Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

swtor producer mentions GSF changes coming in 5.2.2!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
swtor producer mentions GSF changes coming in 5.2.2!

Lendul's Avatar


Lendul
05.10.2017 , 04:20 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Neflarion View Post
Yeah, its being met with derisive comments, because other then in the increase req and reduced costs, they're not making it better in any way. All they're doing is saying, "Have some free ships new characters." That's not what GSF needs. GSF needs new ship classes, new maps, and new battle modes. That's what GSF needs.
If you are a veteran that wants these things then you should be happy that they are doing things to help new players. New players are the means to your end. The devs have candidly said that more people will have to play GSF before it will get the level of development you want.

Pietrastor's Avatar


Pietrastor
05.10.2017 , 08:14 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
That depends on your point of view, doesn't it? If you are strictly talking about veterans, who only play the game for GSF, then sure, GSF needs all those things.

But if you are talking about new player retention, I think these are improvements for which people have asked. There is at least one thread a week about the gear gap, or some variation on that theme.

I agree with you that GSF could use the infiltrators (re?)introduced, a new map, a new game mode, but it also needs some improvements to be new player friendly. These changes are for the latter, because they are low hanging fruit. When, for example, there are at least as many simultaneous twitch streams about GSF as there are about ground pvp, then they might decide to invest some time into the deeper changes you mention.

Take for example JoeNeverFails. He's got over a hundred people watching his stream at any given time and hundreds of followers. In the summer when the expansion to FFXIV comes out he will be playing that in place of or in addition to SWTOR. But right now he streams SWTOR 8-12 hours a day. This is how advertising and marketing and promotion takes place these days. If he shows a stream where he is piloting and enjoying himself, other people may try it to. We already know more people are playing it because the CXP and UC yield is great. They didn't come to try it out because there is a new map, or a new ship class, they came out to try it because the right carrot was dangled in front of their faces. Bioware can keep them if they don't feel completely useless every time they enter a match.

I used to be like you. I used to think double requisition weeks/weekends never did anything for GSF playerbase size. I thought the tie-in to the ground game with conquest would help the playerbase. Maybe it did somewhat. I used to reply to threads stating what GSF needed was more rewards: stronghold decorations, armor appearances, titles, etc. I thought last summer's DvL event before 5.0 launched would get more participation. Again, like conquest, a modest effect.

Then I saw what happened when the right incentive was presented along with a prolonged double xp/double CXP/double req event. Its our version of a magical happening really, a renaissance for GSF.
Someone frame this post and hang it on Wall of Crazy at Austin so they see it everyday and implement more changes that encourage new/casual players to try and keep engaging in GSF. Legacy/faction hangars next, PVE starfighter missions after (especially as part of the core storyline of new expansions), and only then new pvp GSF maps/modes.

Neflarion's Avatar


Neflarion
05.10.2017 , 10:20 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lendul View Post
If you are a veteran that wants these things then you should be happy that they are doing things to help new players. New players are the means to your end. The devs have candidly said that more people will have to play GSF before it will get the level of development you want.
That is a double edge sword right there. If they don't develop it more, no matter how many carrots they dangle, eventually the donkey is going the other way. I am sure most people now with the cxp, do their 1-2 matches a day, wipe their hands, and say that was slightly better then doing nothing, as they go back to a more populated aspect of the game.

Dangling a carrot, even a nice carrot after 3 years is not going to attract people to it. If they really want people to play GSF, they need to get out of this loop of

Devs: "We'll develop GSF more if more people played it."
Players: "We'd play it, if you developed it more."

BW needs to bite the bullet and develop GSF more or say they're never gonna touch it again. Making it easier to gear up ships is nice, but in the long run, for players who actually care about gsf, gearing up a ship wasn't that hard in the 1st place.

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
05.10.2017 , 11:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
Someone frame this post and hang it on Wall of Crazy at Austin so they see it everyday and implement more changes that encourage new/casual players to try and keep engaging in GSF. Legacy/faction hangars next, PVE starfighter missions after (especially as part of the core storyline of new expansions), and only then new pvp GSF maps/modes.
Well, you know, its funny right, because I never in a million years would have predicted the behemoth that is Galactic Command, let alone that a ground end game gearing system would increase participation in GSF. So, I won't go so far as to suggest a pve-version of GSF ought to take priority over a new GSF game mode, but I won't discount the possibility it could be even more successful than galactic command in revitalizing GSF.

