What utilities and gear/augments do I take for a skank tank Jugg?

Talon_strikes

I created a char token with a Jugg and plan on using it as a fake tank, so I have a couple of questions for those that do play it in PvP and solo ranked:

1. What are the must-have utilities? Are there some that come down to preferences?
  2. Do I take DPS Jugg gear for the DPS set bonus, or do I take the tank gear for tank set bonus but replace mods/enhancs with DPS over time?
  3. Do I take the DPS off-hand or tank off-hand?
  4. Do I stack Power augments?
  5. What is the general "rotation" of Jugg tank? Like what abilities must I keep using on CD?

Thank you!

Edited by Talon_strikes

I created a char token with a Jugg and plan on using it as a fake tank, so I have a couple of questions for those that do play it in PvP and solo ranked:

1. What are the must-have utilities? Are there some that come down to preferences?
  2. Do I take DPS Jugg gear for the DPS set bonus, or do I take the tank gear for tank set bonus but replace mods/enhancs with DPS over time?
  5. What is the general "rotation" of Jugg tank? Like what abilities must I keep using on CD?

Thank you!

Do you know how to tank?

Edited by LeglessChair

Thank you!

There's a few topics in the Jugg forum. If I have time I will write something up at some point, but the basics:

1. I've been robotically selecting these for so long that I realized I have forgotten many of their names. Many come down to preference, Jugg has a lot of good ones. Above all else you want Pooled Hatred and Piercing Chill. Almost all of the ones with "Through" in the name are good. War Bringer is great for burst. Overwhelm (the Ravage root) and Unstoppable (the push/pull/impair immunity after leap) are must haves IMO. I always take the Mad Dash one as well. And you absolutely want to be able to use Enraged Defense while stunned.

2. The latter, you want the War Leader set bonus with DPS mods and enhancements. And those should almost entirely be Adept Enhancements and unlettered Lethal Mods. You want to stack crit, mastery and power. Your other stats will be high enough.

3. Shield. The DPS difference is minimal and you gain significant mitigation even with no +shield/absorb gear.

4. Crit to 1700 or so and then mastery or power, is what I do. If you add any Accuracy, you're wrong, your base acc is 110%.

5. You have significant burst DPS. I do these in groups of three based on CDs:

* Aegis Assault->Crushing Blow->Retaliation (this order matters)

* Force Scream->Vicious Throw->Ravage (this order doesn't really, I like to save ravage for its CC if someone starts to run)

* Fill with Saber Throw, Smash, the two basic attacks, etc. I usually save Smash to interrupt caps unless there are several enemy.

USE CHILLING SCREAM EVERY 8 SECONDS even if no one is around, for the movement boost and stealth detection.

USE YOUR AoE TAUNT ON CD.

Your most important gearing priority: GET ABOVE BOLSTER. I don't care if you are only in 240, it's worth it. The reason being, Bolster is stance based in 5.0. For tank stances, it bolsters Endurance more than Mastery. The result of this is that skank tanks have a stealth nerf of about 10% of their DPS while being bolstered. You will see a 10-12% DPS boost just going from 238 to 240.

The most important skills you have to master are your control skills. You have two hard stuns and an AE Mez. Force Push is also key to master, as it refreshes leap. Leap->Push->Leap is an *amazing* way to move around, while CCing someone for the duration and turning the fight with them into a 1v1 where they are immobilized and you have three stuns left.

And don't forget Guard and Intercede. Intercede is *awesome*.

Edited by stoopicus

I take payback/overwhelm (or warmonger here if you pick up the others it has synergy with) sonic wall/unshackling rage (i never go without unshackling rage, especially now) through passion/through power (though you don't really NEED through passion, I like it. if you want to go harass you can pick up whiplash) thrown guantlet/intimidating presence. (intimdating presence has more synergy with warmonger, if you're going for damage you can take piercing chill, if you're getting rooted/slowed too much you can take through victory)

I take payback/overwhelm (or warmonger here if you pick up the others it has synergy with) sonic wall/unshackling rage (i never go without unshackling rage, especially now) through passion/through power (though you don't really NEED through passion, I like it. if you want to go harass you can pick up whiplash) thrown guantlet/intimidating presence. (intimdating presence has more synergy with warmonger, if you're going for damage you can take piercing chill, if you're getting rooted/slowed too much you can take through victory)

Never take Sonic Wall, it provides little protection and overwrites other classes' more powerful shielding buffs. Otherwise your advice is solid :)

I went and looked. My typical utilities:

Overwhelm

War Monger

Pooled Hatred (mandatory)

Unstoppable

War Bringer

Through Passion (or Unshackling Rage, which is actually a better choice)

Through Victory (or Thrown Gauntlet, depending on mood)

Piercing Chill (mandatory)

Consuming Rage and Through Power are also very good.

