Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Downloading SWTOR taking FOREVER. PLEASE READ and possibly HELP!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Downloading SWTOR taking FOREVER. PLEASE READ and possibly HELP!

Kewack
12.27.2011 , 10:00 AM | #1
Hi I got swtor for Christmas and so far I've had a few problems. My first problem was that I couldn't install it from the disc and ended up installing it off the client. My problem at the moment is that the download is taking forever to download I started it two days ago so it has been downloading for 48 hours and it is up to english assests 1. I left it downloading english assets 1 all night and when I woke up it had nearly finished with english assets 1 then I went back to sleep for 2 hours, woke up and it started downloading english assets 1 again.

It has probably downloaded english assets 1 about 3 times, is it meant to? also my KB/s is on average at 150KB/s.

All I want to know is how much more time it is going to take and also I'm getting Unable to patch. Please check network. Is that because i'm on the internet while its downloading?

So does the download really take that long to download and how many more assets is it going to download?

Last question how to I get my KB/s to go up because my internet has good connection and it keeps going up and down.

Thanks kewack
Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures
Name: Boba Whiphitch
Guild: Leader of Shotem Order

Rawrium
12.27.2011 , 10:02 AM | #3
this will hopefully be fixed when servers are back up or soon but

Here's the steps I took to resolve the issue:

1) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
2) Open file (use notepad). You *may* need administrator privs to edit/save the file (will instruct on that below)
3) Add the below line to the end of the file. Don't add the # before it (that blocks out the code)

64.145.87.64 cdn-patch.swtor.com

4) Save.
5) Make sure you deleted the assets_swtor_en_us folders you currently have.
6) Start up launcher and pray to the god of your choice.

After it's done you can modify the host file again and remove that line, it apparently doesn't matter if you do.

Now, if you get upon saving that you need admin privs ( can only instruct on W7 since I don't know if it's different on XP.

1) Right click on hosts, properties.
2) Hit "Security" tab.
3) Click on users (the one with the name of your computer on it if you have multiple users on your computer)
4) Hit edit.
5) Again, select Users (your user)
6) At the bottom check Full Control.
7) Hit apply.

You should be able to save the host file now. If you want to relinquish control once this is over, repeat the above process, unchecking Full Control.

Hopefully this helps others if BW hasn't resolved the issue.

also try pausing and unpausing when it drops really low

Ohidosee
12.27.2011 , 10:10 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Rawrium View Post
this will hopefully be fixed when servers are back up or soon but

Here's the steps I took to resolve the issue:

1) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
2) Open file (use notepad). You *may* need administrator privs to edit/save the file (will instruct on that below)
3) Add the below line to the end of the file. Don't add the # before it (that blocks out the code)

64.145.87.64 cdn-patch.swtor.com

4) Save.
5) Make sure you deleted the assets_swtor_en_us folders you currently have.
6) Start up launcher and pray to the god of your choice.

After it's done you can modify the host file again and remove that line, it apparently doesn't matter if you do.

Now, if you get upon saving that you need admin privs ( can only instruct on W7 since I don't know if it's different on XP.

1) Right click on hosts, properties.
2) Hit "Security" tab.
3) Click on users (the one with the name of your computer on it if you have multiple users on your computer)
4) Hit edit.
5) Again, select Users (your user)
6) At the bottom check Full Control.
7) Hit apply.

You should be able to save the host file now. If you want to relinquish control once this is over, repeat the above process, unchecking Full Control.

Hopefully this helps others if BW hasn't resolved the issue.

also try pausing and unpausing when it drops really low
Hey I posted that