Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

When will someone address the lag switching exploits?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
When will someone address the lag switching exploits?

BeoAzazel's Avatar


BeoAzazel
01.27.2017 , 02:55 AM | #1
I've been a long term subscriber and never before have I seen such blaintan exploitation of lag switches. At first I thought it was my computer. A hard reboot and restore of the computer and its running smoothly. I create a new character, level that character to 70 the whole time doing pop matches of every kind...no major issues with lag. Turn 70 and bam out of nowhere whenever I engage or am engaged by certain players I get crazy fps issues and before I know it I am dead. Some of the other players have noticed it too. So I started to pay attention to who is in active combat while I am getting lag spikes like I am using dial up again. It was consistent. One player (Toxin Germ -The Ebon Hawk) consistently lagged out just until your character is dead the. Everything goes back to normal. This is too coincidental and too inconsistent for it to be gpu issues. Like I said I have spent well over 70 levels without issue. Every lvl 70 ex it's lag heaven only during certain engagements. When will bioware start researching upload download drops and sudden increases?
Rock is fine, nerf scissors
-Paper

Beyrahl's Avatar


Beyrahl
01.27.2017 , 03:35 AM | #2
I'll update this if I magically have this issue also, otherwise my tinfoil hat will protect me.
So, if it's just that player, or the class that the player is using. Then you could simply be missing some files (Typically if you're using non SSD, reboot.), however if it's just the player, then it must be aliens.
I really doubt there's anyway to manipulate lag for someone by just being around them.

Cerbs's Avatar


Cerbs
01.27.2017 , 04:23 AM | #3
I noticed this tonight too, was really strange lag. I didn't even think to attribute it to any one player though. I'm also on Ebon Hawk and know which player you're talking about. I'll keep my eyes open for him and see what happens if I'm playing against him tomorrow. I hope you're wrong, but I experienced the same thing you described tonight =\

BeoAzazel's Avatar


BeoAzazel
01.27.2017 , 07:14 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Beyrahl View Post
I'll update this if I magically have this issue also, otherwise my tinfoil hat will protect me.
So, if it's just that player, or the class that the player is using. Then you could simply be missing some files (Typically if you're using non SSD, reboot.), however if it's just the player, then it must be aliens.
I really doubt there's anyway to manipulate lag for someone by just being around them.
According to YouTube and various google results lag switching (which apparently is incredibly easy to make) has been an issue since 2012. Perhaps leave your sarcasm and your tin hat aliens theory at home. Believe me there are people who live to cheat in games. Not the first time it's happened and certainly won't be the last.
Rock is fine, nerf scissors
-Paper

BeoAzazel's Avatar


BeoAzazel
01.27.2017 , 07:15 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerbs View Post
I noticed this tonight too, was really strange lag. I didn't even think to attribute it to any one player though. I'm also on Ebon Hawk and know which player you're talking about. I'll keep my eyes open for him and see what happens if I'm playing against him tomorrow. I hope you're wrong, but I experienced the same thing you described tonight =\
Also noticed it from spaghetti-tan and wowee but they were in the same match and stuck next to each other the whole game.
Rock is fine, nerf scissors
-Paper

BeoAzazel's Avatar


BeoAzazel
01.27.2017 , 07:59 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerbs View Post
I noticed this tonight too, was really strange lag. I didn't even think to attribute it to any one player though. I'm also on Ebon Hawk and know which player you're talking about. I'll keep my eyes open for him and see what happens if I'm playing against him tomorrow. I hope you're wrong, but I experienced the same thing you described tonight =\
Also noticed it from spaghetti-tan and wowee but they were in the same match and stuck next to each other the whole game.
Rock is fine, nerf scissors
-Paper

Janglor's Avatar


Janglor
01.27.2017 , 08:22 AM | #7
If you werent running the game on a 1999 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles wristwatch, i suspect you wouldnt have this issue. I've never seen a legit lag switch in ToR. I have seen some basic speed hacks, but thats it, and thats been really rare. (3 times total)
STOP RESISTING
Janglor
Bo'Jangles
Diabeetus

FLScuddie's Avatar


FLScuddie
01.27.2017 , 10:13 AM | #8
It's called packet pushing.. and it's been a PVP exploit for years..

