Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Did Bioware *really* just force crafters into the CXP grind?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Did Bioware *really* just force crafters into the CXP grind?

stoopicus
06.13.2017 , 05:56 PM | #1
EDIT: It turns out the mats are not BOP/BOL and so can be sold on the GTN, so this is not as bad as it first seemed. Original post follows.

Wow. So the new mats cost command tokens to buy.

On one hand, it's nice to have something to do with the tokens.

On the other hand, at six tokens per mat (with 5-10+ mats required per piece of gear), this is going to add up fast.

I think I see why you did this. It motivates people to play alts now (as command tokens will come faster on lower command rank characters.) And it also motivates people to buy the 0-299 boost, which is otherwise pretty useless since it requires you to have someone at 300 to buy it anyway.

Previously, once you acquired a schematic with your main, you could make things and sell them or use them completely outside of Galactic Command, on your crafting alts. Not so much, now.

Having more drains for the tokens is good, sure. Still, ouch.

PetFish
06.13.2017 , 06:07 PM | #2
Oh come on. Nobody is being forced to do anything.

You get CXP just by playing. You can turn it into a grind all you want. You can turn anything into a grind. If the hardcore crafters want to be hardcore then they'll do whatever it is they need to do and if it isn't through CXP then it will be running around clicking nodes for 6 hours a day.

Just like the hardcore raiders will grind the same operations over and over.

Why people want to "finish" the game in one day every time there's an update I'll never understand. What's there to do then? Just chill and play and if it take you 6-9 months to get most of your Legacy to 300 or whatever the cap is then so what? At least you have something to shoot for but if you just grind mindlessly for a few days just to get to 300 then what do you do? Come to the forums and rage that there's nothing to do.
Here's my referral link if you want your 7 days and free transfer:
www.swtor.com/r/SYTfDw
Remove Datacrons from Legacy and give them a meaningful % boost that scales with level.
RIP SW:ToR Subscription ... December 2012 - July 2018

Mireleni
06.13.2017 , 06:18 PM | #3
Well for a long time, end game crafting required mats only available in ops. You can get CXP from ops, but also from a ton of other things. So this is far more versatile. And unless the mats are bind on pickup, there's always the GTN.

Besides, the worst part of the CXP grind is the RNG aspect, where you can have a bad week and open, say, 50 boxes without any gear upgrades. But because these mats are linked to the Command Tokens, which are guaranteed in each box, at least earning them will be consistent.
Visit my Resort on Tatooine! (Part 1/Part 2). Second location now on Nar Shaddaa.
Check out my Jedi Strongholds on Yavin 4 and Coruscant.
...And consider using my referral link for free goodies, if you like.

Norag
06.13.2017 , 06:27 PM | #4
I'm shocked that you're surprised. The whole point of the CXP grind was to force everyone into it. Be glad you got an exemption for as long as you did.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.

stoopicus
06.13.2017 , 07:08 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mireleni View Post
Besides, the worst part of the CXP grind is the RNG aspect, where you can have a bad week and open, say, 50 boxes without any gear upgrades. But because these mats are linked to the Command Tokens, which are guaranteed in each box, at least earning them will be consistent.
This is true - and a token drain isn't necessarily a bad thing. And it will motivate alt play.

Still, I think a lot of people were looking forward to the craftable 246 as a way to free themselves from the GC grind, and this is kind of a kick right to the feels there.

stoopicus
06.14.2017 , 09:02 AM | #6
So at 6 command tokens per mat, and 5 mats needed per mod and enhancement, that comes to what, two galactic command crates per mod?

That seems... steep.

Andryah
06.14.2017 , 10:01 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by stoopicus View Post

On the other hand, at six tokens per mat (with 5-10+ mats required per piece of gear), this is going to add up fast.
You do know that you can simply purchase the mats from other players on the GTN.. right?

As per usual for SWTOR.. there will be a primary currency (which is effort based to accumulate) sourcing to get the mats.... but then players can resell (and do) because crafters will pay, and players with surplus Command Tokens have a way to convert them into credits (which most veterans have large piles of, and crafters certainly do) if they like.
Current use of smartphones and computers have already become such a part of who we are to which he sees them as an extension of everyday life that makes us “cyborgs. Further, AI is a serious potential risk to the future of humanity.
- Elon Musk

Andryah
06.14.2017 , 10:08 AM | #8
Still, I think a lot of people were looking forward to the craftable 246 as a way to free themselves from the GC grind, and this is kind of a kick right to the feels there.
AND.. that actually works. There are in fact crafters already peddling 246s on the GTNs. So... players with more credits then they know what to do with and not a crafter.... has a smooth path. Crafters have a smooth path as well. And guilds.. working together... have it made with this new approach to crafting 246s. Our guild is already working the new crafting to fill in any gaps members have in their gear set. As a guild, we skipped the GC grind from day one. As we continue to play and the studio continues to improve GC.... we of course accumulate a lot of what we want/need as a guild for high end gearing..... but crafting from day one in 5.0 offered a non-grind approach to any group of players that organized and worked together (guild or just a circle of friends).

It only sucks if you are trying to go it alone.... but frankly.. crafting top end gear has never been a good "go it alone" approach.
Current use of smartphones and computers have already become such a part of who we are to which he sees them as an extension of everyday life that makes us “cyborgs. Further, AI is a serious potential risk to the future of humanity.
- Elon Musk

fushnchips
06.14.2017 , 11:10 AM | #9

I think I see why you did this. It motivates people to play alts now (as command tokens will come faster on lower command rank characters.) And it also motivates people to buy the 0-299 boost, which is otherwise pretty useless since it requires you to have someone at 300 to buy it anyway.

Previously, once you acquired a schematic with your main, you could make things and sell them or use them completely outside of Galactic Command, on your crafting alts. Not so much, now.

Having more drains for the tokens is good, sure. Still, ouch.
You have it all wrong they could have put that mat into Master Mode content only imagine the outcry it's a great way to get rid of the silly tokens that I have no use for to be able to get some return. But bioware are not forcing anyone to do anything it's a select few that are crafting T4 items that have already done the hard yards and would have a ton of the tokens so it's nothing and makes no dent in the crafting process.

Lionflash
06.14.2017 , 11:14 AM | #10
into the grind? god i'm getting tired of this rhetoric. I wish you played more of the game than push your disingenuous **** posting.