Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

Jagaimee's Avatar


Jagaimee
02.05.2017 , 12:32 AM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
It's been a while since I've done the SW story, but I got the impression that Quinn was Baras's man going back all the way since Druckenwell, and Baras planted him quite deliberately with the SW after Balmorra. Now, I don't think Quinn was aware that he was intended as Baras's spy. (So we could be saying the same thing here.) I thought I remembered, (although it's quite possible my brain made this up to fill in the blanks) that Quinn was about to be court-martialed, or maybe even was, but Baras stepped in and gave him a post on Balmorra, basically saving his career. I assume Baras did this on purpose in order to make Quinn feel that he owed a very big debt to him, all with the intention of calling in that favor later on if he ever needed it.

When it became obvious that the SW was still alive after several attempts to kill her, Baras decided to put Quinn into play. I think in the beginning, loyalty to Baras and loyalty to the SW were one and the same for Quinn, and it was only when Baras told him that he wanted Quinn to kill the SW that he realized that he had to choose who to be loyal to.

I wonder if the writers left all this stuff with Quinn deliberately vague, just so we'd spend years discussing it.
Quinn: Yes. That is correct. Baras - I can see it clearly in hindsight now - manipulated me into owing him a favor. As I explained several times to my Lord [the warrior], I did owe him my career. I felt indebted to him. He was a powerful Sith Lord; how could I not?
You don't need to explain yourself, Quinn. We believe you. but please do go on in your flowery outburst of poetry--I mean, defending yourself...just keep talking so we can hear your voice, dangit.
Quinn: As a matter of fact, I--wait, you believe me?
Yeah. We do. Us the fangirls. Remember us?
Quinn: On second thought, you believing me is, perhaps, not helping my case.
Yes, it is! You have a whole army of fangirls toting weapons of Quinn-love to back you up! *pout* I completely fail to see how you fail to see this is a good thing.
Quinn: ...you weaponized love.
Yup.
Quinn: You. Weaponized. Love. Are you all Sith?
Nah, not all of us. Well, most of us. I'm kind of grey. There's Darth Lunafox, though; she's awesome.
Quinn: ...Darth...Lunafox...is she your leader?
Sort of...kinda ish not really I don't know?? We don't really have a leader.
Quinn: So you're not like the Sith; you're like the Killiks. A hivemind. Except you used the personal pronoun "I." *warily pointing pistol*
We're not a hivemind. We're just united in our love for you.
Quinn: "Love" is not burying a man beneath a squealing pile of fangirls. Which, by the way, do not carry fans. I found that out first-hand. So to reiterate, "love" is not burying a man beneath a squealing pile of girls who like to hug - crushingly - and tickle and squee and generally make me go deaf over their exultation.
...are you done yet?
Quinn: And being this obsessive over one man does not seem healthy.
You're a bunch of pixels on a computer screen who happens to look good and you have a nice voice. We are perfectly justified.
Quinn: I'm WHAT!?
Whoops.
*fourth wall detonates*
"'But why,' some say, 'choose the moon? Why choose this as our goal?' And they might well ask, 'Why climb the highest mountain? Why, thirty-five years ago, fly the Atlantic?' Why click some random person's referral link?'"
- JFK...mostly. Save for that last part (FAQ about referral links)....... Quinnmancer

Limariko's Avatar


Limariko
02.05.2017 , 12:39 AM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
It's been a while since I've done the SW story, but I got the impression that Quinn was Baras's man going back all the way since Druckenwell, and Baras planted him quite deliberately with the SW after Balmorra. Now, I don't think Quinn was aware that he was intended as Baras's spy. (So we could be saying the same thing here.) I thought I remembered, (although it's quite possible my brain made this up to fill in the blanks) that Quinn was about to be court-martialed, or maybe even was, but Baras stepped in and gave him a post on Balmorra, basically saving his career. I assume Baras did this on purpose in order to make Quinn feel that he owed a very big debt to him, all with the intention of calling in that favor later on if he ever needed it.