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
01.27.2017 , 03:14 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by BeoAzazel View Post
I've been a long term subscriber and never before have I seen such blaintan exploitation of lag switches. At first I thought it was my computer. A hard reboot and restore of the computer and its running smoothly. I create a new character, level that character to 70 the whole time doing pop matches of every kind...no major issues with lag. Turn 70 and bam out of nowhere whenever I engage or am engaged by certain players I get crazy fps issues and before I know it I am dead. Some of the other players have noticed it too. So I started to pay attention to who is in active combat while I am getting lag spikes like I am using dial up again. It was consistent. One player (Toxin Germ -The Ebon Hawk) consistently lagged out just until your character is dead the. Everything goes back to normal. This is too coincidental and too inconsistent for it to be gpu issues. Like I said I have spent well over 70 levels without issue. Every lvl 70 ex it's lag heaven only during certain engagements. When will bioware start researching upload download drops and sudden increases?
Don't listen to the people saying it doesn't thappen, it does. Usually they are the ones who are doing it and want to discredit you or they just can't tell the difference. It's been happening since launch, but it stands out more against some people because the community is so small. So if you are stuck in a rotation against certain people, you can see this every other match. It makes it looks like there are a lot more than there used to be.
What I've noticed is that most of them are pretty crap at it. You can sort of notice that they've tried to do it, but are concentrating to much on the switching and not enough on their game play. So you see it pause, have time to roll your eyes and hit a few combos, the switch stops and it backfires on them and you kill them.
Sure there are some highly skilled switchers out there and they are a major issue. But most are scrubs who firstly can't play which is why they try to cheat, but they are also bad at the switching, so they are even worse.
You can blame Bio for the increase in these cheats because everyone knows they don't do anything to hackers or its takes them months to ban the most blatant hackers. Lag switching can be much harder to prove and Bio have no systems that can detect it. It's for these reasons there has been a rise in the percentage vs population that are using them. Not because heaps more people started doing it, but because the population is decreasing in size. Not only that, there are lots of new pve/pvp people who have little skill yet and they get sick of better players beating them. But instead of learning how to get better, they resort to cheating.
If you see cheaters, report them. Have a look at the link in my signature for the best way to report them and the way Eric Musco said is the most likely to get noticed.

LennikHax's Avatar


LennikHax
01.30.2017 , 03:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BeoAzazel View Post
Also noticed it from spaghetti-tan and wowee but they were in the same match and stuck next to each other the whole game.
1: Naming and shaming people you "think" might be hacking is against the TOS nerd. Go report them if you are that concerned about it.
2: Lag switch exploits....lol. This game is running an outdated engine that is so poorly optimized that you are lucky fleet doesn't crash into the black screen abyss. There are a dozen different reason somebody could be "Lag switching" including yourself. Depending on your connection to the various server Bioware operates it could be nothing more than a bad connection. On your end, or theirs. To say someone is lag switching without any factual evidence just makes you look like a cry baby. And it's going to get you mocked by the other nerds that read these forums. Don't be one of the crybabies mate.
3: All that being said.99% of the "HACKS!!!!!!!!" threads on these forums are entirely people that don't understand things about this game. And they can come in here and roar at me all they want.Yes hacks do exist in this game. There are ways to augment things you do in it. Trust me that is a fact. There was even somebody using no clip on Harb and TRE recently in ranked like a no skill dbag. But people don't need to jump to conclusions because this game has so many problems atm that some random person in regs on the freakin EH using a "Lag switch" is the least of anyone's concern. You should be thankful there is even PvP in this game at this point. And next time consider it might be more productive to spend your time convincing your team to tunnel said hacker into the ground instead of making a forum post that is only going to cause people to ridicule you and laugh at you the next time you are in a WZ and yell "Oh no dem haxors dun gitted meh."
Elite Scrublord and Hax king of the EH
GM of <FOTM> and <GG>
Washed up member of <Guerrilla> <Project Meyhem> <TBD>
And many more