Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Night life event not granting jackpots on kingpin machines?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Night life event not granting jackpots on kingpin machines?

aerockyul
06.14.2017 , 08:38 AM | #1
I'll start by saying I have a brand new 27" 4K monitor and a new gaming rig with a high end graphics card (not highest, but it makes SWTOR gorgeous), all highest graphical settings, and 20/20 vision. Yesterday I spun the kingpin machines at least 150 times, using the Feeling Lucky buff for every spin. I was looking at the machine display head on and not at any angle. On a lot of the spins I could see clearly stopping on either side of the jackpot triangle by even the slightest margin.
Here's my problem--I counted definitively seven jackpot results, hitting the triangle dead-on (tallying each one in guild chat). I got nothing but kingpin chips for all seven jackpots. No gold certificates, no mounts, no companions, nothing. Now, through those 150 spins I did receive 11 gold certificates that resulted from random areas in the win zones, but never from the jackpot result.
I was only doing the event for a few of the achievements and did not care about not winning anything of note. I did not want a Gamorrean companion and a mount would have looked nice but I never would have used it. This is not a complaint thread because I "didn't win what I wanted." So the reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone else had this issue of hitting the jackpot but not actually winning anything. I did not see anyone in my guild complaining about it or anyone else in gen chat either.
Finally, perhaps the problem is my expectations? I mean, the triangle must be the jackpot based on all the information available to us, right? Should I have been expecting I would hit the "jackpot" over half a dozen times and it would be perfectly expected that hitting the triangle could do nothing more than grant more coins and nothing else?
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Namie Amuro, Misphire Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Quraswren
06.14.2017 , 09:02 AM | #2
I think your problem is assuming the triangle in the middle is a jackpot.

I do not think it is given the random nature of it all and small chance to see an actual jackpot.

Just landing on the triangle doesn't mean all that much as I too have hit it and gotten nothing but a token returned.

Probably boils down to even on that triangle hit, there is a large chance at nothing vs actually winning anything.

"You hit the jackpot!"

Unfortunately for you, there is still a 98% chance of getting nothing but a token returned.
Current subscriber: Refer code: http://www.swtor.com/r/t4QfLH
What you get: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

CloudCastle
06.14.2017 , 09:44 AM | #3
I noticed this too and it's true for the smuggler's machines as well. I think the display doesn't really match up with an actual jackpot win. I think anything within the green zone counts as "not a loss," and then the wins from there are simply random. I suspect they never bothered coding an actual jackpot visual.

WelbyWars
06.14.2017 , 09:47 AM | #4
I've gotten Certs from being directly on the triangle tip,..to barely edging the edge of the green.

I think the above is correct. It's all a matter of on the green or not gets a 'first round' win. Then..it goes into another rng mode to determine what you won, which includes the Jackpot.

It's like combat,... roll to see if you Hit,...then roll again to see if it crits. Doesn't matter where you hit as long as it hit.

themachinemann
06.14.2017 , 09:49 AM | #5
lining the triangle up does not even slightly matter. also you pay way too much attention, just click the buttons enough times and you'll win

fushnchips
06.14.2017 , 10:45 AM | #6

Mithros
06.14.2017 , 10:52 AM | #7
Jackpots are definitely happening.
Free stuff (for you and me)! My referral link.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

dr_mike
06.14.2017 , 11:07 AM | #8
Got 3 jackpots yesterday.
Who knows what lurks in the minds of those crazy Sith....
1% gets donated to unemployed Jawas living on Hoth

Andryah
06.14.2017 , 11:34 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
I'll start by saying I have a brand new 27" 4K monitor and a new gaming rig with a high end graphics card (not highest, but it makes SWTOR gorgeous), all highest graphical settings, and 20/20 vision. Yesterday I spun the kingpin machines at least 150 times, using the Feeling Lucky buff for every spin. I was looking at the machine display head on and not at any angle. On a lot of the spins I could see clearly stopping on either side of the jackpot triangle by even the slightest margin.
Here's my problem--I counted definitively seven jackpot results, hitting the triangle dead-on (tallying each one in guild chat). I got nothing but kingpin chips for all seven jackpots. No gold certificates, no mounts, no companions, nothing. Now, through those 150 spins I did receive 11 gold certificates that resulted from random areas in the win zones, but never from the jackpot result.
I was only doing the event for a few of the achievements and did not care about not winning anything of note. I did not want a Gamorrean companion and a mount would have looked nice but I never would have used it. This is not a complaint thread because I "didn't win what I wanted." So the reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone else had this issue of hitting the jackpot but not actually winning anything. I did not see anyone in my guild complaining about it or anyone else in gen chat either.
Finally, perhaps the problem is my expectations? I mean, the triangle must be the jackpot based on all the information available to us, right? Should I have been expecting I would hit the "jackpot" over half a dozen times and it would be perfectly expected that hitting the triangle could do nothing more than grant more coins and nothing else?
Dude... when you do hit a jackpot.. you get an immediate graphic coin fountain and fireworks above you. You cannot rely on any graphics on the machine as these are largely cosmetic, other then the red or green light result at the end.

And sorry to break it to you.. but Kingpins ARE indeed paying out jackpots. I've had it payout a good number of certificates, three mounts and the Gamorean since the patch. ALWAYS play the Kingpins ONLY when you have the Feeling Lucky Buff.
Current use of smartphones and computers have already become such a part of who we are to which he sees them as an extension of everyday life that makes us “cyborgs. Further, AI is a serious potential risk to the future of humanity.
- Elon Musk

Kernel_Cinders
06.14.2017 , 11:49 AM | #10
Jackpots will happen when they happen.

Last night I got 8 Kingpin Jackpots with the mount. #9 I got the Gamorrean Companion. Bummer it isn't in collections . . .

I mainly wanted the achievements and the first year they did the event I got 7 mounts in a row and then a Rancor, so the odds seem to be roughly the same. At least you can buy the Rancor now for 30 Gold Certificates.

KC