Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

3.3 and why it was patched in (Devs and Musco should read since they forgot)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
3.3 and why it was patched in (Devs and Musco should read since they forgot)

Wayshuba's Avatar


Wayshuba
01.27.2017 , 08:09 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I don't know how much dev control a producer has, but even if this guy is new there's no excuse to basically take advanced dev work that was done on the gearing system for the past 2 years and implement the very same type of gear grind system that was running prior to 3.3 which was phased out 2 years ago.
It of course will vary from company to company, but generally Producer in the video game world is a fancy, hollywood-like title for a Product Manager. As you know, in some companies they wield tremendous decision power (like at Square Enix on FFXIV) where as Ben may be just a meat shield for someone higher up.

I don't know, but in general, product managers usually always have a lot of sway if they know what they are doing, even to higher ups. Because Ben and team do not play or use their own product however, I imagine that have no capacity to intelligently discuss the wants and needs to do the things that would help the product grow (isn't that what companies have product managers for in the first place).
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda

KismetBP - Spear of Destiny

Wayshuba's Avatar


Wayshuba
01.27.2017 , 08:17 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Seems he's the one to blame for this stupid RNG agenda
I don't know. Yes, James was responsible directly for a lot of the problems in the 1.x era when he was producer and creative director on the title. However, he has moved up the chain and while SWTOR is still under him, he has a lot of other responsibilities as well.

I personally believe this is Ben's direct baby. When he wrote that letter about all the exciting things coming, blah, blah, blah, that was him talking. I think he had a vision for what he thought would make this MMO great again (a return to solo story). The timing of the change in focus is too coincidental to not think he was involved.

Now that the subs started to crash, he was probably getting heat from the upper echelon at EA and came out with this desperate method (GC system) of trying to retain subs.

The issue is, he was completely wrong. I mean, after all, it is the first video game he has worked on and the first title he has ever been in charge of. I think, because of intense internal pressure, in all honesty, he is not thinking clearly (or the better way to say this is he doesn't have enough experience to know what to do). So he goes forward with this half-baked system in desperation and, in an effort for him to save face with the company, he is going to destroy a good product in the process.

Won't be the first guy in this industry to take a title down with them in flames.
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda

KismetBP - Spear of Destiny

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
01.27.2017 , 08:23 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Wayshuba View Post
I don't know. Yes, James was responsible directly for a lot of the problems in the 1.x era when he was producer and creative director on the title. However, he has moved up the chain and while SWTOR is still under him, he has a lot of other responsibilities as well.

I personally believe this is Ben's direct baby. When he wrote that letter about all the exciting things coming, blah, blah, blah, that was him talking. I think he had a vision for what he thought would make this MMO great again (a return to solo story). The timing of the change in focus is too coincidental to not think he was involved.

Now that the subs started to crash, he was probably getting heat from the upper echelon at EA and came out with this desperate method (GC system) of trying to retain subs.

The issue is, he was completely wrong. I mean, after all, it is the first video game he has worked on and the first title he has ever been in charge of. I think, because of intense internal pressure, in all honesty, he is not thinking clearly (or the better way to say this is he doesn't have enough experience to know what to do). So he goes forward with this half-baked system in desperation and, in an effort for him to save face with the company, he is going to destroy a good product in the process.

Won't be the first guy in this industry to take a title down with them in flames.
But of course Ben has to tow the party line. He can't say RNG is crap etc. he has to talk it up and promote it. I'm not saying he isn't involved, but if someone higher up has an idea, no matter how stupid it is, and they want it implemented, then it's up to everyone else to do it and then promote it even if they hate it.

Edit
If Ben actually listened to player feed back and what they want and what they hate, then 99% of all issues wouldn't arise or they could be reverted.
These guys will never admit they've made a massive mistake and revert something to the way it was. They would prefer to move forward and make small inconsequential changes that make the game worse than it was.
Other game developers will sometimes man up and grab their balls if there is massive backlash. They know it's better to admit and revert as to not lose players, then to continue down the path of doom.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
01.27.2017 , 08:30 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Wayshuba View Post
It of course will vary from company to company, but generally Producer in the video game world is a fancy, hollywood-like title for a Product Manager. As you know, in some companies they wield tremendous decision power (like at Square Enix on FFXIV) where as Ben may be just a meat shield for someone higher up.

I don't know, but in general, product managers usually always have a lot of sway if they know what they are doing, even to higher ups. Because Ben and team do not play or use their own product however, I imagine that have no capacity to intelligently discuss the wants and needs to do the things that would help the product grow (isn't that what companies have product managers for in the first place).
It should be a prerequisite to play the game as part of their job. Maybe not the actual coders etc, but the community managers and producer should play and they should be playing on an ingame server, not an offline one.
They shouldn't have to do it out of hours, there should be time allocated for them to play at work, but playing out of hours should be encouraged.
If they were actually part of the community and player base themselves, we probably wouldn't even need to post issues because they would already know.

