Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to save Galactic Starfighter from the steaming hot pile of garbage it is now.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How to save Galactic Starfighter from the steaming hot pile of garbage it is now.

Belthorian
08.03.2017 , 05:26 PM | #1
How anyone could come up with the idea of having a space starfighter game and not include Stick/HOTAS/Rudder Peddle is so stupid it is beyond comprehension.
Bioware/EA seems to want to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator and create products that are hot garbage. If you wan't Galactic Starfighter to succeed implement STICK/HOTAS/RUDDER support ASAP. Also include Track IR support.
Next how about implementing a HUD that ACTUALLY TELLS YOU SOMETHING. The fact that there is no speed indicator or any useful information on the HUD is face palm worthy.

If you catered to SPACE SIM and FLIGHT SIM enthusiasts, you would have a customer base of people that only played GSF. I know you are going to have some crybabies out there who say whaaa whaaa whaaa it is not fair, I do not have a Stick/HOTAS combo. Well Boo Freaking Hoo. Casual gamers are not who you should be marketing to, they get bored easily and move on to the next shiny toy that comes out. X-Wing VS Tie Fighter was a huge success, it had a huge community that played it for YEARS. If GSF was revamped into a proper sim it would attract players.

GSF is so bad and not fun to play, I will enter a match and just fly around and shoot at random things. I do not bother with trying to win, play the objectives, nothing. I am only there for the daily rewards and CXP points to level my toons. If it were actually fun to play I would invest serious time into learning the game.

Sorrai
08.03.2017 , 06:42 PM | #2
There are plenty out there--me included--who strongly disagree with you. If it's one thing I've learned from the countless critiques GSF receives is that it is despised the most by those who understand it the least.

Pay attention to the recent posts by the Dev's regarding GSF and you will find 3 threads asking for specific feedback. If joystick support means that much to you I suggest you add your input to the pile. Rest assured there are already others who have voiced similar grievances. I don't share your opinion. Most of us who know how to play get along perfectly fine with a keyboard and mouse but I know this is a topic that has existed since GSF's launch and if there is a way to make the joystick people happy they should try to implement it.

krfsm
08.04.2017 , 03:05 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Belthorian View Post
If you catered to SPACE SIM and FLIGHT SIM enthusiasts, you would have a customer base of people that only played GSF. I know you are going to have some crybabies out there who say whaaa whaaa whaaa it is not fair, I do not have a Stick/HOTAS combo. Well Boo Freaking Hoo. Casual gamers are not who you should be marketing to, they get bored easily and move on to the next shiny toy that comes out. X-Wing VS Tie Fighter was a huge success, it had a huge community that played it for YEARS. If GSF was revamped into a proper sim it would attract players.
Is there room for a Star Wars themed space sim? Probably.
Will GSF be it? No. It makes no sense. Make it a game of its own, so it can have a suitable engine and be marketed to the right group of people.
Is stick support in GSF worth it? Wouldn't hurt, but it's probably hard to compete with mouse for shooting in the current implementation.

Quote:
GSF is so bad and not fun to play, I will enter a match and just fly around and shoot at random things. I do not bother with trying to win, play the objectives, nothing. I am only there for the daily rewards and CXP points to level my toons. If it were actually fun to play I would invest serious time into learning the game.
Since the GSF rewards aren't that impressive when you just mindlessly fly around - have you considered doing something else with better rewards instead?

Storm-Cutter
08.04.2017 , 03:28 AM | #4
If you frequently ruin 15 other people's experience by doing something you hate - over and over- then, with all due respect, maybe you need go home and re-think your life.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

caederon
08.04.2017 , 09:58 AM | #5
***WARNING*** This thread rehashes many old arguments! Engage at your own peril.

How anyone could come up with the idea of having a space starfighter game and not include Stick/HOTAS/Rudder Peddle is so stupid it is beyond comprehension.
Your comprehension skills need some work. Just because you don't like the control scheme doesn't mean it's wrong or works poorly. Freelancer worked spectacularly with mouse controls. It also had a very similar 3rd-person perspective for controlling your ship. Mouse control makes plenty of sense.

