Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Trailer)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Trailer)

DraconisXX
04.17.2017 , 07:43 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Maybe originally it was about the jedi, but now Disney has decided to grow beyond that, and that's a good thing IMHO.
I think what we see from Disney are characters that aren't really chained to one side or the other when it comes to the force. For example Maz in Force awakens and Chirrut from Rogue One and Maz even says after Rey's force dream "i am no jedi but I know the force". Also some characters in Rebels are also a balance of both sides. So this is a big pretty hint that they are going for a grey order and that Rey and Luke are the last Jedi given the fact that Luke would never train Rey to become a jedi if his intention is to end the Jedi

phalczen
04.17.2017 , 09:50 PM | #22
I was actually at the panel. Daisy Ridley makes a few comments, which taken together with the teaser, and what was said in TFA, suggest why the "Jedi" must end. Granted, we know so little right now, I think at this point, just about any theory is plausible in some way or another. My theory is that Luke tried the old Jedi ways with his initial crop of students that included Ben Solo. When Ben turned away and became Kylo Ren, leader of the Knights of Ren, that's when Luke went searching for the first Jedi temple. We know this already from Han's dialogue when he meets Rey and Finn. Later, when Han is on the resistance base talking with Leia about seeing their son, he mentions how there was too much Vader in Ben. Leia replies that's why I wanted him to go with Luke.

Recall that it was the Jedi Order's ban on attachments, and their constant pushing back against Anakin's attachments, that helped to push Anakin away from the Jedi and right into Palpatine's hands. Also recall that it was Luke's attachment to his father, and Anakin for his son, that ended up redeeming Anakin. I think that Luke tried to help Ben by trying to rid Ben of his attachments, but that only pushed Ben right into the hands of Snoke. There was something missing from Ben's life, something that only his attachments to his family could fill, but Prequel Old Republic Jedi teachings didn't offer him any solace, just as they failed to do so for Anakin. So, my guess is that Luke went searching for Jedi history to try and find out where they went wrong... why he had failed to protect his student in the same way that Obi Wan and Yoda had failed to protect their students.

Again, from the teaser trailer, there is a light and a dark and a balance, but so much more. The Bendu from season 3 of Rebels makes this clear, "I follow the will of the Force." Qui Gon tried to get Yoda to understand this in season 6 of Clone Wars. And, Satele, Marr, and Valkorion try to get the player character to understand this as well in Chapter 12 of KOTFE.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

BorkTheDork
04.18.2017 , 05:48 AM | #23
I think they purposely cut out something after Luke said "it's time for the Jedi to end". For example it could be "It's time for the Jedi to end -- Snoke" or something.

Aeneas_Falco
04.18.2017 , 04:11 PM | #24
"It's time for the Jedi to end."

I hope that isn't about turning the Jedi, or whomever replaces them, into morally gray antiheroes. Please, no.

phalczen
04.18.2017 , 08:33 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post
"It's time for the Jedi to end."

I hope that isn't about turning the Jedi, or whomever replaces them, into morally gray antiheroes. Please, no.
I think it depends on whether you believe that to be morally right you have to be attachment-less. If you recall from the Matrix trilogy, the "One" or the "Anomaly" is the variable that balances the machines' equation of human behavior and choices. The Anomaly/One felt a sense of duty/responsibility/love for his fellow humans such that they were willing to sacrifice themselves that Zion would be saved and the cycle would repeat. In Neo's case, his sense of love was particularly strong towards one individual. He still saved Zion, and the machines for that matter, and brought peace to earth, not by blindly sacrificing himself for the good of all as the equation would have needed, but instead going back in to save his lover, and creating a new destiny. I think the same is going to be true for the Jedi and whatever comes after them.

Vader and Sidious are often saying to Luke, "You don't know the power of the Dark Side." Luke asks Yoda point blank if it's stronger to which Yoda replies that it is quicker easier and more seductive. But is Yoda really telling the truth? It is clear that the Dark side is something to be feared, as much as it is to be faced. Yoda confronted his Dark Side in season 6 of TCW and rejected it, but that doesn't mean that passion cannot lead to more power. Yoda, and the Jedi Order, their rejection of the sith code doesn't necessarily invalidate it. Perhaps the secret that Luke found out in his search of Jedi history revealed that the prehistoric force sensitives did something bad, something terrible, and their self-imposed penance was to reject attachments and passions/emotions.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Lium
04.19.2017 , 12:52 PM | #26
Sounds like Luke is going the Satele/Marr/Valkorion route. Transcend both the light and the dark to become something new entirely. The old ways of the Jedi and Sith are no more.

hozjr
04.22.2017 , 03:44 PM | #27
Without day there cannot be night, without darkness there cannot be light, and without light there are no shadows, all must exist symbiotically and as one. There is no death, there is the force, and the force shall set me free.

hozjr
04.22.2017 , 03:51 PM | #28
Here is a theory, Ach-To (the planet Luke is on) could just be an island in the middle of a Tython ocean.

TalonVII
04.22.2017 , 07:39 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by hozjr View Post
Here is a theory, Ach-To (the planet Luke is on) could just be an island in the middle of a Tython ocean.
Except the planet that Rei goes to is in the mid to outer rim, not in the deep core like Tython is supposed to be.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

OldVengeance
04.26.2017 , 05:45 PM | #30
So people talked a lot about Bioware and Swtor trying to push "Grayness" on the player characters by suggesting you need to go beyond light and dark. And people complained that this was contrary to how it was supposed to work in Star Wars.

And now it looks like the movies are going to officially canonize that Grayness is actually better than Light or Dark and the Jedi and Sith have been wrong this whole time.

So I guess if the movies make that retcon, then there will be no escaping it. I don't think I'm going to be enjoying Star Wars for much longer.