Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to save Galactic Starfighter from the steaming hot pile of garbage it is now.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How to save Galactic Starfighter from the steaming hot pile of garbage it is now.

SeCKSEgai
08.19.2017 , 10:48 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Like, hold on Despon. You are focusing on the logical part- the idea that maybe he doesn't know how kills and assists work. I want to focus on the strange emotional thing going on- some guy saw a low health target and killed it, which is correct play, and the resulting poster thinks it is somehow about him. That's like... bizarre.
As you improve you can see how even the little things play a bigger role in the grand scheme of things. Like even when I top the board, I can tell when my teammates had little to do with it versus everything to do with it.

Despon was explaining how someone with more knowledge would interpret the situation where as Alrik was explaining his feelings when he was a newer pilot. Verain comes in to follow with an insult.

I think someone's spent way too much time flying with the easy win group stroking the ego.

IF you want to actually start gaining more pilots than gsf bleeds you really should be more considerate of just how important the new pilot is, which includes their thoughts.
Réiyn - Maryss - Rölánd - Monéy - Retrocide - Reiyñ

Rélentless - Reíyn - Rölañd - Tàtiana

phalczen
08.20.2017 , 02:05 AM | #42
I'm not going to belabor the point too much, again I seem to be bumping this hot pile of a thread. But, there are often posters who are quite obviously trolls. The feelings such a poster presents in a thread like this are similar to threads the person posts in any pvp thread, any thread about the difficulty of pick up groups for flashpoints, for operations, etc. The game gives a very clear message when a player is not contributing to the match. Ironically, the game says in red text, you are not contributing. Despon is clearly right to make sure that readers comprehend that there is no kill stealing in GSF and any damage you do on a red ship is valuable and useful. Some subtle trolls may choose to pretend to make such an experience a personal insult, but then, we should seek to educate those who would be misled by the troll, and then ensure we don't feed or otherwise defends the troll ... like I am feeding them right now.

Alrik is 100% correct that the game needs some type of flytext to explain why a perfectly executed shot was evaded. This is something for which we have all been asking for a very long time.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

AlrikFassbauer
08.20.2017 , 05:16 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
Alrik is 100% correct that the game needs some type of flytext to explain why a perfectly executed shot was evaded. This is something for which we have all been asking for a very long time.
I agree to this. The game needs to be so much more informative.

My worst fear is to get a message "you are not contributing" becaue everybody has too much evasion, to put it rather extremely.
As a Newbie, it can be utterly frustrating not to get any kills.

Despon is clearly right to make sure that readers comprehend that there is no kill stealing in GSF and any damage you do on a red ship is valuable and useful.
Then tell that to the new pilots. Every bit of information is useful.

Besides, it depends on how someone defines "competitive play. PvP.
If someone believes in "the more kills I get, the better", then he or she is competitive, too.
If someone believes in "the more contributions, the better ... Well, that's contribution to a team effort, if there is a competition between 2 teams.

So much of the experience of veteran GSF pilots comes simply from research. So many things are not explained within the game. Evasion is just an example of that - of a thing researched, spread, and then taken as one "everybody knows this". It's like assuming that everybody knows the name Ulisses used towards Polyphemos.

Things are researched, spread - but Newbies need to find this information in the first place, since the game doesn't tell them this information. They need to research themselves - good thing is that veteran players are already presenting that to them. But it is still an experience gap, because Newbies not only need top research that, they also need to apply this won knowledge.

My own case is even worse : I always dismissed this "5 % evasion" (just as an example of wording) as "not interesting" because 5 % are o small.
And I believe it to be so small because of my Dyscalculia I simply cannot imagine any good coming from these tiny numbers. Even 20 % doesn't say much to me.
If I had a cake graphic showing me how big 20 % are on a cake, then I would be able to understand that better.

