Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

It has already started... melee? well screw you.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
It has already started... melee? well screw you.

Traejun
12.27.2011 , 04:58 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Munx View Post
I've likely played just as many if not many more then you pal, getting a group as melee has never been a issue in previous mmo's ive played.

I raided in Everquest FYI, tagged along with guilds such as Forsaken realm.. honestly your pety suggestions that my raiding experience is limited to wow is nothing less then idiotic.

Come talk to me again about real hardcore raiding when you've tried eq, ********.
LMAO. Why are you getting mad? I neither know nor care what raiding experience you've had. I can only speak to my own - predominantly WoW and EQ1. In both of those games, there were numerous raid encounters that GREATLY favored ranged DPS - to the point that raid leaders would leave out almost all melee while those fights were still progression.

If you have the experience you say you do, you should know that.

Kandorr
12.27.2011 , 05:11 PM | #12
It goes both ways though. In BC WoW I played as a dps warrior and while some fights were melee friendly, others were range friendly. On the less melee friendly fights you just had to watch the cast bar and move when applicable, if it could'nt be interupted.

In WOTLK I played a caster dps and there were fights that were caster unfriendly. Having to constantly move as a caster dps does not do well for your dps, but you have to do what is required cos a dead dps is a zero dps.

As for the OP, I'd be looking for a new guild. I wouldn't care if the fight was melee unfriendly - to be replaced by someone out of guild is an insult and certainly not guild-like.

Traejun
12.27.2011 , 05:15 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Kandorr View Post
It goes both ways though. In BC WoW I played as a dps warrior and while some fights were melee friendly, others were range friendly. On the less melee friendly fights you just had to watch the cast bar and move when applicable, if it could'nt be interupted.

In WOTLK I played a caster dps and there were fights that were caster unfriendly. Having to constantly move as a caster dps does not do well for your dps, but you have to do what is required cos a dead dps is a zero dps.

As for the OP, I'd be looking for a new guild. I wouldn't care if the fight was melee unfriendly - to be replaced by someone out of guild is an insult and certainly not guild-like.
+1 for a well thought out, reasonable post.

But, for the record, there were far more melee-unfriendly fights than otherwise in WoW from BC on.

Baaddare
12.27.2011 , 05:21 PM | #14

very well said
Now Minsc is in charge SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!

DarthNethus
12.27.2011 , 05:26 PM | #15

What this gentleman/gentlewoman said.
Guildies first...Always.

Ran Pally/Lock/Warr to 2200+ from Season 1 through Season 4. Let me tell you, it was a PAINFUL 3's comp to run in those seasons...But the pally and the warrior were my guildies and friends.
Could I have paired up with a druid and a rogue and ez-mode'd my way to 2500?
Yup.
Did I?
Nope.

As to the issue of melee vs. ranged...I wouldn't worry, OP. There are always going to be certain encounters that favor ranged and some that favor melee.
As Kandorr said above, any fight that requires a lot of moving around will generally favor melee. The thing about ranged (casters) is that in order to do damage they need to...well...Cast.
Casting generally requires standing still.

It'll all come out in the wash.
And if I were you, I'd be a little miffed with my guildies
"So I threw the Senate at him...The whole Senate! HAHAHA! True story!"
"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon???"
Nethus - Sith Warrior - Juggernaut - Blackjack and H**kers - The Bastion - PVP - US - K:87%,A:47%,E:47%,S:20%

Traejun
12.27.2011 , 05:29 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthNethus View Post
any fight that requires a lot of moving around will generally favor melee
Whaaaa? Moving = bad for melee.

Probably just a mistake.

DarthNethus
12.27.2011 , 05:33 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Traejun View Post
Whaaaa? Moving = bad for melee.

Probably just a mistake.
Moving away from your target (out of melee range) is bad, of course LOL!

But I'm talking about "GET OUT OF THE FIRE" kind of moving.
WoW end-game is and has been since pre-BC choc full of what I call "situational motion" fights.
Melee can generally shift from side to side (strafe in and out) or stay out of trouble areas (directional AOE's and hot spots on the floor, etc) while still maintaining melee range and continuing DPS.

Ranged on the other hand, has to move and thus, stop casting in those same situations.

That is what I meant
"So I threw the Senate at him...The whole Senate! HAHAHA! True story!"
"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon???"
Nethus - Sith Warrior - Juggernaut - Blackjack and H**kers - The Bastion - PVP - US - K:87%,A:47%,E:47%,S:20%

Fellfromgrace
12.27.2011 , 05:38 PM | #18
Melee is always harder in mmo's. Anyone who says otherwise is a ranged user 100% of the time period.

Melee has to move more thus resulting in lowered dps. Anytime the mob moves melee has to move. Anytime something is on the ground melee has to move. Half the time you're in the middle of channeling a huge dps burst and OH crap the mob moved.

Melee IS harder and the posted that said so was correct.

With Star Wars this is specially true due to the no auto attack. Now you're moving constantly but also clicking 1 or whatever you bind it to non stop.
The Shadow Cartel Peace is a lie
The Zealot Legacy

Munx
12.27.2011 , 07:57 PM | #19
My problem isnt that its just punishing toward melee, and I've yet to find these battles that favour melee, which is infact a point i made earlier in the post, though not as eloquently as kandorr, Yes mmo's usually have melee unfriendly fights, but to counter that there are also usually ranged unfriendly fights, I for one have not seen a boss that punishes you for staying at range.

And I am fine with working more as a melee, but on a encounter such as Boarding party hardmode, there are no easy way or hard way for me as a melee to do my job, theres just a sit there and watch while the boss gets enraged way.

Watched plenty of youtube vids regarding this encounter in the aftermath, and people did not seem to have nearly the problems we had with keeping massey still, on the other hand though, most those vids were from beta.

In any case my point is, Making it difficult to play as a melee is fine, but basicly making it so a melee is a ball in a chain that the group has to pull along is a design flaw.

PS: Traejun, not mad at all, not my fault the forums decide to filter the silliest little things
Dark Knight of the forums.

FobManX
12.27.2011 , 11:09 PM | #20
General raid mechanics are more difficult on melee, yes. That doesn't mean they're impossible with them. The problem, at least in WoW, was that ranged and melee were balanced around doing the same DPS. This made ranged a lot more preferable as they could maintain max DPS while avoiding mechanics more easily. Bioware should make it so melee do more damage in stand still fights, so this gets balanced out when they have to run around.

I also don't know how many ranged classes have interupts, but one advantage melee used to have over ranged(again talking WoW)was they could interupt. Now if both melee and ranged can interupt in BW as well(not sure as I don't know much about other classes other than JK)then it'll be another advantage for ranged.

Again if you're melee though, don't sweat it. 99% of people aren't going to be high end super optimal min maxers and you'll be just fine playing melee. I'd rather have a good melee player than a bad ranged one anyday.