Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Death Match.....

jeardawg
03.11.2017 , 08:05 PM | #1
I love GSF, and would like to play a lot more. The death matches are brutal, with a veteran team turning the match into a farm fest when they roll in to Gunship down an an opposing team, often made up of players with a fresh new stable of ships. Is there any way that the matchmaker could even it out, or better yet, BW could invest in a few more diverse matchup locales, so we might not get what seems like an entire day of nothing but DM?

ok rant off. sorry had to vent.
Wanna go from free to play to preferred?
Been a subscriber, want some subscription time again? not used a referral in 90 days? please consider using mine!
http://www.swtor.com/r/ngZt4K

Ornithopoda
03.11.2017 , 08:26 PM | #2
The problem, unfortunately, has less to do with the matchmaker and more to do with the size of the players base. When enough people are playing, the matchmaker actually does a pretty decent job of matching up players of equal experience. However, when not enough people are on to have multiple matches going at once, the game just throws everyone in together. It really all depends on what server you're on, and what time of day you're playing.

The best thing you can do is get ask for advice from other players, and see if anyone will group up with you. The GSF vets are pretty willing to help newer pilots learn the ropes, including how to effectively deal with gunships. You should definitely check out Despon's GSF School youtube channel as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWT...J_9OeqCvKfWMbQ
Laynč - Guardian Láyne - Sorcerer
Layne Michael - Scoundrel
Satele Shan

OscarDivine
03.11.2017 , 08:27 PM | #3
What server are you on?
Oscar Obviously
Star Forget - Satele Shan - Darth Malgus

jeardawg
03.11.2017 , 10:16 PM | #4
Harbinger..
Wanna go from free to play to preferred?
Been a subscriber, want some subscription time again? not used a referral in 90 days? please consider using mine!
http://www.swtor.com/r/ngZt4K

Rafiknoll
03.12.2017 , 02:10 AM | #5
As there is no true solution for a "GS fortress" (4-6 GS and 1-2 Bombers camping somewhere, nearly invincible, especially if the match is only 8 people and not 12, which isn't uncommon), except for another GS fortress to oppose them, I think there must be a permanent solution to the problem:

Cap the number of GS in the field to a maximum of 3 per team (other players can see a "red" or "grayed out" gunship button if capacity is reached, and what of players who have only GS in their active roster? Well, simple solution, make it impossible! Roster will require at least one non-GS ship (the guys who run statistics and numbers can decide if such an act is required for bombers, personally, I think there should be, but 3 is not too OP and can't think of a match in which I actually I saw more).

I can already imagine how many anti-posts will come about this (and at least a half would be the so called veterans who score big only, and only, in GS fortresses), but I only stated my opinion. These matches are not too common to make someone (reasonable) quit GSF forever, but not too uncommon to make this someone give up on queueing for 2-3h (unless he doesn't care about losing badly, for daily or cxp sake, for example, which is understandable), so the community, and I speak of the side usually suffering from those (in TRE, only the reps use this tactic, far as I can tell), should decide if this problem is worth changing the rules or not, and the devs, in their phase, will get to see the community's opinion and do the exact opposite

Ramalina
03.12.2017 , 08:32 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafiknoll View Post
As there is no true solution for a "GS fortress" (4-6 GS and 1-2 Bombers camping somewhere, nearly invincible, especially if the match is only 8 people and not 12, which isn't uncommon), except for another GS fortress to oppose them, I think there must be a permanent solution to the problem:
There certainly is a solution. 1-2 gunships with Ion Railgun who know what they're doing and 2-3 battlescout pilots who know what they're doing. Which means that about 1/2 to 1/3 of the team needs to know what they're doing.

The hard part is getting more than 2 pilots who know what they're doing onto a team during your average match.

The Ion Railgun AOE upgrade destroys the fortress of mines and drones, and also makes the gunships and bombers more vulnerable to damage from the battlescouts.

Once the fortress is breached the scouts go in and slaughter things. You just need enough scouts so that between the scouts and gunships the enemy gunships can't concentrate all their fire on one target.

Gunships and bombers have mechanics that allow inexperienced pilots who aren't using teamwork to be very effective against inexperienced pilots in scouts and strikes who aren't using teamwork.

The teamwork isn't that hard, it doesn't require premades or communication. If you're on a gunship, you Ion AOE the bomber fortress too pop the mines, and knock down the shields on the gunships. If you're on a scout and see that a gunship just ionned down the minefield, you go in for the kill.

Doing those things without getting killed though is not so easy. That's where the experience is required to make it work.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Bolo_Yeung
03.12.2017 , 08:56 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
There certainly is a solution. 1-2 gunships with Ion Railgun who know what they're doing and 2-3 battlescout pilots who know what they're doing. Which means that about 1/2 to 1/3 of the team needs to know what they're doing.
To get bombers, friendly GS have to go into firing range . Since bombers are behind GS (or hiding in asteroids), that means friendly GS are targets for enemy GS.
It is doable - but the level of coordination needed is far greater than needed to build good 'fortress'. AND - if the 'fortress' players have the same levels of coordination, they are able to counter this with ease.
Thus, theoretically doable, practically impossible, assuming equal level of skill.

The only counter is to adopt the same tactic - maybe with some T3 scouts giving repairs / tensors/evasion boosts etc.

Lowfrequenzy
03.12.2017 , 09:04 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
Doesn't need to be a battlescout. I eat through this kind of fortresses in my Novadive quite nicely (using Distortion Field, Running Interference, Targeting Telemetry with Evasion upgrade and Power Death to weave through enemy lines). But you need support from Ionrailguns and you definitly don't want to be the only scout. And you need to be willing to die a few times (I don't mind because getting ammo for the pods can be difficult, as I see too many T2-Bombers running their Repair Drone without ammo refill).

It also helps to target the GS in the back. Usually this leads to some heavy fire when the enemy Gunships all turn around to get you, but this allows your team to get into better position. And if they don't turn around even better. Just shoot them one by one.

But I still think that the tactic of this fortress is boring and not good use of time. Especially if it ends with two teams doing the same thing. It takes forever and is as far away from fun as trenches can be.
Motetta across the galaxies
Vanjervalis Chain - T3-M4 - Progenitor - TRE - Ebon Hawk

Lowfrequenzy
03.12.2017 , 09:06 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bolo_Yeung View Post
To get bombers, friendly GS have to go into firing range . Since bombers are behind GS (or hiding in asteroids), that means friendly GS are targets for enemy GS.
It is doable - but the level of coordination needed is far greater than needed to build good 'fortress'. AND - if the 'fortress' players have the same levels of coordination, they are able to counter this with ease.
Thus, theoretically doable, practically impossible, assuming equal level of skill.

The only counter is to adopt the same tactic - maybe with some T3 scouts giving repairs / tensors/evasion boosts etc.
Especially in Lost Shipyards the bombers are so often in front of the GS that they are not even a threat to the scouts...
Motetta across the galaxies
Vanjervalis Chain - T3-M4 - Progenitor - TRE - Ebon Hawk

Bolo_Yeung
03.12.2017 , 09:33 AM | #10
If so, then pilots aren't really experienced.