Edited by stoopicus

I don't remember the utility names, but lately I've been running all of the speed boosts/root breaks to deal with sniper AOE. You lose the Saber Throw root, which is a definite sacrifice, and some other great utilities, but it has made a big difference in survivability and objective play for me. As far as gear, I follow the same setup as Stoopicus and Alec for mods and enhancements. Lately I've been experimenting with mastery augs + a bit of alacrity. I'm not sure it really makes a difference at this point, but it's something to play around with.

My advice, inspect the gear of the juggs that are topping the leader boards. Most Vengeance juggs will hav high crit and alacrity with a little accuracy. No blue mods or enhancements. Abilities - survivability.... enraged defense cooldown and breakers, Chilling scream and intercede dmg bonus. I would suggest around 1500 crit, 1000 alacrity and 400-500 accuracy, the rest power. Once you start getting gear drops as a skank tank you will get plenty of pieces to play around with those stats and Tweek it. In war zones partner up with a decent OP, jugg or marauder for interced bonus and protection, and use your stuns to peel for heals. Edited by Glocko

My advice, inspect the gear of the juggs that are topping the leader boards. Most will hav high crit and alacrity with a little accuracy. No blue mods or enhancements. Abilities - survivability.... enraged defense cooldown and breakers, Chilling scream and intercede dmg bonus. I would suggest around 1500 crit, 1000 alacrity and 400-500 accuracy, the rest power. Once you start getting gear drops as a skank tank you will get plenty of pieces to play around with those stats and Tweek it. In war zones partner up with a decent OP, jugg or marauder for interced bonus and protection, and use your stuns to peel for heals.

No one takes accuracy on a skank Jugg by choice. Immortal *starts* at 110% accuracy. If they are wearing any accuracy gear it is most likely because that's what came in the RNG crate and they have not replaced it yet.

Otherwise yep, finding a Jugg you like and checking out their gear is solid advice.

Edited by stoopicus

No one takes accuracy on a skank Jugg by choice. Immortal *starts* at 110% accuracy. If they are wearing any accuracy gear it is most likely because that's what came in the RNG crate and they have not replaced it yet.

I am assuming that he is talking vengeance here using dps gear.

Edited by Glocko

Well I bow to yout mastery of knowledge on juggernaut.... I will guess you have never played vengeance... ever...

The build for a Immortal tank utilizing tank gear to be a skank tank is an abomination.

I have played all 3 builds quite extensively - Immortal in tank gear modified to do high dps, Immortal in DPS gear and I have played Vengeance. In my opinion Vengeance is a lot more fun.. The easiest to play would be Immortal in tank bonus set modified to do high dps but you would still be capped on DPS. Intercede + DPS bonus is to much to pass up.

But when they give Immortal Impale + bonus in 5.3 I will go back to the tank set....

Edited by Glocko

Well snotty I bow to yout mastery of knowledge on juggernaut specs....

Yeah sorry that came across way snarkier than I meant, edited a bit - it was meant in good humor, apologies.

Actually I have played tons of Veng as well, I just never do these days as it is just too squishy for my skills. I really admire people that can pull off Veng these days.

Edited by stoopicus

best way to learn is start from lvl 1. its always the token people that have no clue how to play their class at 70.

Eh I'm a faster learner, and since 12xp is gone I have no desire to level up for the umpteenth time. I don't like to level without the double, triple, etc boosts--it's too slow. I only level via PvP btw, and that is the slowest way to level in this game.

Do you know how to tank?