When it became obvious that the SW was still alive after several attempts to kill her, Baras decided to put Quinn into play. I think in the beginning, loyalty to Baras and loyalty to the SW were one and the same for Quinn, and it was only when Baras told him that he wanted Quinn to kill the SW that he realized that he had to choose who to be loyal to.

I wonder if the writers left all this stuff with Quinn deliberately vague, just so we'd spend years discussing it.
Might just be me being my usual cynical self, but I honestly don't think the writers put a fraction of the volume of thought into this that we have.

My take on things was going from what we're told, Baras didn't really take off as a major information wheeler-dealer until he takes on the Warrior as his apprentice. For the most part the other Sith consider him an amateur playing with power. With that in mind, he likely snapped up Quinn during his court martial on chance he'll be useful down the road. He'd definitely keep playing it up that Quinn would be ruined without his stepping in and considering serving in the military is important to Quinn, that's a lot of debt to carry.

Baras tosses him in a figurative junk drawer on Balmorra, probably tosses him a few tasks here and there, doesn't think anything of it. The Balmorra part of the storyline happens and Baras likely figures Quinn'll take the first anything to get off Balmorra and it works out with Quinn jumping planet with the Warrior. He might even have Quinn do some reports on the Warrior or just let him think all debts are paid between them and let whatever happens happen, mostly just a keeping a casual eye on things until it starts becoming obvious that the Warrior's becoming a mover-shaker among the Sith so when Baras' attempts to take the Warrior out fail, he pulls the Quinn card either through threats, mind trick, or some other coercion like with the Agent storyline.

From what Quinn's seen, Baras is a powerful Sith capable of force choking through a holographic transmission. If he doesn't go along or tries to warn the Warrior, he can easily face the same fate and it's not going to stop Baras from doing another murder attempt on the Warrior. Regardless of his feelings towards the Warrior, he's in the position of no matter what, he's going to die be it at the Warrior's hands for betrayal or through Baras for either refusing or by succeeding and facing the eventual fate anyone under Baras faces when they're no longer useful. At best he can hope for a quick death from the Warrior instead of a prolonged death by torture from Baras.
My Referral link for the clicking: http://www.swtor.com/r/p2FZFM

You get stuff, I get stuff. It's a fair deal- Take It!

MishaCantu's Avatar


MishaCantu
02.05.2017 , 12:57 AM | #513
Quote: Originally Posted by Ralei View Post
They're so "nice" you forgot about them. Nadia, Temple, and even Elara.

And it isn't "nice" or "not nice" people are after. It's that spark of something interesting and unknown, something you can't predict or get bored with.

Felix and Corso are nice, but they're BLAND. uggghhh just let me put your helmet on and pretend you're someone with a personality.

Vector is the most nice and polite being in the galaxy, but he's a freaking bug. It's tragic, it's weird, it's kinky. It's interesting and he's got a serious(ly weird) following.

Andronikos is definitely not nice, but he's not that interesting, either. You don't see many "omg bring back my nicky" posts around here.
Felix and Corso are bland, but so very loyal, take a blaster bolt for you loyal, so there is that. Guess Aric is in that category.

Vector is just a man with solid black eyes. He is the true romantic, he sees the universe in wonderful expanded ways and is poetry in the flesh. I adore him. If that makes me weird, so be it, I will join Luna in that gallery.

I actually quite love Nikky Revel. He is a bad boy, not jealous, not clingy does his own thing and doesn't nag at my Inq when she does hers. I loved his letter line "We are in each other's orbits until the stars grow cold', so he has a rough romantic side too. I will be quite happy to have him back.

The female love interests, done them on some male toons, and to me there are only a few that are worth the pixels they were drawn with. And most of the voice actors would either curdle milk or put you to sleep with how bored they sound. I don't think the guys came out ahead in this I love lucy, 1950's portrayal of the female love interest.

But yeah, interesting, diverse, edgy definitely wins out. I'll save nice for real life.