Bioware/EA seems to want to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator and create products that are hot garbage. If you wan't Galactic Starfighter to succeed implement STICK/HOTAS/RUDDER support ASAP. Also include Track IR support.
Yes, expecting players of an F2P MMORPG to have/buy extra peripherals that are not used anywhere else in the game is a smart business decision.
Or not? GSF isn't designed to work with those systems from a conceptual standpoint or a mechanical one. It's not a flight sim. It's not a space sim. It's a tactical arcade space shooter. Or whatever. If you want a different sort of game, go play that kind of game. If you want to try something new and see if you can adapt your skills to succeed at it, maybe alter your approach.

Next how about implementing a HUD that ACTUALLY TELLS YOU SOMETHING. The fact that there is no speed indicator or any useful information on the HUD is face palm worthy.
There is plenty of useful information on the HUD. It doesn't represent your speed numerically, but you have a visual representation of the throttle which also shows when you're using your afterburners. I've played thousands of matches, and never once have I thought 'if only I knew my precise speed, I'd have handled that situation much differently.' I wouldn't mind if they showed your specific speed, but it is in no way necessary to gameplay.

The HUD shows: your throttle setting, your shield strength across both arcs, your hull strength, your active weapons, your abilities, your current target, a lead reticle to fire at, the range to your target, the firing arc of your Primary and Secondary weapons, the buffs/debuffs on your current target, the buffs/debuffs on your ship, who your current target is targeting, a minimap with all ships in sensor range represented and their facing, the direction of any weapons fire you're taking, whether you are currently being missile-locked, your Weapon Power Pool, your Engine Power Pool, the location of the three nodes A B C in Domination matches... and probably more stuff. I guess none of that is useful to you?

GSF is not a space sim. It is not scientifically modeling space flight. Don't expect it to behave like one or offer the same kind of information a simulation would.

If you catered to SPACE SIM and FLIGHT SIM enthusiasts,
...you'd probably want to make a game that is a space sim, or a flight sim. GSF is neither.

you would have a customer base of people that only played GSF. I know you are going to have some crybabies out there who say whaaa whaaa whaaa it is not fair, I do not have a Stick/HOTAS combo. Well Boo Freaking Hoo.
Your whole post is a mean-spirited, whiny rant about why you want things to be precisely your way or no way at all, and you expect people to respond positively to this?

Casual gamers are not who you should be marketing to, they get bored easily and move on to the next shiny toy that comes out. X-Wing VS Tie Fighter was a huge success,
...In 1997

Twenty years ago.

it had a huge community that played it for YEARS. If GSF was revamped into a proper sim it would attract players.
So you think it is smart to stick a space simulator that requires a wholly different set of peripherals into a F2P MMORPG? How about you go make an MMORPG, aim it at a casual player base, cultivate a general feel of 'this game is easy to play and get into and can be played without much study' and THEN stick a complex space simulator inside it that relies on precise numeric readouts and uses no controls that are pertinent to the rest of the game. Let's see how well you do!

GSF is often cited as 'hard to get into' as is. Adding more layers of complexity on top of that would be insane.

GSF is so bad and not fun to play,
...that you won't play it, right? Right?

I will enter a match and just fly around and shoot at random things. I do not bother with trying to win, play the objectives, nothing.
Oh. So griefing everyone who does enjoy the game is a proper and responsible thing to do, and a productive way to spend your time.

Go away. Stop playing a game you don't like. Leave. Exit. You are not wanted. You are making the situation worse.

I am only there for the daily rewards and CXP points to level my toons. If it were actually fun to play I would invest serious time into learning the game.
Who cares? You come here, demand a game other than the one that exists, and publicly admit to making the gameplay experience of everyone around you worse.

Go.

Leave.

Stop playing it. Let people who actually enjoy this non-space-sim play the game that exists while you go find something that fits your narrow view of what is 'fun.' You have plenty of options these days. Good luck.

