Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

GSF Discussion: Itemization

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vyrann
07.06.2017 , 07:35 PM | #21
I have two main suggestions for potential GSF itemization/vendor items (and one half-suggestion that goes with the first).

[1] I would love to see a GSF vendor selling 1:1 scale decorations of the various starfighter models for either faction, like the models we see lining the hangars on the fleets, just in decoration form. These would obviously be something perhaps high-tiered/expensive, but I figure that if we've seen full-size sandcrawlers and the like become decorations already, that it wouldn't be too far of a stretch, scale-wise.

[1.5] On the above note, and this is taking it a step further, but it would be pretty awesome for GSF players to potentially acquire a 1:1 scale decoration of their own customized ship that they use in GSF. Granted, this is a project that would go above just making some new items, but it would be a pretty cool sight to, say, see your GSF ship sitting at your stronghold's landing pad, or to see your guild's flagship hangar filled with your guild members' respective GSF ships.

[2] My last suggestion would be to eventually see more cosmetic pilot outfits for either faction that focused on specific pilot suits for their correlating starfighter types, like:
  • Imperial Scout Pilot Suit
  • Imperial Bomber Pilot Suit
  • Republic Gunship Pilot Suit
  • etc.
Perhaps primarily using a certain ship and achieving a GSF goal with it unlocks the ability to purchase the corresponding pilot outfit from the vendor. Or, if not, just having the vendor sell them for credits/points would still be great without needing to have some system for unlocking them for purchase.

These are just a few ideas I had for GSF itemization in a cosmetic sense that could make for more tangible "ground game" rewards, some of them more directly reflecting a player's GSF experience and involvement.
\\//\\//\\//

Costello
07.06.2017 , 07:37 PM | #22
I think this is vital.

Fleet and Ship requisition needs to be as viable as any other method of enhancing the 'end' or ground game experience. If I'm a fully competent PvPer and do both ground and space PvP I should be able to gear up regardless of which pops. If I'm the rarest of rare player who experience all aspects of the game I shouldn't have different currencies for different aspects. Maxed out my ships no problem I'll use the fleet rep for something else. Equally on the flip side, I'm a ground PvPer I fancy a go at GSF it shouldn't be a separate experience that I have to start regrinding currency in. Equally given the forced PvP element of GSF it would be great if people could do other content to get their ships geared up to put them in a position they may last a little longer. Skills going to show through but at least your not in a one shot ship if you don't want to be.

I don't believe the development team has to time or the resources to 'fix' GSF, making it so it can be enjoyed and is rewarding as part of the complete experience and not a subset of the PvP experience is the cheapest and easiest method to make it more inclusive and more possible to get into.

Just to be clear this is not suggesting that selling some decorations form PvP would do this. The only people that would appeal to are people desperate to decorate their house that overcome their aversion to being ganked in GSF and having their team hate them for taking up a slot with an awful ship unable to do anything expect lose the match just so the can decorate an instanced building. Thats got to be a very small sub set of people.

Ramalina
07.06.2017 , 08:07 PM | #23
I'm really pleased with the loot GSF is handing out right now. I have an Alt that has gotten to command level 220 or so just grinding the master all imperial ships achievement (not quite done, not sure if I'll hit 300 before I finish) and tier 3 gear from GSF and enough whatsits to upgrade a chunk of that to tier 4? Well clearly the Imperial Navy is spending credits hand over fist if they can toss out that sort of gear to pilots (or is the quartermaster only doing that because they don't want a Sith on the Dark Council to think ill of them).

Anyhow, as someone who didn't need to be bribed to play GSF I am quite thrilled to be receiving the level of loot bribery needed to bring in swarms of people who do require loot bribery to play GSF.

Mostly I'd like cosmetic items related to GSF. I like that sort of stuff, and I've gone to greater than normal lengths (I'm normally a CM and GTN tightwad, but I've got all the Republic Strike pets, I got the Corellian Spark mount, etc.) to get those items. I think that some CM, especially CM direct buy, options would be nice, but it would also nice to have some that are rewarded for various goals in GSF play. I don't know that I'd kill for that sort of thing, but I'd definitely take a Strike into a nest of Bombers with just RFLs for it.

