Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The only fun PVP without gear issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The only fun PVP without gear issues

yellow_
01.30.2017 , 12:36 PM | #11
I dislike the current gearing system, and I've advocated some numbers suggesting the difference between 232 and 242 isn't as small as some people would have you believe, but I just can't get behind the hyperbole that it's ruining PVP or is at the top of the list making it unbalanced.

The amount of advantage you can gain by just being better than other players or playing better classes/specs than them is so large that the only circumstances where gear is likely to tip the scales one way or another is when two almost identically equally skilled groups of players playing equally good classes are up against one another.

Also, lets address another myth here. Gear in lowbies is not even remotely balanced. Players rocking old PVP gear are often going to have far more of the all important crit rating stat, in addition to a set bonus. And they are also less likely to be missing abilities that are essential to proper performance for a class and/or spec. The 65-69 midbies with set bonuses absolutely DOMINATE the midbie bracket. To suggest the difference at 70 between bolstered players and 242 geared players (of which there are relatively few) is larger is just not correct.

Personally I'm mostly just annoyed that I feel like I am perpetually trapped in the gearing phase of the game.

eriksarcasm
01.30.2017 , 01:06 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
When I start lvling up some of my lowbies again, I'll muck around with it and see what happens.
This is why we need you and people like you. Someone's gotta figure this nonsense out.
It's what i do... I drink, and I know things.

TrixxieTriss
01.30.2017 , 11:16 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by eriksarcasm View Post
This is why we need you and people like you. Someone's gotta figure this nonsense out.
I've unsubbed over this rubbish Bioware have dumped on us and it runs out on the 5th Feb. I'll see what I can do before then.
I'm still considering resuming and just playing around in mids till they fix this disaster of an expansion. But I'll atleast stay unsubbed for a few weeks so it adds to what ever data they "should" be collecting on people Unsubbing. I think it's the only form of protest left to me. It's obvious they don't pay attention to us on the forums or even PMs you send to them.

DarthRaika
01.31.2017 , 12:01 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by yellow_ View Post
I dislike the current gearing system, and I've advocated some numbers suggesting the difference between 232 and 242 isn't as small as some people would have you believe, but I just can't get behind the hyperbole that it's ruining PVP or is at the top of the list making it unbalanced.

The amount of advantage you can gain by just being better than other players or playing better classes/specs than them is so large that the only circumstances where gear is likely to tip the scales one way or another is when two almost identically equally skilled groups of players playing equally good classes are up against one another.

Also, lets address another myth here. Gear in lowbies is not even remotely balanced. Players rocking old PVP gear are often going to have far more of the all important crit rating stat, in addition to a set bonus. And they are also less likely to be missing abilities that are essential to proper performance for a class and/or spec. The 65-69 midbies with set bonuses absolutely DOMINATE the midbie bracket. To suggest the difference at 70 between bolstered players and 242 geared players (of which there are relatively few) is larger is just not correct.

Personally I'm mostly just annoyed that I feel like I am perpetually trapped in the gearing phase of the game.
I agree that while the gap is large it doesn't hurt regs too much. However, it really is an issue in solo ranked. There are people that were stuck around 1400 after hundreds of matches played and weren't a threat in 5.0 that are now rating up fast and are a threat. These weren't "bad" players (gear can't help them) but they weren't very good either.

Also, gear really affects the bursts classes. Maras that were mediocre are now good, good are very good, and great are just destroying people.

Lundorff
01.31.2017 , 01:10 AM | #15
Problem is that most experienced PVPer no longer play low -/midbies, and the general quality is even worse than before. On the flip side, that also mean less premades, so it's a toss up I guess. And it's both sides that a severely lacking in.... everything.

Stuff like this: http://i.imgur.com/09zraAz.jpg

Qwurdilu
01.31.2017 , 02:57 AM | #16
Glad to see you get some fun in pvp again. Maybe youll take docs post to heart and give lvl 70 pvp another chance someday, because hes right

TrixxieTriss
01.31.2017 , 04:58 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
Problem is that most experienced PVPer no longer play low -/midbies, and the general quality is even worse than before. On the flip side, that also mean less premades, so it's a toss up I guess. And it's both sides that a severely lacking in.... everything.

Stuff like this: http://i.imgur.com/09zraAz.jpg
The quality isn't that great at lvl 70 either. The quality is lacking in the whole of pvp these days, but atleast there seems to be newer people coming through

Lundorff
01.31.2017 , 07:10 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
The quality isn't that great at lvl 70 either. The quality is lacking in the whole of pvp these days, but atleast there seems to be newer people coming through
And solo ranked. I had a juggernaut tank yesterday that told me "2-3k health doesn't make a difference" when I slightly berated him for having less HP then me. I was on my operative. He was tunneled like you wouldn't believe. Or perhaps you would. Had a another jugg tank in the very next match with basically similar terrible stats.

Imagine how great it would be, if they separated PVP complete from the game, and made a SWTOR PVP league in a different game. Would be sweet.

TrixxieTriss
01.31.2017 , 08:36 PM | #19
And solo ranked. I had a juggernaut tank yesterday that told me "2-3k health doesn't make a difference" when I slightly berated him for having less HP then me. I was on my operative. He was tunneled like you wouldn't believe. Or perhaps you would. Had a another jugg tank in the very next match with basically similar terrible stats.

Imagine how great it would be, if they separated PVP complete from the game, and made a SWTOR PVP league in a different game. Would be sweet.
A bit like Overwatch

Qwurdilu
02.01.2017 , 12:09 AM | #20
magine how great it would be, if they separated PVP complete from the game, and made a SWTOR PVP league in a different game. Would be sweet.
Sometimes i like to dream about blizzard made swtor. It could easily be the most succesfull game ever