- Despon

Toraak
08.04.2017 , 10:39 AM | #6
I 100% agree with Despon. If you want a Space sim, X-wing, Tie Fighter, and X-wing Vs Tie Fighter are -->. Go see them. MMO's aren't based off of hardcore flight sim's. you should exit stage right, and let the rest of us enjoy GSF as it is.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

phalczen
08.04.2017 , 07:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by caederon View Post
There is plenty of useful information on the HUD. It doesn't represent your speed numerically, but you have a visual representation of the throttle which also shows when you're using your afterburners. I've played thousands of matches, and never once have I thought 'if only I knew my precise speed, I'd have handled that situation much differently.' I wouldn't mind if they showed your specific speed, but it is in no way necessary to gameplay.

The HUD shows: your throttle setting, your shield strength across both arcs, your hull strength, your active weapons, your abilities, your current target, a lead reticle to fire at, the range to your target, the firing arc of your Primary and Secondary weapons, the buffs/debuffs on your current target, the buffs/debuffs on your ship, who your current target is targeting, a minimap with all ships in sensor range represented and their facing, the direction of any weapons fire you're taking, whether you are currently being missile-locked, your Weapon Power Pool, your Engine Power Pool, the location of the three nodes A B C in Domination matches... and probably more stuff. I guess none of that is useful to you?
- Despon
Numbers for shield and hull remaining might be useful, sometimes qualitative representations are worse than quantitative. Numerical speed is not necessary since we don't have precise throttle control.
The HUD could also be more useful if it told people when their perfectly fired shot was Evaded.

But otherwise, Despon is right. My X52 Pro collects dust, despite the fact that Saitek even updated the software for Win 10. I'm sad about that, and I tried to get joystick support when GSF was beta, but that ship has sailed, and arguably for the better.

Go see the Developer-created Friction Points thread or the joystick thread for all sorts of logical reasoned responses as to why there is and should not be joystick support in GSF, if you care to actually "discuss" anything beyond your angry rant.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Augsust
08.04.2017 , 08:41 PM | #8
I think GSF not being 100% percent user friendly is one of the things that I like about it. My main pet peefe is that it's still based around the Battle of Kuat (and that both Admirals are no longer associated with their respective factions, and one is dead). I'd certainly be able to get into it more, if it felt more current.
L E T U S R E A C H
The Augsust Legacy - The Ebon Hawk

phalczen
08.05.2017 , 07:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Augsust View Post
I think GSF not being 100% percent user friendly is one of the things that I like about it. My main pet peefe is that it's still based around the Battle of Kuat (and that both Admirals are no longer associated with their respective factions, and one is dead). I'd certainly be able to get into it more, if it felt more current.
Unfortunately that's true about all of the repeatable end game content in the game. Look at the alderaan civil war warzone... however, with Bors Ulgo deposed, and the Star Fortress over Alderaan destroyed, it isn't implausible that the war for the throne heats up again. Consider Novare Coast... that the battle over critical Baradium deposits on Denova with Kephess dead and the Warstalkers part of the Alliance could continue. With the Eternal Empire being defeated, the arms race could certainly ramp up again and Kuat would obviously have strategic value ... I mean KDY stays influential for the next 3000 years. So, it doesn't take a lot of suspension of disbelief to think the space battles could still be going on. And, depending on your choices, both admirals could be very much alive. Assuming you save her, it's not like she physically stays on Odessen. You do run into an issue if your version of the Eternal Alliance sides with the Empire on Iokath. But, that is the pitfall with the evolution of a story based MMO.

EDIT: I mean I guess they could record new voice over for the battles to make them generic Republic or Imperial admirals instead of Zasha Ranken and Bey'wan Aygo. But I would miss Steve Blum telling me to "don't quit, keep fighting!"
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

jedimasterkiwi
08.06.2017 , 07:35 AM | #10
I only do GSF for the intro mission exp lol, other than its mostly dead no pops for hours. If it does actually pop its a solid mix of expert pilots and nubs (me) Honestly dont think they can fix it, there just is not enough interest in it. The concept is great but the execution was meh. Bit of shame though they had quite the in-depth system with all the unlocks, companion combinations and ship variety. RIP GSF you will not be missed....by me XD
Ya boi Jedimasterkiwi
Refer a Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Hv7s8q
Gives you some goodies and 7 days FREE subscription for new players and returning subscribers, so its a win-win