JennyFlynn's Avatar


JennyFlynn
02.05.2017 , 01:07 AM | #514
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagaimee View Post
Quinn: Yes. That is correct. Baras - I can see it clearly in hindsight now - manipulated me into owing him a favor. As I explained several times to my Lord [the warrior], I did owe him my career. I felt indebted to him. He was a powerful Sith Lord; how could I not?
You don't need to explain yourself, Quinn. We believe you. but please do go on in your flowery outburst of poetry--I mean, defending yourself...just keep talking so we can hear your voice, dangit.
Quinn: As a matter of fact, I--wait, you believe me?
Yeah. We do. Us the fangirls. Remember us?
Quinn: On second thought, you believing me is, perhaps, not helping my case.
Yes, it is! You have a whole army of fangirls toting weapons of Quinn-love to back you up! *pout* I completely fail to see how you fail to see this is a good thing.
Quinn: ...you weaponized love.
Yup.
Quinn: You. Weaponized. Love. Are you all Sith?
Nah, not all of us. Well, most of us. I'm kind of grey. There's Darth Lunafox, though; she's awesome.
Quinn: ...Darth...Lunafox...is she your leader?
Sort of...kinda ish not really I don't know?? We don't really have a leader.
Quinn: So you're not like the Sith; you're like the Killiks. A hivemind. Except you used the personal pronoun "I." *warily pointing pistol*
We're not a hivemind. We're just united in our love for you.
Quinn: "Love" is not burying a man beneath a squealing pile of fangirls. Which, by the way, do not carry fans. I found that out first-hand. So to reiterate, "love" is not burying a man beneath a squealing pile of girls who like to hug - crushingly - and tickle and squee and generally make me go deaf over their exultation.
...are you done yet?
Quinn: And being this obsessive over one man does not seem healthy.
You're a bunch of pixels on a computer screen who happens to look good and you have a nice voice. We are perfectly justified.
Quinn: I'm WHAT!?
Whoops.
*fourth wall detonates*
Lmao. Don't worry Quinn, we're not really a hivemind. We do have our different opinions on you, in the way you make us... happy, the parts we love best about you. Mostly. No actually I think we may all be pretty much on par, for most part. Yeah no I can't argue any of this, I'll go back to swooning and daydreaming.

I do actually enjoy Andronikos as well, my SI is quite happy with him. I'm just not as gaga over him as I am over Quinn, Vector and Scourge my Scourge. ♥ I won't get into Corso... Felix recently grew on me for different reasons but I'm not exactly holding my breath for him either. Doc's just nice and pervy and doesn't hide it, I'm ok with that. Sadly some of my most favorite men aren't even LI's or big characters, and they're all flavors of bad. Gotta love a fantasy world.
Unsubscribed until new story content is provided and/or all companions have returned.


--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | | Defying Destiny @}}>---}-------

Asheris's Avatar


Asheris
02.05.2017 , 01:12 AM | #515
Quote: Originally Posted by eriksarcasm View Post
What is it about Quinn that makes him interesting? Is it the betrayal?
For me it's the uniqeness of the whole thing. Usually you are the heroine and meet your "partner in crime" who is your equal in every way. Sith ladies, being Force users, have a bit of a higher standing but as LIs go Andronikos (the SI love interest) is not part of the hierarchy and he makes it pretty clear. He is rebelous - which is understandable, he is a pirate!

Quinn on the other hand starts off as the "victim" of your affection. He is here to serve and finds your attention unprofessional. YOU are the one that starts the whole thing and as female romances go - that is pretty unique in it's own way.
Have a Darkside Cookie, it may contain traces of awesome stuff!

OfficerDonNZ's Avatar


OfficerDonNZ
02.05.2017 , 01:31 AM | #516
Out of the romancable men I haven't played through Doc's, Vector's, Aric's or Torain's or Irssio's romances yet.

Doc I just can't bring myself to do. As he's too much Mr Sleaze for my liking but at least he's honest about it. And Vector is another no go for me as well. I just don't like bugs. There's more to it than that but I can't really put into words.

