SWTOR Nvidia Graphic Tweaks

Kernel_Cinders

COMPUTER SPECS

O/S: Windows 7 64-Bit

Motherboard: ASUS P877-V (Yep, I need to upgrade).

Processor: Pentium i5 3.4Ghz (Yep, I need to upgrade).

Memory: 16GB

Video Card: ZOTAC G-Force GTX 1070 8GB

***EVGA have been having issues with the 1070 series and I didn't want to risk it, so I went with ZOTAC. It's a solid card and I have had zero problems. While I was testing 4xAA and 4xSGSSAA its temperature never went past 60C.***

NVIDIA DRIVER VERSION: 378.49

NVIDIA INSPECTOR VERSION: 1.9.7.8

SWTOR In-Game Graphic Settings

Vertical Sync: Off

Full Screen Gamma: 100

Bloom: Off

Conversation Depth of Field: Off

Anti-Aliasing: Off

Shadow Quality: Off

Tree Quality: 75

Grass Quality: 0

After changing the above settings, exit SWTOR completely, then edit the client_settings.cfg file.

SWTOR client_settings.cfg

[Renderer]

AllowColorRemapping = false (This is personal taste. I prefer the old colors. Set to true for newer colors).

AntiAliasingLevel = 0 (Use this setting if you use Nvidia Inspector to set AA).

DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

doBlobShadows = false (Set to true if you want shadows).

doShadows = false (Set to true if you want shadows).

DYDDrawDistancePreset = 3

DynamicLightsLimit = 2 (You can set this to 2, 4, 8, 16. Test to see what you like).

EnableBloom = false (I hate bloom in SWTOR. Set to true if you like it).

enableadvenvirolighting = true

FarClipScale = 3.9371195

GammaRamp = 1.03

GraphicsQuality = 6 (This is the maximum setting).

MeshLODQuality = 1 (You can set this to 2, but I wouldn't recommend due to performance hit).

PlantDensity = 0 (This setting turns off grass completely. Set to 100 for maximum).

ShadowMapResolution = 2048 (I wouldn't recommend setting this past 2048 due to major performance hit).

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25 (This is the maximum for this setting).

TextureAnisotropy = 1 (This completely turns off in-game Anisotropic Filtering. In-game AF is horribly bad).

TextureQuality = 0 (This is the maximum I use. Some posts state that -1 works but I have never tested it).

VerticalSyncState = false (I force VSYNC to be on in NVIDIA Inspector).

When done, right-click the file, click "Properties", set to "Read Only", then hit "Apply". This will prevent the game from changing any custom values you have made when you start the game.

NVIDIA Inspector SWTOR Settings

Compatibility

Antialiasing compatibility: 0x000012C1

Sync and Refresh

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1 (Setting this to 1 will either help or make it worse. Test yourself).

Preferred Refrestrate: Highest Available

Vertical Sync: On

Antialiasing

Antialiasing - Behavior Flags: None

Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting

Antialiasing - Setting: 4x [4x Multisampling]

Antialiasing - Transparency Multisampling: Disabled

Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

Texture Filtering

Anisotropic filtering mode: User-defined / Off

Anisotropic filtering setting: 16x

Texture filtering - LOD Bias (DX): +0.0000

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Allow

Texture filtering - Quality: High Quality

Common

Ambient Occlusion usage: Disabled

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance

Threaded Optimization: On

These settings are based on my own computer and observations. Test yourself to see what works and what doesn't.

KC

Edited by Kernel_Cinders
Oops! Meant 60C not 60F . . . lol // Didn't test 8xAA / 8xSGSSAA

• 4 months later...
I know this thread is kind of old, but I have been having some stuttering issues with my video in the game. I have an older machine with an nvidia 970M. I just wanted to let people know that these settings worked for my Asus ROG.

Actually - I had screen go BLACK and refresh and it was very annoying.

My fix: Downloaded EVGA Precision XOC (Overclocking software)

Decreased the GPU by about 100 MHz and problem stopped.

