Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

grania
02.05.2017 , 04:53 AM | #521
Quote:
if I'm remembering the dialog choices my fiance took with his Warrior, it went something like the Warrior making their interest known and then stepping back so Vette could work out how she felt about it and making her choice from there
Is that how it goes? Aww. I can see why my husband went from "I'm going to play this warrior the darkest, evilest ever!" To "Ok my warrior isn't all evil, he's actually turned into a somewhat decent guy." Vette changed his character, in a way my husband actually enjoyed. No wonder the warrior really is my favorite story, even over agent.

-'--,--##

##--,--'-

Lammia
02.05.2017 , 05:06 AM | #522
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
It's been a while since I've done the SW story, but I got the impression that Quinn was Baras's man going back all the way since Druckenwell, and Baras planted him quite deliberately with the SW after Balmorra. Now, I don't think Quinn was aware that he was intended as Baras's spy. (So we could be saying the same thing here.) I thought I remembered, (although it's quite possible my brain made this up to fill in the blanks) that Quinn was about to be court-martialed, or maybe even was, but Baras stepped in and gave him a post on Balmorra, basically saving his career. I assume Baras did this on purpose in order to make Quinn feel that he owed a very big debt to him, all with the intention of calling in that favor later on if he ever needed it.

When it became obvious that the SW was still alive after several attempts to kill her, Baras decided to put Quinn into play. I think in the beginning, loyalty to Baras and loyalty to the SW were one and the same for Quinn, and it was only when Baras told him that he wanted Quinn to kill the SW that he realized that he had to choose who to be loyal to.
This is possible too. For my RP I stick to my version, but the theory he was planted by Baras from the beginning without Quinn even knowing fits too. Again, Baras didn't tell the warrior all details, even less chance he'd tell his "sleeper cell" future assassin. Not only because Baras doesn't share info freely, but also - in his paranoia and it could happen - Quinn could (choose to) reveal it to warrior and betray Baras at some point. Darth Fatface couldn't risk that.

Quinn was court-martialed, that's in the story. I also think he was sentenced to death and Baras saved him from that, which would explain why Quinn feels he's got such a huge debt. His very own life. Baras practically owned him.

Quote: Originally Posted by Limariko View Post
Might just be me being my usual cynical self, but I honestly don't think the writers put a fraction of the volume of thought into this that we have.
This. They left it half-finished, not fully thought through, and we have to fill in the gaps. Depending on your past actions, the reasons he gives you for choosing to side with Baras are a bit different. My warrior is Dark Side patriotic one. 90% of her decisions get his approval. In this version he didn't give ANY explanation at all. That part of dialogue (reason, between his expression of regret and rambling about Baras being his true master) is just not there at all.

I was quite surprised to see him having actual reasons on my male warrior (who is their kid ). Especially since the reason surprised me.

Am I the only one who adores him for being socially inept and totally lost in the world of human interactions ("I'm better at saluting than shaking hands")? I find that adorkable lost poor soul not understanding banter, not sure how to behave when she flirts with him sooooo cute. I wish this game supported blushing. His face would be red soooo many times

grania
02.05.2017 , 05:14 AM | #523
Quote:
This. They left it half-finished, not fully thought through, and we have to fill in the gaps.

Does it make anyone else uncomfortable that the truth may simply be that the story is written to be played from a male perspective, that our romance was shoehorned in and that there really isn't any good explanation for Quinn betraying us?

-'--,--##

##--,--'-

Asheris
02.05.2017 , 05:19 AM | #524
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post
Is that how it goes? Aww. I can see why my husband went from "I'm going to play this warrior the darkest, evilest ever!" To "Ok my warrior isn't all evil, he's actually turned into a somewhat decent guy." Vette changed his character, in a way my husband actually enjoyed. No wonder the warrior really is my favorite story, even over agent.
That kind of reminds me of my first SW playthough. It was my first class choice in the game and I didn't exactly know how far I can go. I wanted to be the stereotypical sith but the first few companions we get changed me into something...else.

I couldn't bring myself to be mean to Vette for long. She has such a bubbly personality and seemed so unimpressed with the collar I took it off the first chance I got - she became a sister figure to my lady juggernaut. Quinn on the other hand tought my sith to respect soldiers and Imperial allies, at first i was just netting his approval (can't blame me, right? ) but it became natural after a while. Their marriage seemed like the perfect embodiment of that - my sith was a warrior for the Empire. Then Jaesa came along and I was pretty LS already at that point, so I thought - sure, we can make it work. I'll be the mean sith and keep up the appearances but my crew is my family and I don't need to play games on board the Fury.

It's become a canon for me and it is amazing to think how companions shaped my whole SW expirience
Have a Darkside Cookie, it may contain traces of awesome stuff!

Lammia
02.05.2017 , 05:20 AM | #525
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post

Does it make anyone else uncomfortable that the truth may simply be that the story is written to be played from a male perspective, that our romance was shoehorned in and that there really isn't any good explanation for Quinn betraying us?
Yeah He was used as a tool, whether it made sense or not. And we have to do complicated mind gymnastics for it to make sense, because we care enough.

grania
02.05.2017 , 05:26 AM | #526
Quote: Originally Posted by Lammia View Post
Yeah He was used as a tool, whether it made sense or not. And we have to do complicated mind gymnastics for it to make sense, because we care enough.
Well we showed them, didn't we? Far as I'm concerned, the femwarrior is the warrior.