I really liked Quinn's and Revel really suited the SI I felt. And I liked Corso's romance so leave the poor guy alone!

As for the romancle ladies I've completed Kira's, Mako's and Elena's. I enjoyed Kira's the most. Mako's was sweet in a really strange way. And as for the ex imp she never really gets the rod out her arse it wasn't bad but I don't really want to go through it a second time.
"Korriban’s a rock, mind the Sith." -Jolee Bindo.

Limariko's Avatar


Limariko
02.05.2017 , 01:34 AM | #517
Quote: Originally Posted by MishaCantu View Post
Felix and Corso are bland, but so very loyal, take a blaster bolt for you loyal, so there is that. Guess Aric is in that category.

Vector is just a man with solid black eyes. He is the true romantic, he sees the universe in wonderful expanded ways and is poetry in the flesh. I adore him. If that makes me weird, so be it, I will join Luna in that gallery.

I actually quite love Nikky Revel. He is a bad boy, not jealous, not clingy does his own thing and doesn't nag at my Inq when she does hers. I loved his letter line "We are in each other's orbits until the stars grow cold', so he has a rough romantic side too. I will be quite happy to have him back.

The female love interests, done them on some male toons, and to me there are only a few that are worth the pixels they were drawn with. And most of the voice actors would either curdle milk or put you to sleep with how bored they sound. I don't think the guys came out ahead in this I love lucy, 1950's portrayal of the female love interest.

But yeah, interesting, diverse, edgy definitely wins out. I'll save nice for real life.
Granted that my perceptions are colored heavily by life experience, I really don't see Iresso or Corso as bland. Iresso does suffer from 'late recruitment syndrome' so his character arc doesn't come across as full as it should be with how much they had to cram in there with what time you have with him. Corso suffers from his romance started toggle kicking in so early that he comes across more creepy to me.

Vector is nicely eloquent but the more the dialog revealed the extent of what Joining does to a body...that was a deal breaker for me.

Andronikos really doesn't set off my Bad Boy warning sense, but is more a rough and rowdy type to me. He pretty much won me over with his proposal being a 'I'm broken, you're broken so let's be broken together' thing.

As far as the romances with women go that I've seen/done, all of them seem off except for Kira and Vette if you go with specific dialog options. I still have yet to do an Akaavi one so I don't have an opinion on that one yet.

The Quinn one just keeps being that one that's my favorite probably because I keep seeing him as the very proper type in public and being a wildman in private.
My Referral link for the clicking: http://www.swtor.com/r/p2FZFM

You get stuff, I get stuff. It's a fair deal- Take It!

Lunafox's Avatar


Lunafox
02.05.2017 , 02:11 AM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagaimee View Post
Quinn: Yes. That is correct. Baras - I can see it clearly in hindsight now - manipulated me into owing him a favor. As I explained several times to my Lord [the warrior], I did owe him my career. I felt indebted to him. He was a powerful Sith Lord; how could I not?
You don't need to explain yourself, Quinn. We believe you. but please do go on in your flowery outburst of poetry--I mean, defending yourself...just keep talking so we can hear your voice, dangit.
Quinn: As a matter of fact, I--wait, you believe me?
Yeah. We do. Us the fangirls. Remember us?
Quinn: On second thought, you believing me is, perhaps, not helping my case.
Yes, it is! You have a whole army of fangirls toting weapons of Quinn-love to back you up! *pout* I completely fail to see how you fail to see this is a good thing.
Quinn: ...you weaponized love.
Yup.
Quinn: You. Weaponized. Love. Are you all Sith?
Nah, not all of us. Well, most of us. I'm kind of grey. There's Darth Lunafox, though; she's awesome.
Quinn: ...Darth...Lunafox...is she your leader?
Sort of...kinda ish not really I don't know?? We don't really have a leader.
Quinn: So you're not like the Sith; you're like the Killiks. A hivemind. Except you used the personal pronoun "I." *warily pointing pistol*
We're not a hivemind. We're just united in our love for you.
Quinn: "Love" is not burying a man beneath a squealing pile of fangirls. Which, by the way, do not carry fans. I found that out first-hand. So to reiterate, "love" is not burying a man beneath a squealing pile of girls who like to hug - crushingly - and tickle and squee and generally make me go deaf over their exultation.
...are you done yet?
Quinn: And being this obsessive over one man does not seem healthy.
You're a bunch of pixels on a computer screen who happens to look good and you have a nice voice. We are perfectly justified.
Quinn: I'm WHAT!?
Whoops.
*fourth wall detonates*
Tee hee. I really wish they'd change my forum name to Darth Lunafox. *jumps up and down and points* Heeeeey! Eric!!! Darth me, will you?