Ultimately though, as long as the gearing reward is competitive in some respects with ground PvP and easier Ops, that is to say, enough to keep the GSF queues reasonably well populated, then I'm quite satisfied with the rewards.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

AtlanteanDragon
07.06.2017 , 08:21 PM | #24
new decorations, weapons & armor (of a GSF design), ships and ship cosmetics (paint jobs, ships, colors etc)
these kind of things I would like to see

DarthVandalism
07.06.2017 , 09:03 PM | #25
I love this idea of full sized fighter ships as decorations. Maybe it doesn't have to be expensive though, especially if they lock it behind something similar to a valor wall. Some expense is expected, but it doesn't need to be 5 Dark Projects and 5 million creds or whatever.

siegeshot
07.06.2017 , 09:49 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

This week, we are creating three separate forum threads for GSF discussion. You can head to this thread to get links to each of them.

In this thread, let's focus on itemization. For a long time we have made it a point to keep Galactic Starfighter as a separate progression from the rest of SWTOR. Command XP has helped a great deal by giving GSF players a method of progressing their characters while playing Starfighter, beyond the XP you already receive.

One thing we are considering is adding more ways for GSF players to enhance their "ground game" characters. This would most likely be through a vendor where you could purchase items. What do you think of this idea? What types of things would you want to see on the vendor?

Be as specific as possible! Let us know your thoughts.

-eric
I can't think of much, except it'd be cool to get the GSF companions as actual companions. If I expanded anymore, it'd be getting into dream, GSF-expansion 2.0 territory. Don't want to derail. ;-)
Guild: Cute Pink Banthas / Gravity Kills
Youtube.com/swtorPaladin
Begeren Colony. RP-PVE.
Original beta group: Squadron 367

Verain
07.06.2017 , 10:31 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by siegeshot View Post
I can't think of much, except it'd be cool to get the GSF companions as actual companions. If I expanded anymore, it'd be getting into dream, GSF-expansion 2.0 territory. Don't want to derail. ;-)
This is a really good point. Salana is like always hanging out with my impside pilots, she should really join up.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

fastartist
07.06.2017 , 10:47 PM | #28
I know we are getting quite the army of companions these days, but it might be nice if some of the GSF companions/pilots became real companions for your ground character. Something you had to earn so not everyone would have them
I also think GSF players deserve some sort of "Flair" to show off pilot rank and what-not.
Oh and how about some pilot themed character customizations?

Ramalina
07.06.2017 , 11:19 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
So what if at this Vendor you could spend Requisition on Ship parts that weren't bound to your character. This way you could give them or sell them to other players. This would give you a way to gear your alts as well as give other players an alternate way to purchase upgrades for their ships.

For example say I have my Blackbolt on Imperial side, what if through a vendor I could purchase a "Rocket Pods" component for I don't know 3000 Blackbolt Requisition. I now have this item I can mail it to other players or put it on the GTN. You could also have different Items for say the first Upgrade of Rocket pods which might look like "Rocket Pods - Ignore armor upgrade".

If you really wanted to get crazy maybe for a ton of requisition you could buy an entire mastered ship if you just happened to have that Lying around.
You could be even more generic than that, have "unlock schematics" in set denominations of ship requisition that match the various levels of upgrades (1250, 2500, 5000, 7500 etc). In a sense that's less cool than a specific rocket pods unlock, but it's maybe a bit more practical.

If it cost something like 10 to 25 CC to make the transferrable requisition item that'd be ok. Make a bit more income off of GSF.

Or just make them straight up ship requisition vouchers.

If you made it so that exclusive (and highly desirable) cosmetic items could be purchased with ship requisition vouchers under this sort of system that would be even better.

I know that 20 CC only works out to around $0.20 in real money equivalent, and even then only if bough as a CC purchase, but I'd argue that if you link monetization into a part of GSF that you want people to use a lot the price needs to be low enough so they don't bother thinking about the price at all when making the purchase. "Too cheap to matter," for us as individual players is still potentially workable for BW if you guys can swing enough volume of bulk sales.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Vhaegrant
07.07.2017 , 01:11 AM | #30
I'm sorry to be harsh but GSF is a bit of a turkey. You should be looking at ways to make the gameplay fun and thus get more players in, rather than considering putting the coolest gear on GSF reward vendors thus forcing players into a gamestyle they don't enjoy. Players care about cool looking stuff, just look at how much time and credits players are willing to put into getting the Gamorrean Guard from the Nar Shaddaa Nightife Event, essentially the most tedious and dull event ever created (thankfully I got mine ridiculously quickly but gave up on the mount after 3 hours and 400,000 credits).

I understand the later is the easier option.