Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it possible to play Sage as DPS primary

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Is it possible to play Sage as DPS primary

Annare
12.27.2011 , 03:08 PM | #1
It seems like I get invited to a group and they automatically assume that because I went sage I intend to heal. I came from that other game and played a paladin, before that I played a lot of other MMO's and all of them I played a paladin. In EQ1 specifically I appreciated the ability of the paladin to offheal if needed and DPS ok.

Is that possible with the Sage? I have looked at builds and I was looking at 8/0/31 build for my final to DPS with.

Cias
12.27.2011 , 03:13 PM | #2
balance seems like more of a pvp build for sages, telekinects is our pve build i believe. Sages do great dps, early on you can heal as a dps spec sage so that is probably why people are expecting you to heal.

Currently i am level 42 and have no problems finding groups as a dps sage.

Khadroth
12.27.2011 , 03:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Annare View Post
It seems like I get invited to a group and they automatically assume that because I went sage I intend to heal. I came from that other game and played a paladin, before that I played a lot of other MMO's and all of them I played a paladin. In EQ1 specifically I appreciated the ability of the paladin to offheal if needed and DPS ok.

Is that possible with the Sage? I have looked at builds and I was looking at 8/0/31 build for my final to DPS with.
Yes it is possible to main a DPS Sage, just make sure to inform people that you're dps spec. Past about lvl 30, you can laugh at anyone expecting you to be able to main heal as dps spec. If they kick you, it's their loss as you're far more valuable to the group than just about any other DPS AC out there.

8/0/31 spec? Dunno post it. Though I'm keen to say you've likely missed something as:
A.) 31 + 8 = 39. You're missing 2 points lol.
B.) No matter your spec as a Sage there's 5 essential points in TK, 3 in Seer, and 2 in Balance. In other words any Sage spec with a Zero in one tree is probably not optimal.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin

Annare
12.27.2011 , 04:01 PM | #4
Seems like I was looking at the balance tree wrong, I thought that would be the DPS tree. I wasn't sure where to put the last two points. After looking at the tele tree I see it looks more like. I will have to figure out where to go and reset the skill points and get out of the balance tree.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...7f2e4f2e4fdf17

that is what I am looking at now.

Khadroth
12.27.2011 , 04:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Annare View Post
Seems like I was looking at the balance tree wrong, I thought that would be the DPS tree. I wasn't sure where to put the last two points. After looking at the tele tree I see it looks more like. I will have to figure out where to go and reset the skill points and get out of the balance tree.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/...7f2e4f2e4fdf17

that is what I am looking at now.
They're both DPS actually. Balance will just be more PvP-oriented with it's focus on mobility/dots. That said it's still fine for lvling.

Hmm, if you're going full on PvE dps spec I'd recommend dropping kinetic collapse for disturb mind, and dropping upheaval for critical kinesis and the last point of penetrating light. Project is decent while leveling, but really only for it's stun on standard/weak mobs, otherwise it's easily the most inefficient ability we have as TK spec and doesn't proc anything.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin