Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guard in pvp is overpowered

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Guard in pvp is overpowered

ttamgoud
07.26.2017 , 07:08 PM | #1
I actually really enjoy the concept of guard and I do think it is an awesome mechanic unique to swtor that really makes tank viable in pvp, but the damage that it absorbs is too much. If you were to watch a game of pvp with the top tier heals and top tier tanks playing their class to a high potential while the healer is guarded they will not die. I've been playing the game since a week after launch with only a few breaks and its only gotten really bad recently imo. I'm tired of 4 jugg tank matches with 10 kills between both teams. I believe a good solution would be simply reducing the damage that guard redirects to the tank even if its a 10-20% nerf. It would make the game much more fast paced and much more entertaining in my opinion I would love to hear anyone's opinion on the matter, especially bioware devs.
Beregen Colony
Ted Operative, Douglo Sorc, Parsehero Sniper, Deanllo Powertech, Deenlo Commando, Migger Mercenary, Donkeytech Powertech
Harbringer
Beanlo Shadow, Deango Assasin, Zeanlo Scoundrel, Deaanlo Operative, Deanfu Gunslinger, Chuckragan Commando, Deanho Sorc, Punk-rock Juggernaut, Deaanlo Operative, Dad-strength Sniper, Deanlos Guardian, Deanro Powertech, Meanlo Sentinel, Deanfo Marauder, and Deanlo Vanguard
Return to Medcenter
Chaotic Awesome

Janglor
07.26.2017 , 08:23 PM | #2
I think that is just as much a function of the devs going way overboard in DCDS from the non tank/healer classes in the last few balance changes. If the mercs/snipers around the tank/heals died a hell of a lot quicker you could focus down their support classes more effectively. Self heals are out of control for mercs especially.
STOP RESISTING
Janglor
Bo'Jangles
Diabeetus

Foambreaker
07.26.2017 , 09:26 PM | #3
My suggestion would be to double (or whatever) the damage the tank gets from the person guarded, but allow tank stats to mitigate that damage.

For a "real" tank the change should make no difference, the amount of extra damage should be tuned to be absorbed/blocked, but for skanks which are the real problem when it comes to guard, they would take a lot of damage.

Aeneas_Falco
07.26.2017 , 10:27 PM | #4
The problem isn't that guard is overpowered but that you've got DPS specs and skank tanks that guard just as well as a true tank. Guard should be adjusted so that only tank specs can use it and only tank geared can use it effectively.

KendraP
07.27.2017 , 02:31 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
The problem isn't that guard is overpowered but that you've got DPS specs and skank tanks that guard just as well as a true tank. Guard should be adjusted so that only tank specs can use it and only tank geared can use it effectively.
While I happen to agree personally, I want guard back to being tank only, I will say dps guards are very squishy. Skank tanks I happen to be on the hate train myself. I have listed my opinion literally everywhere. In a nutshell, make dps guardians/VGs less squishy, make tank gear viable, and make guard a tank thing.

Arlanon
07.27.2017 , 04:34 AM | #6
If you can't kill a guarded target:

1 - Change targets. Voila, you are now fighting an unguarded target. If the guard shifts to your new target, repeat as necessary, and/or move on to point 2.
2 - Use tactics. You can queue up with friends. There can be up to 4 of you. Use your various assortments of pushes, pulls, snares, mezzes, and hard stuns, to separate the tank from the healer (or whoever is being guarded). Stun one, kill the other.
3 - Don't queue for group content and complain that you can't solo it. This isn't your Singleplayer campaign, and you are not the Emperor's Wrath.

Beyrahl
07.27.2017 , 06:41 AM | #7
This thread was literally made last week, I think there's a topic on it still within the top 3 pages of this section, check it out.

Stellarcrusade
07.27.2017 , 08:10 AM | #8
A few points I guess need to be made..........again.