This can sometimes be an issue with the OC cards from graphics vendors, especially if you don't have enough ventilation in your case.

When I say ventilation I don't just mean a heap of fans. It's important to understand the airflow and thermal dynamic as well as negative and positive pressure.

But underclocking can work just as well, especially if it's a top end card because swtor will never utilise that sort of power.

I know this thread is kind of old, but I have been having some stuttering issues with my video in the game. I have an older machine with an nvidia 970M. I just wanted to let people know that these settings worked for my Asus ROG.

Personally, I'm entertained by his claim that the GPU temperature never went beyond 60°F, mostly because that's 8°F *below* normal room temperature (20°C, 68°F). Perhaps he meant 60°C, 140°F.

Personally, I'm entertained by his claim that the GPU temperature never went beyond 60°F, mostly because that's 8°F *below* normal room temperature (20°C, 68°F). Perhaps he meant 60°C, 140°F.

It's most likely 60c...

My bad . . . I meant 60C not 60F, but wouldn't it be great if it was 60F? That would be 15.5556C . . . :D

I am glad to hear my post has helped other players to make the game look a bit better. There are so many different things that can be tweaked using the .cfg file and NVidia Inspector, along with other programs, that it can be very confusing. The information is still mostly viable as no major changes have occurred since February 2017 so I won't be editing anything and will leave the information posted as-is (except the 60F!). :D

Since the original post, I've had a new computer built and it's much better then the old one. Running Windows 10 64-bit on Intel 7th Gen i7 4.0Ghz, 1TB PCIE SSD, 32gb 3000Mhz memory, 11GB Asus Strix 1080ti vid card. Also my new monitor has GSync, which is pretty damn sweet. I highly recommend GSync monitors to anyone who plays newer games as well as SWTOR, but be sure your video card supports GSync.

Using the settings I was using before, my video card temp goes up to 72-74C, but if I change the Transparency Supersampling setting from 4xSGSSAA to 4xSSAA, my video card temp only goes up to 60-63C. The minimal improvement using SGSSAA, along with significant heat increase, isn't worth it to me, so I stopped using 4xSGSSAA and now use 4xSSAA instead.

I'm not really sure why SGSSAA isn't as effective with my new computer compared to the old one, but I am suspecting that it could be a combination of the O/S, video card, and/or GSync Monitor that makes SWTOR look better by default. I just play games . . . Speaking of games, GAME ON PEOPLE ! ! !

KC

Edited by Kernel_Cinders
Clarification on temperature references

My bad . . . I meant 60C not 60F, but wouldn't it be great if it was 60F? That would be 15.5556C . . . :D

I am glad to hear my post has helped other players to make the game look a bit better. There are so many different things that can be tweaked using the .cfg file and NVidia Inspector, along with other programs, that it can be very confusing. The information is still mostly viable as no major changes have occurred since February 2017 so I won't be editing anything and will leave the information posted as-is (except the 60F!). :D

Since the original post, I've had a new computer built and it's much better then the old one. Running Windows 10 64-bit on Intel 7th Gen i7 4.0Ghz, 1TB PCIE SSD, 32gb 3000Mhz memory, 11GB Asus Strix 1080ti vid card. Also my new monitor has GSync, which is pretty damn sweet. I highly recommend GSync monitors to anyone who plays newer games as well as SWTOR, but be sure your video card supports GSync.

Using the settings I was using before, my card hits around 72-74C, but if I change the Transparency Supersampling setting from 4xSGSSAA to 4xSSAA, the temp stays down around 60-63C. The minimal improvement using SGSSAA, along with significant heat increase, isn't worth it to me, so I stopped using 4xSGSSAA and now use 4xSSAA instead.

I'm not really sure why SGSSAA isn't as effective with my new computer compared to the old one, but I am suspecting that it could be a combination of the O/S, video card, and/or GSync Monitor that makes SWTOR look better by default. I just play games . . . Speaking of games, GAME ON PEOPLE ! ! !