I can Intercede on CD, taunt on CD, use Guard and Guard swap, so I think I got the most basics of basics down. :)

There's a few topics in the Jugg forum. If I have time I will write something up at some point, but the basics:

1. I've been robotically selecting these for so long that I realized I have forgotten many of their names. Many come down to preference, Jugg has a lot of good ones. Above all else you want Pooled Hatred and Piercing Chill. Almost all of the ones with "Through" in the name are good. War Bringer is great for burst. Overwhelm (the Ravage root) and Unstoppable (the push/pull/impair immunity after leap) are must haves IMO. I always take the Mad Dash one as well. And you absolutely want to be able to use Enraged Defense while stunned.

2. The latter, you want the War Leader set bonus with DPS mods and enhancements. And those should almost entirely be Adept Enhancements and unlettered Lethal Mods. You want to stack crit, mastery and power. Your other stats will be high enough.

3. Shield. The DPS difference is minimal and you gain significant mitigation even with no +shield/absorb gear.

4. Crit to 1700 or so and then mastery or power, is what I do. If you add any Accuracy, you're wrong, your base acc is 110%.

5. You have significant burst DPS. I do these in groups of three based on CDs:

* Aegis Assault->Crushing Blow->Retaliation (this order matters)

* Force Scream->Vicious Throw->Ravage (this order doesn't really, I like to save ravage for its CC if someone starts to run)

* Fill with Saber Throw, Smash, the two basic attacks, etc. I usually save Smash to interrupt caps unless there are several enemy.

USE CHILLING SCREAM EVERY 8 SECONDS even if no one is around, for the movement boost and stealth detection.

USE YOUR AoE TAUNT ON CD.

Your most important gearing priority: GET ABOVE BOLSTER. I don't care if you are only in 240, it's worth it. The reason being, Bolster is stance based in 5.0. For tank stances, it bolsters Endurance more than Mastery. The result of this is that skank tanks have a stealth nerf of about 10% of their DPS while being bolstered. You will see a 10-12% DPS boost just going from 238 to 240.

The most important skills you have to master are your control skills. You have two hard stuns and an AE Mez. Force Push is also key to master, as it refreshes leap. Leap->Push->Leap is an *amazing* way to move around, while CCing someone for the duration and turning the fight with them into a 1v1 where they are immobilized and you have three stuns left.

And don't forget Guard and Intercede. Intercede is *awesome*.

Thanks for the boatload of info! It's greatly appreciated! From what I can understand I take it the Mad Dash utility is not a must-have for this class/spec then? I honestly don't take it for my Marauder as I find it a waste of a utility point IMO. I just find other utilities "better".

And if I'm correct, I can get to 1700 Crit simply with enhancements, mods and the left side of gearing alone right? Which means I can just buy Power augments and augment all my gear in Power?

Thanks again! I'll pop back in again if and when I have more questions, but I think you covered everything!

Edited by Talon_strikes

My pleasure!

So, I always take the Mad Dash utility (Through Victory) myself. But there's a really solid argument for taking Thrown Gauntlet instead.

Yeah if you max out left side with crit gear you can hit 1700 or so. I aug entirely mastery/power myself. Some people like to throw in Alacrity which never hurts either. Going a little higher on crit is also fine, it's just that the diminishing returns start to kick in somewhere after 1500-1600 so I usually stop at 1700 or so myself.

Edited by stoopicus

I run 1300 alac on my skank tank, I really like it. Works well with Chilling Scream utility since the DoT ticks for more damage.

I'm also the odd weirdo that runs with a Crit relic and I do fantastic dmg (for the most part) usually beating out even vengeance specced jugs in WZ. Chilling scream is good damage and great for number fluffing in WZ's. I would take all the movement utilities you can, anything that increases movement speed or grants any type of immunity to movement impaired effects are the absolute musts - everything else is just w/e you find works for you. I've ran with tons of different utility setups and they all have there pluses and minuses. It just really depends on what you value more, I personally like to be more of a nuisance in a WZ then being just about raw power, so I've sacrificed things like 'pooled hatred' or 'war bringer' for 'unstoppable' or 'through power'. Personally I think 'thrown gauntlet' is the best bang for the point, reduces cooldown on 3 of our abilities and adds extra dmg reduction to an interceded target - and its useful for pvp and pve.

Yeah Thrown Gauntlet is awesome and I love taking it from time to time.

You kind of nailed why playing Immortal in WZs is fun, too. It's all about control. You've just got so many ways to slap people around with various types of CC and roots.