Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people hate Quinn?

IoNonSoEVero
07.12.2017 , 02:13 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
It's possible it used to be bugged, but I don't know because I've never romanced him. But I've seen many videos of players picking the "We are breaking up" option and he doesn't act like they are together in later videos.

I got the sense that Quinn's final conversation is meant to trigger after the betrayal (whether or not it does now, I don't know) because he references "the good and the bad" of everything they've been through together.

Ah. Good to know. For me I got his final convo after the Baras fight, so it was way after the betrayal. I was sort of shocked there was an option in it where the SW can say something about having children with Quinn (and again, my FSW didn't romance him and was pretty awful to him after the betrayal). It was like, "how is this even here?!"

notanjelika
08.08.2017 , 08:05 AM | #22
My reason to ..let's not say hate, but dislike Malavai Quinn : i just completed the Hutta quest on a SW, recruited Jaesa. Somehow, Quinn seemed a bit envious, like he expected me to fail. What reasons does he have to be that envious? He's a soldier, I'm a Sith, i do whatever i please, end of story.
Please bring back Jaesa Willsaam

light_senshi
08.08.2017 , 07:04 PM | #23
Quinn is stuck between a rock and a hard place when you get to chapter 3. While I understand the reason that people would prefer him dead, he at least admits to his mistake and tries to make good on it.

Diviciacus
08.08.2017 , 09:34 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by light_senshi View Post
Quinn is stuck between a rock and a hard place when you get to chapter 3. While I understand the reason that people would prefer him dead, he at least admits to his mistake and tries to make good on it.
It's also two things: incredibly callous and incredibly stupid.

Incredibly stupid: Quinn (should be) smart enough to realize a blaster pistol and two heavy battle droids isn't going to do squat against the Emperor's Wrath. He's throwing away his life; even if he stalemated the fight somehow, no Sith would suffer him to live, no matter how much he groveled afterwards.

Incredibly callous: If your SW is male, Quinn just threw away more than two years of loyal service that was apparently never loyal. If your SW is female, Quinn (probably) just threw away more than two years of relationship that was apparently a lie the whole time. If a female Warrior romances Quinn, the betrayal thus basically makes him a sociopath.

I don't hate Quinn for what he did... I mean, betraying you for a Sith who is, if not more powerful literally, than certainly more powerful politically is kind of a smart career move. I hate Quinn because he necessarily represents a moronic plot direction at his expense taken by the writers. How he went about that betrayal and how it was resolved was some of the worst writing in any Bioware game prior to KOTFE :P
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

orangenee
08.09.2017 , 09:44 AM | #25
"Really Quinn? Really? Put that pipe down."

Were my exact thoughts when that happened, seemed very whimsical if anything. He knows full well what I can do by that point and he shows up with 2 battle droids and a blaster pistol.......le sigh.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Diviciacus
08.09.2017 , 01:31 PM | #26
Actually, in thinking about this... you know when the best time for Quinn to have betrayed you would be? The Chapter 2-3 transition when Baras's minion tries to get you killed in the cave-in. Had that been Quinn it would've made slightly more sense, especially because "burying alive" feels like a much more valid way for an Imperial officer to try and kill a Sith Lord.

But he does it after you leave Voss. There's about ten minutes left in the story when he does it. The timing is utterly nonsensical.
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

IoNonSoEVero
08.09.2017 , 01:35 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Diviciacus View Post
It's also two things: incredibly callous and incredibly stupid.

Incredibly callous: If your SW is male, Quinn just threw away more than two years of loyal service that was apparently never loyal. If your SW is female, Quinn (probably) just threw away more than two years of relationship that was apparently a lie the whole time. If a female Warrior romances Quinn, the betrayal thus basically makes him a sociopath.
More than that, even - the story up through SoR take about 6 years. By the time you're at the end of Chapter 3 of the original class story it's probably safe to say you're probably close to five years in, assuming that Hutt and SoR take one more year before the player gets their carbonite nap. It's a lot to throw away.

I understand Quinn threw his loyalty in with the person he wanted to - my frustration was simply not being able to kill or remove him afterward. No way my SW would trust him to be around her, or her crew, after that (and no, my female SW had no interest in romancing him).

Spetulhu
08.09.2017 , 02:39 PM | #28
I hate Quinn because he necessarily represents a moronic plot direction at his expense taken by the writers. How he went about that betrayal and how it was resolved was some of the worst writing in any Bioware game prior to KOTFE :P
Exactly so. He was forced to betray you, but his plot was so laughably easy to defeat that a smart officer like him surely knew it would never work. Suicide by Sith is my take on it - he hoped you'd kill him fast so Baras couldn't punish him for failing.

Diviciacus
08.09.2017 , 05:27 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
More than that, even - the story up through SoR take about 6 years. By the time you're at the end of Chapter 3 of the original class story it's probably safe to say you're probably close to five years in, assuming that Hutt and SoR take one more year before the player gets their carbonite nap. It's a lot to throw away.

I understand Quinn threw his loyalty in with the person he wanted to - my frustration was simply not being able to kill or remove him afterward. No way my SW would trust him to be around her, or her crew, after that (and no, my female SW had no interest in romancing him).
It's actually quite evenly paced. Each sort of story "block" is around a year. Doesn't feel like it, but it's what's there:

http://orig00.deviantart.net/005d/f/...ha-d6wwupy.jpg

Also fun fact: in beta we could kill Quinn. But remember what Quinn's pre-KOTFE role was? He was the healer for Warriors! So you have either a tanky Jugg or a particularly squishy DPS marauder, neither of which with much sustain in a fight. People got crazy butthurt over killing their healer (back when end-story fights like Baras were HARD), so they removed the option to kill him (and a couple of other companions on other characters). That's why our options are 1) LS: Forgive 2) DS: Choke 3) DS: Choke... again.

IoNonSoEVero
08.09.2017 , 06:21 PM | #30
It's actually quite evenly paced. Each sort of story "block" is around a year. Doesn't feel like it, but it's what's there:

http://orig00.deviantart.net/005d/f/...ha-d6wwupy.jpg

Also fun fact: in beta we could kill Quinn. But remember what Quinn's pre-KOTFE role was? He was the healer for Warriors! So you have either a tanky Jugg or a particularly squishy DPS marauder, neither of which with much sustain in a fight. People got crazy butthurt over killing their healer (back when end-story fights like Baras were HARD), so they removed the option to kill him (and a couple of other companions on other characters). That's why our options are 1) LS: Forgive 2) DS: Choke 3) DS: Choke... again.
Eh, my bad. It's 6 years to KOTFE, and I hadn't realized the expansions took so much time.

I knew about the killing Quinn in beta thing - I think it's mentioned above. From what I heard people didn't understand that they actually *were* killing Quinn and losing their only healer and got upset, yes. When they changed the companions to versatile roles that problem was solved, but I guess they didn't want to revise the class stories at that point. I literally did not use Quinn even once during the class stories, so if they'd given me the option to 86 him, I certainly would have taken it, happily.