KC

60c is a bit hot and over time can fry expensive parts. The type of Thermal paste used makes a difference too. Also the more heat the more power the pc draws, harder on PS and GPU. What CPU cooler do you have? Liquid or stock or Air?

I read the the CPU'S can take hotter but for me I try to keep them as cool as possible for lifespan.

I have a similar setup to you except K chip that overclocks and differ GPUs. This game depends more on the clock speed of The CPU for fast frame rates so for temperature issues on the CPU consider this.. I don't like case noise and this one's very quiet and self contained.

http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/482

https://www.gamingfactors.com/best-thermal-paste-2017/

Your case has to have the space but they have other coolers low profile.

Edited by IntegrationArch

The computer case is a Cooler Master SILENCIO 652S. It came with three DC 120mm fans, but I replaced all three with PWM 120MM silent fans. I also put a DC 180mm on the top, a DC 180mm on the bottom, and a DC 200mm on the side that blows directly onto the video card. Six fans total: 3 in, 3 out. :) The CPU fan is just a generic PWM. Paste is Arctic Silver MX-4.

I don't OC my CPU, so the temp stays very low. The front of the case has a door that opens to allow air into the two intake fans, but I leave it closed. There is also a cover on top that can be removed, but I leave that on as well. This is by far the most quiet computer I have ever had. When I play SWTOR my video card temperature hits the low 60C's with all of the covers still on. I usually open them up when it gets really humid but that doesn't happen often.

KC

The computer case is a Cooler Master SILENCIO 652S. It came with three DC 120mm fans, but I replaced all three with PWM 120MM silent fans. I also put a DC 180mm on the top, a DC 180mm on the bottom, and a DC 200mm on the side that blows directly onto the video card. Six fans total: 3 in, 3 out. :) The CPU fan is just a generic PWM. Paste is Arctic Silver MX-4.

I don't OC my CPU, so the temp stays very low. The front of the case has a door that opens to allow air into the two intake fans, but I leave it closed. There is also a cover on top that can be removed, but I leave that on as well. This is by far the most quiet computer I have ever had. When I play SWTOR my video card temperature hits the low 60C's with all of the covers still on. I usually open them up when it gets really humid but that doesn't happen often.

KC

Cool rig on fans? how loud is that after upgrades? The next step to get your GPU 20C cooler is a water cooled or Freon cooled case fan with a mini compressor. Or you could reposition the GPU cooler for better air flow inspect anything blocking fan and air movement inside the case.

lol wind tunnel PC dual gpu cooling to 68F

http://www.totalgeekdom.com/?p=915

Edited by IntegrationArch

The two 180mm fans I put on top and bottom wouldn't fit so I had to use zip ties and wrapped them around the vents and back in again. Also did the same with the 200mm fan that's on the side. The case says it can have a 180mm or 200mm fan placed on the side panel, but the screw holes weren't even close for either the 180mm or 200mm. I was pissed for a few minutes but then I looked at the zip ties and decided they would work. I broke about a dozen of them while tying down all three fans, but they're all in place with no vibrations whatsoever.

As for it being quiet? Beyond quiet. I can barely hear the rear fan exhaust. I'll start to hear the rear exhaust and video card fans if I push the video card, but other then that, it's super quiet.

The case is solid and I am glad I spent a little bit more compared to other cases. A bit expensive ($140-160 USD) and a little heavy, but the majority of the case is metal with very little plastic. I was also able to take out the HD and SSD trays, along with the metal support system, so that freed up even more space and made the airflow even better.

I'm not into doing OC on my CPU like others do. Back in the days of Pentium II, OC was the way to go because of the huge performance boost, but CPU's nowadays? Nah. It isn't worth the risk as I have very little experience with water-cooling devices. I don't multitask as this computer is strictly for gaming. I use my old computer for watching Netflix, YouTube, surfing web, etc etc.

KC