1.) It is easy to kill a guard/healer pair if you are not a moron.
2.) Guard is possibly the biggest tool a guardian has in PvP. Take away guard, is like telling guardians to stop playing PvP.
3.) Learn to Play.
4.) Learn to Play.
5.) Never ask for a nerf unless you are asking for your main character to be nerfed. Because you probably do not understand the mechanics of the nerf you are asking for. This thread is a classic example.

Isn't it curious how people always ask for nerfs of whatever ability defines another class, imagine if poor players convinced them to nerf the ability that defines your class? Should we get rid of stealth for stealth classes?

Before the utter and complete obliteration of healer in PvP (recent nerf), solid players could easily beat the guard/healer pair. Now any chump without the brain capacity to open a jar of peanut-butter and wielding a wet noodle can do it.

These nerf calls are sickening. It shows that our average intelligence in PvP has gone way way way down. They are predictable, and they will never stop coming.
1.) "massively nerf healers - because I suck and refuse to learn to play" - DONE
2.) "get rid of guards in PvP - for some reason eliminating healers didn't make the game easy enough for me"
3.) Next will be: "give me an instant-kill-all-healers-in-the-war ability, because for some reason getting rid of guard didn't make the game easy enough for me"
4.) Then: "Can I have an ability that allows me to instantly kill all other players of any type, I find I still cannot kill anyone"
5.) "Ok fine, I realize now I sucked the whole time and no amount of nerfs would change that, too bad I ruined the game by making all players quit the game due to my nerfs first".

The real solution is to buy a character rename token, change your character name to "I suck", change your legacy name to "Too lazy to try", and create a guild called "I should never PvP".

Foambreaker
07.27.2017 , 11:12 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
While I happen to agree personally, I want guard back to being tank only, I will say dps guards are very squishy. Skank tanks I happen to be on the hate train myself. I have listed my opinion literally everywhere. In a nutshell, make dps guardians/VGs less squishy, make tank gear viable, and make guard a tank thing.
That is why I suggested above to change the damage and allow tank stats to mitigate. It is a huge nerf to skanks and a reward to tanks for using real tank gear.

Win win.

Foambreaker
07.27.2017 , 11:14 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Stellarcrusade View Post
A few points I guess need to be made..........again.

1.) It is easy to kill a guard/healer pair if you are not a moron.
2.) Guard is possibly the biggest tool a guardian has in PvP. Take away guard, is like telling guardians to stop playing PvP.
3.) Learn to Play.
4.) Learn to Play.
5.) Never ask for a nerf unless you are asking for your main character to be nerfed. Because you probably do not understand the mechanics of the nerf you are asking for. This thread is a classic example.

Isn't it curious how people always ask for nerfs of whatever ability defines another class, imagine if poor players convinced them to nerf the ability that defines your class? Should we get rid of stealth for stealth classes?

Before the utter and complete obliteration of healer in PvP (recent nerf), solid players could easily beat the guard/healer pair. Now any chump without the brain capacity to open a jar of peanut-butter and wielding a wet noodle can do it.

These nerf calls are sickening. It shows that our average intelligence in PvP has gone way way way down. They are predictable, and they will never stop coming.
1.) "massively nerf healers - because I suck and refuse to learn to play" - DONE
2.) "get rid of guards in PvP - for some reason eliminating healers didn't make the game easy enough for me"
3.) Next will be: "give me an instant-kill-all-healers-in-the-war ability, because for some reason getting rid of guard didn't make the game easy enough for me"
4.) Then: "Can I have an ability that allows me to instantly kill all other players of any type, I find I still cannot kill anyone"
5.) "Ok fine, I realize now I sucked the whole time and no amount of nerfs would change that, too bad I ruined the game by making all players quit the game due to my nerfs first".

The real solution is to buy a character rename token, change your character name to "I suck", change your legacy name to "Too lazy to try", and create a guild called "I should never PvP".
Oh I know, we are play Jeapordy!! My turn!!

What is Butt Hurt?

I win