Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Post your tanking spec

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Post your tanking spec

Fende
01.03.2012 , 05:04 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by grandmasterub View Post
for wz's I'd get get instead of finishing the tank line. moar DoTs are just too important.

Also my shadow's tank spec

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...rskZZf0cRr0z.1

**not to max lvl yet so I may choose slow time over FiB when I get there.
Force in Balance is a nice skill for dps, but Slow Time produces too much hate to ignore, and the 5% damage reduction is a nice addition. I wasn't a fan of Harnessed shadows when i first saw it, but after playing around with it for a bit i really like it. It's useless fighting anything lower than elite mobs because you don't have enough time to get the stacks up. But fighting tougher enemies you can usually get it off 1-2 times a fight. That's 12% health per (4 tics X 3% IIRC), plus a ton of single target damage, it creates a good amount of single target threat and takes a little pressure off your healers.

That spec gives you more dps, but that's really not your job. You're job is to be so survivable your healers don't run out of their resource pool while keeping you alive.

Eivon
01.03.2012 , 06:05 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Mausonator View Post
My vanguard uses http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hRGrdoroTzZMsbZb.1

Using this so far for PVP and PVE. Works like a charm.
IMO "static field" is a must. for only 2 points you get -4% damage debuff which is up pretty much all the time thanks to explosive surge.
One interesting thing otherwise with your build was you chosing 8% extra armor over +2% block. I haven't hit 50 yet so perhaps with the armor rating on gear available the 8% armor increase is as good/better. At 41 I am running with 0/2 armor.

My build is: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GorbdRrogzZz.1 Going to drop defensive measures(root on harpoon and stealth scan) though most probably. Guess I put those 2 points in 1/2 armor and up Steely resolve, the aim talent from 2/3 to 3/3.

edit: Energy blast seems like a messed up ability too. The animation just takes to darn long to trigger. Wondering how Gut would perform in its place. Anyone tried it for PvE?

artilleryshell
01.03.2012 , 06:07 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Force in Balance is a nice skill for dps, but Slow Time produces too much hate to ignore, and the 5% damage reduction is a nice addition. I wasn't a fan of Harnessed shadows when i first saw it, but after playing around with it for a bit i really like it. It's useless fighting anything lower than elite mobs because you don't have enough time to get the stacks up. But fighting tougher enemies you can usually get it off 1-2 times a fight. That's 12% health per (4 tics X 3% IIRC), plus a ton of single target damage, it creates a good amount of single target threat and takes a little pressure off your healers.

That spec gives you more dps, but that's really not your job. You're job is to be so survivable your healers don't run out of their resource pool while keeping you alive.
I thought that in beta FiB hybrids proved to be quite effective at group tanking in flashpoints.

I'm certainly part of the "ZOMG SLOW TIIIIMMEEE FTW" crowd, but i don't think i'd go so far as to say FiB hybrids are dps builds.
Yes, its a dress, now shut up, sit down, and watch me tank this boss. - artilleryshell
You know we don't have eyes, so what's behind the veil?
A beard. - Atasama

Roguewiz
01.03.2012 , 11:09 AM | #14
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rI0ckrskbsZZf0cM.1

This is the route I currently plan on going. So far, it is working out well. Granted, I'm only 37 at the moment. Current stats (unbuffed):

Almost 11k HP
37% mitigation
22% defense chance
21% shield chance
26% absorption chance

I've been more or less moding my gear with end/shield/defense enhancements. It has been paying off.
Raquelis - 50 Inquisitor (Darkness Assassin)
Relixandria - 40 Bounty Hunter (Bodyguard Mercenary)
"Not Evil, Just Misguided"
-- The d'Andraste Legacy --

Fende
01.03.2012 , 04:56 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by artilleryshell View Post
I thought that in beta FiB hybrids proved to be quite effective at group tanking in flashpoints.

I'm certainly part of the "ZOMG SLOW TIIIIMMEEE FTW" crowd, but i don't think i'd go so far as to say FiB hybrids are dps builds.
I didn't mean they are dps builds, it just provides more dps at the cost of threat. That threat will give your dps a higher threat ceiling which will increase their potential dps a lot more than you could ever do. If you are going to play with dps that can't hit the ceiling when you have FIB, then go right ahead and take it.