The only positive thing in that is that people with Dyscalculia are the vast minority. I fully expect everyone else here to be fully able to comprehend what 5 % are.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

Verain
08.20.2017 , 12:44 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I agree to this. The game needs to be so much more informative.
I think the game could use more information. I think it needs flytext. Other changes I would like include: ship icons on maps could distinguish between ship types. Able to bind keys for "cycle through gunship", "cycle through scout", etc. Flytext on damage taken could distinguish by font or punctuation between railguns, mines/drones, ship blasters, lockon weapons. Flytext on dodging could say "dodge" (similar to the flytext we all agre on for when you aim at a ship and miss due to combat roll). Enemy ship arrow icons on HUD (showing you what direction the enemies are in if you turn, the one that currently distinguishes by target and non/target) could have a bit of a difference depending on class.

Like none of us are really in any disagreement on this, but those would all take dev work.

Quote:
My worst fear is to get a message "you are not contributing" becaue everybody has too much evasion, to put it rather extremely.
This message should be cleared if you properly aim a shot and the combat roll misses on live.
It should also, but does not, clear if you shoot a missile and the target cancels the missile. In both cases you are clearly contributing- when you clicked the shot correctly, you contributed statistically to your team's success, and when you launched the missile you got a cooldown. I do have some problems with the non-contributing message, which tends to punish girl bombers on TDM, as it has no way to distinguish between someone sitting in a pipe and someone carefully LOSing enemies while maintaining a nest.

Quote:
And I believe it to be so small because of my Dyscalculia I simply cannot imagine any good coming from these tiny numbers. Even 20 % doesn't say much to me.
If I had a cake graphic showing me how big 20 % are on a cake, then I would be able to understand that better.
My suggestion would be to sketch out these game numbers then, if you think getting a visual would really help. Alternatively, if you ask for some kind of visualization in any GSF math thread, I suspect you'll find people who will love drawing a graph.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

SeCKSEgai
08.20.2017 , 01:46 PM | #45
Roland, it is not necessary for us to tolerate toxicity simply to maintain a queue size. The game is hardly so desperate for pilots that we need to just accept griefing. Call outs are not allowed on the forums, but if someone makes a thread about how they deliberately sabotage games, I think it's fair game to shame that type of behavior, and use the available mechanisms in game to report the behavior of an individual person.
It's less of a tolerate, more an understanding. In 4.0 I saw a of griefing from upset pilots. One guy self-destructed over 30 times at least once against drak and essentially forced them into spawn camping to win the game. I haven't seen that once since coming back.

Now in comparison, in the time I've spent on tre I've been amazed at the frequency and more so consistency of pops. However, at the same time, their one sided matches are typically far worse than harby. In all that time, I've only seen one person rage in the time spent on TRE. He said to the team to learn to dps. I then explained I had started my character the day before and was still lacking in upgrades yet still managed to hit top 5 on the board somewhere. He eventually calmed down and apologize, explaining he was just so sick of losing so often. A few matches later we ate another loss and he gave up and went imp side, once again letting people know he was simply sick of losing.

Now on harby, I can't remember getting pop after pop, even in 4.0. It may be the most populated American server, but it seems pretty clear to me that the Euro's are a bit more willing to fly. That TRE Reiyn is now level 41, and her scout finally has armor pen. Her quarrel even topped the board. I definitely saw the latency impacting play, but wasn't so bad that it was too high a price to pay.

Some subtle trolls may choose to pretend to make such an experience a personal insult, but then, we should seek to educate those who would be misled by the troll, and then ensure we don't feed or otherwise defends the troll ... like I am feeding them right now.
The OP clearly was a bit rude and obnoxious - but I haven't seen a post from him in some time. Given that its mostly been a bit of debate between me, des, greetz and verain. As I've basically been using the OP as an example of just how poorly the new player experience can be, one can only assume that you're referring to me as the troll for offering the opposing view.

With as many alts as I have with fully maxed ships, it should be clear that I'm invested in GSF just as much as anyone here. My message hasn't differed since I originally left before 5.0 was released - that we need to improve the new player experience to bolster the dwindling GSF community, at least on harb.
Réiyn - Maryss - Rölánd - Monéy - Retrocide - Reiyñ

Rélentless - Reíyn - Rölañd - Tàtiana