And, I'll make this prediction: expect some more Cartel Market related starfighter things before the New Year. There's no way they will pass up an opportunity to monetize more of the game. Such as, but not limited to, new skins for T3 ships, new color modules, engine reactants, blaster gas canisters, and paint jobs. I especially predict the Zakuulan interceptor will be a re-skin of the T3 scout and the Koth/Theron shuttle will be a reskin of the T3 gunship.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Storm-Cutter's Avatar


Storm-Cutter
05.11.2017 , 12:34 AM | #25
Extra ships will help initial req gains if new players get as far as the dailies and weeklies.
Someone posted a 25K req token the other day. - which is enough to buy a few basic upgrades, but doesn't give more than you can do in a few matches with the daily and weekly payouts, so it's really only a small boost.
If they can't revamp the ships, then maybe reword some of the tooltips might be a start. ( "don't buy this, it's rubbish" )

However a flood of newcomers might just end up cannon fodder for us vets, or simply encourage a lot more GS and Bomber spam.

But overall, it's at least something. If we get just 20 or 30 new players on each server it'd be a start, and the eye of Sauron turns this way for a brief second, so that's good too.

Shame the golden age of GSF has long passed us by. But still a small hope for a renaissance. - Yay!
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Pietrastor's Avatar


Pietrastor
05.12.2017 , 09:09 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
Well, you know, its funny right, because I never in a million years would have predicted the behemoth that is Galactic Command, let alone that a ground end game gearing system would increase participation in GSF. So, I won't go so far as to suggest a pve-version of GSF ought to take priority over a new GSF game mode, but I won't discount the possibility it could be even more successful than galactic command in revitalizing GSF.
I think it would easily have much higher impact on GSF activity. This IS a primarly PVE game, with heavy emphasis on solo as well. PVP is a small addition to it and many would never step a foot into a WZ without extensive PVE training, getting to know the character movement quirks, abilities etc.

BobaWest's Avatar


BobaWest
05.15.2017 , 11:12 AM | #27
I think a PVE mode for GSF that has Story mode for solo, Veteran mode for group, and Master mode for a group of mastered ships would be the best thing for GSF. I really want to see capital ship engagements where starfighters defend and attack, this would work for a new PVP mode too, but I think a PVE mode gives players a place to learn and build up their hangers. I think this will lead to a better PVP experience and more even matches. Either way I'm happy that they're giving GSF some more attention.

kaherdyn's Avatar


kaherdyn
05.27.2017 , 04:02 AM | #28
I would really like that they invest some time in developing gsf. Since it was one of things that brought me back to the game after few years of break. But i am also worried about how this changes will affect that mode.

To be honest and i know it's pipedream i would love to have pve content in gsf. Something like flashpoint when 4 people fight with pve enemies (a mix of gsf and space combat missions) . But like i said, it's a pipe dream.
Use my link to get goodies. You get stuff, i get stuff, everybody wins
http://www.swtor.com/r/Kymfkj

inCelesphere's Avatar


inCelesphere
05.27.2017 , 06:45 AM | #29
It's good to know they are still thinking about it. I am not going to hope for this or that, I never like to do that and it works well because I'm always happy with SWTOR, but I can still hope they might add some more customisation options, or at least be thinking about it for the future. The colour modules, reactors, etc., are limited and it would be nice if new ones would drop in new packs. Or, you know... something...

Either way, exciting!
The Buscemi Legacy || Darth Malgus

Magira's Avatar


Magira
05.28.2017 , 03:21 PM | #30
It would be better to give them all of the ships, plus full upgrades. Gear and talent differences have no place in PVP.
The Red Eclipse: Ynaxi, Thamari, Shakrj , Lorilee, Maedu
Guild: The Wookiees Legacy:Shockwaverider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shockwave_Rider