ShinDoRai's Avatar


ShinDoRai
01.27.2017 , 08:51 PM | #25
selling some balls for ben on the cartellshop, for only 10.000 cc already reduced for 50%
unterschätz mich ruhig, umso lustiger wird's für mich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esbI1...eature=related

DanNV's Avatar


DanNV
01.27.2017 , 11:29 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Wayshuba View Post
I don't know. Yes, James was responsible directly for a lot of the problems in the 1.x era when he was producer and creative director on the title. However, he has moved up the chain and while SWTOR is still under him, he has a lot of other responsibilities as well.

I personally believe this is Ben's direct baby. When he wrote that letter about all the exciting things coming, blah, blah, blah, that was him talking. I think he had a vision for what he thought would make this MMO great again (a return to solo story). The timing of the change in focus is too coincidental to not think he was involved.

Now that the subs started to crash, he was probably getting heat from the upper echelon at EA and came out with this desperate method (GC system) of trying to retain subs.

The issue is, he was completely wrong. I mean, after all, it is the first video game he has worked on and the first title he has ever been in charge of. I think, because of intense internal pressure, in all honesty, he is not thinking clearly (or the better way to say this is he doesn't have enough experience to know what to do). So he goes forward with this half-baked system in desperation and, in an effort for him to save face with the company, he is going to destroy a good product in the process.

Won't be the first guy in this industry to take a title down with them in flames.
you put my thoughts into writing very well. Hence why I say Ben needs to go. Nothing personal against him, but he's in over his head and has proven to be incompetent. In business, you go at that point. If he goes quick and someone starts listening they might save things. If he drags this out for months, the game may hang around a while but it will never recover even to what it has for players today.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

ShinDoRai's Avatar


ShinDoRai
01.28.2017 , 12:08 AM | #27
this all cant only be bens failure or be put on the devs shoulders. even eric ( even if we draw him through the cocoa time by time ) isnt the problem. we all know whom to aim at. but all our hopes wont change anything.
i think if they could get the time and budget they need, they would transform this game into a jewel. but they simply cant.
their hands are bound to €A and their decisions.
€A dont give a shyt about customers. didnt we learned this lesson already with
sims, simcity, fifa, nfs and a lot more games from them.

and with ea forcing us to play half stupid games, dumped down in dlcs/seasonpass/micromanagment soaked BS, we wont get anything valuable games. heading on $$ and only mainstream wont change it. with this mentality we cant expect any good things from this company...the only solution is to boycott their games. wich i already do since years. never played any new game from them since swtor was bought.
do me a favor mates. google pogo. u kill urself through laughing. charging for this kinda crap a monthly sub for 10 bucks is incredible and questionable.
and if u do more researching it get even more wicked
and no i'm not a influencer. that kinda companys promote their dumb assets alone without my help

this trend started by ea long time ago early 2k, changed their games in to BS games. my opinion.
unterschätz mich ruhig, umso lustiger wird's für mich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esbI1...eature=related

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
01.28.2017 , 11:44 AM | #28
Well, people make interesting points and have interesting theories on why the devs put in 5.0 and 5.1 which totally destroyed all of the dev work they did in 3.3.

3.3 made gear grinding for pvp gears much more palatable and they even explained why, if you check out the 3.3 patch notes I posted in the original post here.

What kind of logic is it, where 2 years ago it was understood PVP and grinding for the entry gear sets doesn't work and only discourages people more?

2 years ago they understood it made better sense to make it so entry level gear sets were more easily gained that way those newly entering PVP were on a more even ground with those sporting top tier gear sets.

They also made it so you could transfer currency used to buy PVP gears, mods, heal packs, adrenals, etc. between your different characters which meant we had more freedom to play more characters. That was good.

Less flexibility and less options is BAD.

Lengthy gear grinding for entry gear sets with bonuses on them is BAD.

Weaker bolster making the disparity between gears even more pronounced is BAD.

Making RNG the primary method to obtain gears is BAD.

Fixing things that aint broke is BAD.

5.0 and 5.1 added nothing but frustration and ruination to a perfectly fine working gearing system. End of story.
_________________________________________________
Evlas Danico Innervates Fairfield Overpowered-pt

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates

DanNV's Avatar


DanNV
01.28.2017 , 11:52 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Lengthy gear grinding for entry gear sets with bonuses on them is BAD.

Weaker bolster making the disparity between gears even more pronounced is BAD.

Making RNG the primary method to obtain gears is BAD.

Fixing things that aint broke is BAD.

5.0 and 5.1 added nothing but frustration and ruination to a perfectly fine working gearing system. End of story.
Well said.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS

DarkSaberMaster's Avatar


DarkSaberMaster
01.28.2017 , 03:47 PM | #30
Surprised the forum Knights haven't chimed in yet to defend their precious EAWare and slander the OP.
Referral link to claim your new or returning player rewards.
Ezs'ra: Sith Mara
Harbinger