is past the 5 year mark while still having a decent % of total MMO subs didn't exactly crash and burn. I had exactly the same concerns as the quoted original poster, and still did for the next 5 years. But:

a) I still like the game

b) I never thought the game was a failure and still don't

c) it didn't mean things could never change

Finally, earlier this year we got a game director who listens and also plays the game. While I still think the pace of development is crazy slow for this size customer base, I can tell he's listening to the players and working on the most requested things.

Please don't put me on a stake... I'd strongly suggest not to expect an Xpack this year.

Reason: Keith explained they are focusing on regular content delivery this year instead of big ones.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though, still don't want you guys to build up false expectations and be sorely disappointed.

That's not much of an explanation when the regular content delivery has been smaller than ever and not exactly swift.

I'm holding out hope for 2018 being better but 2017 was sunk the minute 5.0 was put into development. Even story fans were extremely lukewarm to 4.0 and rather than course correct they doubled down. That put the company on a remedial path for 2017, with only hints of a turnaround due to Keith's leadership.

Its been a few years since this game has delivered a true expansion anyways. Its all been patches with level increases if you ask me. Its hard to imagine December coming without them claiming new expansion. But i don't know what to believe. Doesn't feel like we are on track for this year? Isn't this op supposed to have 5 bosses? Its August and we only have 2 bosses. What are they going to do release the last 1-2 bosses and then add a level cap the same month?

Everyone acts like Kieth is the prince that's promised. Sure he responded to a lot of people at first. But then his aggravation became clear and unless the dev tracker is lying he really doesn't post as much as he did, Hopefully its cause he's hard at work.

Supposedly they had to cut a lot of the badfeeling podcast interview. But ive seen a lot of "exciting" tings from bioware. Like star fortresses, tourney, uprisings, and a lot of other gimmicks that weren't worth the effort if you ask me. Meanwhile earlier staples of the game go ignored. Like open worlds, legacy levels, datacrons, The list goes on and on.

Best i can say about this game is its surviving. IMO its neither dying or thriving.