-'--,--##

##--,--'-

grania
02.05.2017 , 06:36 AM | #527
Quote:
Quinn on the other hand tought my sith to respect soldiers and Imperial allies, at first i was just netting his approval (can't blame me, right? )
Haha, no I don't blame anyone for that x)

Quote:
Their marriage seemed like the perfect embodiment of that - my sith was a warrior for the Empire.
If ever I was to commission swtor artwork, it would be of Quinn and my warrior, standing on top a pile of rubble like a malevolent wedding cake - my character splattered with blood, lightsaber out, robe singed and aflame. Quinn with his pistol, and guiltily giving her a look like "I'm with you, but all is not well.."

-'--,--##

##--,--'-

Edyn
02.05.2017 , 09:28 AM | #528
Quote: Originally Posted by Limariko View Post
With Vette, if I'm remembering the dialog choices my fiance took with his Warrior, it went something like the Warrior making their interest known and then stepping back so Vette could work out how she felt about it and making her choice from there. I'll have to watch my fiance's current Warrior playthrough to refresh my memory for certain though.
There is actually where my fem SW's dialogue went with Quinn. After the initial flirting on Balmorra, Quinn is actually the one who initiated a conversation in regards to the SW's previous interest in him and how it's "caused him some trouble" or however he puts it. My SW ended up leaving the conversation saying nothing creepy or forceful and told him that she understands how he feels that it's unprofessional, but to also keep in mind that she's interested if he changes his mind. It certainly didn't end his romance, as the next conversation was his transfer request where he ultimately ends up breaking down and either kissing her or asking for permission to kiss her.

[Edit] I'd also like to add that Quinn, at the very least, had feelings for the SW as early as Tatooine, even if he doesn't say anything to the SW about it. The Jedi Master (Yonlach?) says that he can sense Quinn's devotion to the female SW and that it goes beyond professional duty, if you choose the right dialogue options, while the Jedi Master also says something completely different for the male SW (something about really admiring him). Personally, I think he was into her from the beginning, but his professionalism and duty to the Empire caused him to try and suppress his feelings.

Lammia
02.05.2017 , 11:29 AM | #529
Quote: Originally Posted by Edyn View Post
[Edit] I'd also like to add that Quinn, at the very least, had feelings for the SW as early as Tatooine, even if he doesn't say anything to the SW about it. The Jedi Master (Yonlach?) says that he can sense Quinn's devotion to the female SW and that it goes beyond professional duty, if you choose the right dialogue options, while the Jedi Master also says something completely different for the male SW (something about really admiring him). Personally, I think he was into her from the beginning, but his professionalism and duty to the Empire caused him to try and suppress his feelings.
I think so too. I think he was so shy and flustered on Balmorra because he was attracted to her from the beginning. He just didn't know how to deal with his feelings and possible complications arising from such relationship, so tried to deny or suppress his own feelings. I also wonder that he thought he didn't deserve such attention or relationship because of his "Sith are superior, I'm inferior" view of the social layers of the Empire.

Eanelinea
02.05.2017 , 11:36 AM | #530
Quote: Originally Posted by Edyn View Post
There is actually where my fem SW's dialogue went with Quinn. After the initial flirting on Balmorra, Quinn is actually the one who initiated a conversation in regards to the SW's previous interest in him and how it's "caused him some trouble" or however he puts it. My SW ended up leaving the conversation saying nothing creepy or forceful and told him that she understands how he feels that it's unprofessional, but to also keep in mind that she's interested if he changes his mind. It certainly didn't end his romance, as the next conversation was his transfer request where he ultimately ends up breaking down and either kissing her or asking for permission to kiss her.

Yeah, I heard that. I do like to have a little RP moment in my head that when my Sith Warrior first met him on Balmorra, Quinn was expecting an evil (at least in my head, I know some Sith Warriors can be nasty little goobs) and ugly (from the dark side effects) woman. He was told she was young, by Baras, so you know, he's expecting a red eyed, slightly veiny, kills for funsies, annoying spoiled brat child. So when he finally lays eyes on my Sith Warrior, and she's (again in my head) acting a little goofy after laying eyes on him and Vette is looking between the two and rolling her eyes at her bestie. His attitude internally changed a bit. Then you know following directions and doing what Quinn suggested/working with Baras (at that time we didn't know what Baras or Quinn was up to) I think he changed his mind about my girl. My sith warrior can't get anymore light side unless she stuck a flashlight up her rearend. She's light side 5 and during kotet
Spoiler

I can't wait to read the new Quinn/FemSW fics out there after this. lol

The ONLY thing I'm worried about, is for me to get Quinn I have to side with the Imperials instead of the third faction I think Bioware said which was a mesh of both sides.

So I'm going to have to hear Theron ************ at me. Maybe Lana ************ at me. My alliance members (companions from other classes) either leaving over my decision or ************ at me. I'm surprised my young character's fiery red hair doesn't have a dozen greys in it from all the trying to keep the peace in my alliance over people's opinions.

It's like choosing which side when you find Zakuulans, Imperials, and the Republic. I chose to have the Zakuuls die each time cause the majority of my companions were either from Imperial or Republic side.

Bioware definitely can make your brain hurt when playing this game and trying your best to keep both sides somewhat happy.
Bioware, please remember our companion spouses when doing new expansions. I want scenes, letters, or something from them, saying they're worried!

Click my referral link to get free rewards.