Did anyone else notice that they increased the unlock cost?

IstariZen

Check your collections. This is really too much.

I spend a lot of money on this game, but enough is enough.

Hoverchair was 400 a few days ago. All gold items were, now they are 600.

Edited by IstariZen

I noticed the increase the other day when viewing Rascal's toothpick which is now 600cc to unlock.

On another note, the Zakuul Dropship which is recently on sale for 340c only costs 60cc to unlock. (At one time the Walkhar Trickster was only 60cc to unlock not sure if that is still the case as I unlocked already)

Like everyone else I will be waiting till next half off collections sale before doing multiple unlock sprees.

Edited by jimmorrisson

Bronze = 60 CC

Silver = 240 CC

Gold = 400 CC

In collections some free items may cost 1 CC, some platinum items are 240 CC, people say platinum costs same as gold, but I did not get enough platinum items to test personally. For Unstable Peacemaker Dual-Saber (platinum item) I paid 240 CC in collections which makes me believe that platinum items are 240 CC and not 400 CC.

Edited by BoySaber

That's interesting:

Enforcer's Eyeguard (GOLD) shows an unlock cost of 400, but Mask of Nihilus (Also GOLD) shows an unlock cost of 600.

(Malak's Shadow Armor set (Silver) shows 240, the Covert Energy Armor set (GOLD) shows 90 (the boots and gloves, also GOLD, are each 60), Life Day Robes are 480. I don't have any locked Bronze armors in collections, but my Bronze weapons were all 60, and the silver ones were all 240 (or, in the case of the Artful Trickster's Blaster, marked as on sale from the normal cost of Silver unlocks)

Crystals - the bronze and silver I have locked show the normal cost of unlock (60/240), but the White-Grey crystal shows 400 for the eviscerating and the white shows 600 for the indestructible (both GOLD)

I don't have any locked items showing platinum rarity to check.

Looks like there's some goofiness on unlock costs at Gold rarity. I don't recall what the unlock prices were for any of these prior to today, other than clearly too rich for my blood at the time.

Incorrect. 400 cartel coins was the cost to unlock gold items for an account.

Actually, the unlock cost for gold CM items used to be 600 early on, then at one point they smoothed out some inconsistencies in unlock costs, and in the process appeared to lower most golds to 400, silvers to 240, and bronze to 60. For a time, they appeared to be pretty consistent in terms of unlock price vs rarity code...but never perfect.

Point ---> they can and do tinker with unlock costs over time, and always have.

Personally, I try to avoid unlocking until unlocks go on sale (which they do once or twice a year, when they sneak in a 50% off sale for a short time). I unlock something if I need to, but more often I do a batch of unlocks during sales, because I collect sets, store them, and if a sale comes along I do a wave of equip/unlocks from my cargo holds.

I guess... considering how long some bugs remain in game.. the original downgrade from 600 to 400 for unlocks may have been some error and they are just now getting around to fixing it. :p Seriously though.... it could be this.

Lesson to be learned... the studio has NEVER been completely logical and consistent in terms of unlock prices. For example... a 4 piece armor set would cost the same to unlock as a 7 piece set of the same rarity, or sometimes we see a 1 piece item costing as much to unlock as a 7 piece set of the same rarity. Of course.. there is rarity varitions within rarity too.. as all golds are not the same rarity (drop % chance in the loot tables), nor silver, nor bronze.

Edited by Andryah

This should be addressed by the team, not just ninja'd in. Failing to do so just acknowledges that they know it's shady and wrong, like all the other conveniently forgotten things in patch notes that are always a nerf or some sort of negative thing that they hoped no one would notice, but then have to address because we did notice. Edited by Saregon

4.x, along with "fixing/neutering" unlocks of items from rep vendors, was supposed to have "normalized" everything to the 60/240/400 for unlock costs. There were always outliers, though (the datacrons for the little Shroud mini-story that were obtainable from Cartel PAcks were set to 400 despite being nominally bronze; that annoyed me rather a lot). I'm reasonably, but not completely, sure the Mask of Nihilus was 400 CC unlock prior to today, though.

I think they are bugged. It sounds like at least some items have reverted back to their pre-standardized prices. At one point too they reworked which items were gold/silver/bronze and of course their unlocks changed then too. So again, it sounds like some items are now listing at what their pre-change unlocks were. At least I hope it's a bug. I've been saving up unlocks for the next sale and I would be too pissed to spend a dime if they jacked the prices up.

I think they are bugged. It sounds like at least some items have reverted back to their pre-standardized prices. At one point too they reworked which items were gold/silver/bronze and of course their unlocks changed then too. So again, it sounds like some items are now listing at what their pre-change unlocks were. At least I hope it's a bug. I've been saving up unlocks for the next sale and I would be too pissed to spend a dime if they jacked the prices up.

Totally possible that somehow somebody in the studio borked the cost tables somehow when compiling the final patch. It's happened before with other things.. where suddenly after a patch we see something that was altered or changed previously.... "reappear". Lets see if we get a gold response here before the thread runs off the deep edge with conspiracy theories.

To end confusion.. the studio (hey Keith!!) should at least communicate both changes and basis/philosophy on unlock costs whenever they mess with them.. intended or not. Otherwise.. we have threads like this where we get a pile-on about all manner of claims against the studio as gouging, etc.

Edited by Andryah

I'm pretty sure 600 was always the normal cost to unlock gold items.

Nope. It's always been 400. I guess since no one's buying the packs anymore since they can't put more than one decent item in them they have to create a reason for people to buy more coins.

Give us good stuff and we'll start buying hypercrates again you idiots. Then you won't have to do stupid stuff like raising unlock costs to gimmick your customers. Idiots.

Nope. It's always been 400. I guess since no one's buying the packs anymore since they can't put more than one decent item in them they have to create a reason for people to buy more coins.

Give us good stuff and we'll start buying hypercrates again you idiots. Then you won't have to do stupid stuff like raising unlock costs to gimmick your customers. Idiots.

They have been steadily and secretly increasing unlock cost. They have never announced any of those changes but lots of items that were cheaper have crept up over time. What they are doing is using their data metrics to show which items are popular unlock items with players, and then they raise the prices on those items. It also allows them to pretend to have a discount unlock sale, that in reality isn't a discount at all.

Edited by Darkside

There were plenty of gold items with unlock prices of 600cc in the first couple years, before they went in and did a re-tune of what bronze/silver/gold mean and added platinum. It was at that time that they appeared to be trying to homogenize unlocks to be a consistent 60/240/400. But there have always been exceptions, both before and after the reworking and retuning they did a while back, including some that clearly look like errors (ie: way above or below prevailing costs for similar item rarity).

Edited by Andryah

I would really like an official response on this as well. If this is a bug(Sound very possible), I think it would be good to do a PSA on forums/reddit to let people know to proceed at own risk with knowledge of the issue.

If it is not a bug, a confirmation should happen.