Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mastery or Power for massive damage in WZ.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Mastery or Power for massive damage in WZ.

kissingaiur
07.12.2017 , 04:42 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by snave View Post
It's not nit picking, you literally say it's one of the worst things you can do then you 180 noscope on it.

My damage went up, by a noticeable amount so I stuck with it. The parses sent over were mainly from arena games rather than regs but the TLDR conclusion I came to was they both perform relatively similarly and really personal preference is the main factor when deciding.

:sigh:

So your evidence of how a stat works in pvp is a parse in an arena? To get an accurate parse to test out differences in stats you have to parse at least for 40 mins to remove all the RNG doing the same exact rotation in the SAME EXACT environment as your other test. That's why stat tests in PvP are worthless because it's all RNG and not long enough to actually tell you the accurate conclusion.

Regardless what you are testing is a 5%~ difference in DPS which would literally be impossible to judge from a 2-4 min match lol.

If you know how Alacrity works then you should know you wont have perfect damage uptime with it because you wont be able to have 100% uptime. That means the effectiveness of the stat decreases. The more alacrity you run the MORE it impacts your DPS over time because that is how Alacrity works.

That's why the best thing to do to understand how the stats work in PvP is go from the ground up from what you know. Bant/Mutlicam did all the work for us. They can tell you straight up which stats are good and bad already. The math is here. Use PvE parses and gearing set ups. Bant did over 8000 tests of his stats to make sure he comes out with the least RNG. Then take that information and teak it for a PvP environment with the understanding of the limitations of each stat and what you want to accomplish in PvP.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

Kurj
07.12.2017 , 05:06 PM | #22
So, just to clarify for the less knowledgeable (i.e., me):

1. While the difference may be minimal, stacking mastery offers more benefits than stacking power.

2. While there is a range of opinions on the topic as far as in-game performance, stacking alacrity potentially offers more bang for your buck than stacking mastery, and the threshold for diminishing returns appears to be quite high.

Do I have that right?
Begeren Colony

Elmendra | Ozeranski | Tr'sain | Kurj

Wimbleton
07.12.2017 , 08:34 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurj View Post

1. While the difference may be minimal, stacking mastery offers more benefits than stacking power.

2. While there is a range of opinions on the topic as far as in-game performance, stacking alacrity potentially offers more bang for your buck than stacking mastery, and the threshold for diminishing returns appears to be quite high.

Do I have that right?
You've got it. One additional point: While stacking alacrity potentially offers more bang for your buck, unless you are really maximizing every chance to use that alacrity (not CCd/switching targets quickly, less/no downtime) it's possible that Mastery might fair better. If not, it's at least possible that you would do better with (after 45% crit) a balance of alacrity and mastery. Test this ratio until you find a comfort zone and do not rely heavily on the results of single performances.

Kurj
07.12.2017 , 09:16 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Wimbleton View Post
You've got it. One additional point: While stacking alacrity potentially offers more bang for your buck, unless you are really maximizing every chance to use that alacrity (not CCd/switching targets quickly, less/no downtime) it's possible that Mastery might fair better. If not, it's at least possible that you would do better with (after 45% crit) a balance of alacrity and mastery. Test this ratio until you find a comfort zone and do not rely heavily on the results of single performances.
Thank you, very much.
Begeren Colony

Ooha
07.12.2017 , 10:19 PM | #25
Alacrity is miles ahead of every stat after you find your sweet spot on crit which people argue is from 1800 all the way to 2.2k. I personally run a little under 1900. Neither mastery or power is going to increase your over all damage potential the way alacrity does because the speed at which you execute your damaging attacks even between cc's and LoS benefits from a lower gcd than a very fractional increase in over all damage potential. I've spent many regs and solos testing different set ups, and alacrity has ALWAYS helped me achieve the higher numbers. However, in pvp the highest damage does not always a win. In the instant of dueling, I would actually run a bit lower alacrity and go with more crit or mastery/power.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo

Evolixe
07.12.2017 , 11:42 PM | #26
It's not as much as a case of uptime as it is just getting damage out sooner when you do connect.
PvP isn't about total damage done anyway, it's about finding and creating killwindows.

Even so, I have yet to come across an Alacrityless sin I can't beat on total damage as well.
Evolixe | Exilove
Disciples of Babylon - Darth Malgus
Shadow/Sin Discord Server

DenariusJay
07.13.2017 , 12:05 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
It's not as much as a case of uptime as it is just getting damage out sooner when you do connect.
PvP isn't about total damage done anyway, it's about finding and creating killwindows.

Even so, I have yet to come across an Alacrityless sin I can't beat on total damage as well.
This is pretty much my thoughts on alacrity as well. You can't go wrong with 12-14% alacrity on any dps build assuming you have good APM to take advantage of it. I pvped with 12% alacrity and then dropped down to 8% for awhile and it was killing me. My entire rhythm was thrown off. That difference is definitely noticeable and having higher alacrity gives you greater control of how to take advantage of those kill windows.

basically, higher alacrity = more opportunities to be prepared.
server: The Hot Prospect (10/4/2017 #NEVERFORGET)
Characters: Olivia Munn / Rashida Jones / Alicia Keys / Denzel Washington

sumquy
07.13.2017 , 08:52 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurj View Post

Do I have that right?
almost, but you left out the most important part (and the only thing everyone seems to agree on). get your crit up to at least 40%, then decide what to do with the rest of your augs. as an example, in my gear set, i have the all of the stock pieces, a crit ear, one alacrity implant and one accuracy implant. this gives me the 110% accuracy i need for pve. am i losing a tiny bit of damage potential in pvp? probably, and in previous game versions when i had separate pvp and pve gear, i did drop all of the accuracy from my pvp gear. the caveat here, though, is that pvp gear used to be dirt cheap, whereas, now 248 gear requires a bit of work, and i am too lazy to put in the amount of work required to min/max it for such a small gain. if you do any hm operations, i would recommend following this plan, but if all you do is pvp, and you don't mind a lot of extra work for gains that will probably not even be noticeable, then you could replace the accuracy.
...how i learned to love the dot and other short stories.

Kurj
07.13.2017 , 10:45 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by sumquy View Post
almost, but you left out the most important part (and the only thing everyone seems to agree on). get your crit up to at least 40%, then decide what to do with the rest of your augs. as an example, in my gear set, i have the all of the stock pieces, a crit ear, one alacrity implant and one accuracy implant. this gives me the 110% accuracy i need for pve. am i losing a tiny bit of damage potential in pvp? probably, and in previous game versions when i had separate pvp and pve gear, i did drop all of the accuracy from my pvp gear. the caveat here, though, is that pvp gear used to be dirt cheap, whereas, now 248 gear requires a bit of work, and i am too lazy to put in the amount of work required to min/max it for such a small gain. if you do any hm operations, i would recommend following this plan, but if all you do is pvp, and you don't mind a lot of extra work for gains that will probably not even be noticeable, then you could replace the accuracy.
Thank you, that's really helpful.
Begeren Colony

Foambreaker
07.13.2017 , 11:24 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Wimbleton View Post
As long as you don't use endurance or defensive stats, get 45% crit and whatever your recommended alacrity is, the power/mastery split thereafter will make almost no difference. Unlike what whiners post all day erraday, its much less about gear and much more about playmanship.
How can it be about playmanship?

He is comparing to himself.

/facepalm