I loved this. You are awesome. I like you. Come here and sit by me. And Misha and Jenny and J2 and Cloud...all of us. I have tea and snacks. Quinn won't mind if we just...I dunno, stare at him for awhile, would he?

The last bit, dunno if anyone watches Westworld but it made me think of when they show a modern photo to a host. "Doesn't look like anything to me..."

Poor Quinn. He's a host. Here for our pleasure.

grania's Avatar


grania
02.05.2017 , 04:07 AM | #519
Quote:
The female love interests, done them on some male toons, and to me there are only a few that are worth the pixels they were drawn with. And most of the voice actors would either curdle milk or put you to sleep with how bored they sound. I don't think the guys came out ahead in this I love lucy, 1950's portrayal of the female love interest.
I haven't played any male characters in swtor beyond a level 10 agent. I try to get my husband to discuss the romances he's done and which ones he liked but he says they are mostly dull and even cringey.

Heck he missed romancing Dorne on his first character because he thought it was inappropriate to flirt with her! Same story with the knight, same story with consular, same story with the inq, same story with warrior "Older man in position of power creeps on younger female." Am I missing any? He's said a few times that Mako's nagging kept him from playing his bh the way he really wanted to, basically ruined the experience.

It seems the only romances he truly enjoyed were Kaliyo and Vette, and I figure it's because, like Quinn, they aren't run-of-the-mill stories/companions. In any case, I don't feel much of a compulsion to roll any dudes. Even on my agent, who's voice I enjoy immensely, I still feel like a woman trapped in a man's body, lol. What do you mean I can't flirt with Vector?

-'--,--##

##--,--'-

Limariko's Avatar


Limariko
02.05.2017 , 04:41 AM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post
I haven't played any male characters in swtor beyond a level 10 agent. I try to get my husband to discuss the romances he's done and which ones he liked but he says they are mostly dull and even cringey.

Heck he missed romancing Dorne on his first character because he thought it was inappropriate to flirt with her! Same story with the knight, same story with consular, same story with the inq, same story with warrior "Older man in position of power creeps on younger female." Am I missing any? He's said a few times that Mako's nagging kept him from playing his bh the way he really wanted to, basically ruined the experience.

It seems the only romances he truly enjoyed were Kaliyo and Vette, and I figure it's because, like Quinn, they aren't run-of-the-mill stories/companions. In any case, I don't feel much of a compulsion to roll any dudes. Even on my agent, who's voice I enjoy immensely, I still feel like a woman trapped in a man's body, lol. What do you mean I can't flirt with Vector?
While the male romances do have that position of power creepiness in many of them *coughNadiacough*, the one with Kira is more of a between peers thing since while she's still a padawan, the Knight was only until recent a padawan as well and if I remember rightly, they're close in age too as well as Kira can be promoted to a Knight in her character arc as well. With Vette, if I'm remembering the dialog choices my fiance took with his Warrior, it went something like the Warrior making their interest known and then stepping back so Vette could work out how she felt about it and making her choice from there. I'll have to watch my fiance's current Warrior playthrough to refresh my memory for certain though.
My Referral link for the clicking: http://www.swtor.com/r/p2FZFM

You get stuff, I get stuff. It's a fair deal- Take It!