Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Thanks for Malavai Quinn. <3 <3 <3 This is a love thread, haters make your own lol.

Lunafox
02.04.2017 , 06:54 PM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by Ralei View Post
They're so "nice" you forgot about them. Nadia, Temple, and even Elara.

And it isn't "nice" or "not nice" people are after. It's that spark of something interesting and unknown, something you can't predict or get bored with.

Felix and Corso are nice, but they're BLAND. uggghhh just let me put your helmet on and pretend you're someone with a personality.

Vector is the most nice and polite being in the galaxy, but he's a freaking bug. It's tragic, it's weird, it's kinky. It's interesting and he's got a serious(ly weird) following.

Andronikos is definitely not nice, but he's not that interesting, either. You don't see many "omg bring back my nicky" posts around here.
You're not wrong about Felix and Corso, in my opinion, same with MeowMeowSoldierBoy.

Andronikos, sure he's gruff, he's a pirate, but to his woman, I suspect he has a heart of gold for the most part. Good enough for me.

Now Vector is made of awesome!!!!! I love him. My friend Misha loves him...and I'm relatively sure we're not 'seriously weird'. You really don't think I'm seriously weird do you? Hmm?

Lammia
02.04.2017 , 06:59 PM | #502
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post
I have to confess, I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that in a couple months, people are going to start taking their shiny new Quinns places like Coruscant, and the Republic Fleet. The Esseles! He just doesn't belong there, I'm very sorry I'm so greedy about it.
That... is something I didn't think about.

On the other hand, I see him so rarely on the Imp side that I doubt I'll see a lot more on the Pub side... especially since I'm not often there myself

And I guess it can't be worse than my Jedi Sage with Felix Iresso on Tython: http://imgur.com/nYuX8xD

grania
02.04.2017 , 07:06 PM | #503
Quote:
And I guess it can't be worse than my Jedi Sage with Felix Iresso on Tython: http://imgur.com/nYuX8xD
That looks exactly as weird as Quinn is going to look in his imp uniform standing around in the Senate. I mean.. he joins pubs for turning on the republic.. I seriously hope they've thought this through. Pierce doesn't get dragged around like that.. Maybe I'm just overprotective, the rp is strong with me

-'--,--##

##--,--'-

SithKoriandr
02.04.2017 , 07:18 PM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by grania View Post
I have to confess, I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that in a couple months, people are going to start taking their shiny new Quinns places like Coruscant, and the Republic Fleet. The Esseles! He just doesn't belong there, I'm very sorry I'm so greedy about it.
Some will be doing that with Elara. So it's both sides!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

grania
02.04.2017 , 07:20 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Yeah but, I don't care about Elara

-'--,--##

##--,--'-

CloudCastle
02.04.2017 , 07:28 PM | #506
Quote: Originally Posted by eriksarcasm View Post
What is it about Quinn that makes him interesting? Is it the betrayal?
No, it's not the betrayal, not for me anyway, although that factors into it in an indirect sort of way.

Quinn is an underdog in a world that is astoundingly stacked against him, yet he never gives up and never admits defeat. He has completely bought into the idea that the Empire is a meritocracy, even when it's obvious that it really isn't, and has wholeheartedly embraced the notion is that he inherently inferior to the Sith. This makes him a bit of a tragic figure for me, but a noble one.

He is completely, unfailingly loyal, to the point where he would rather ignore his own survival instincts to follow Baras until the bitter end, all because he gave his word to Baras first and feels that it would be dishonorable to go back on his promise. That is the kind of man whose loyalty you want on your side, people, because that is a loyalty that can never be swayed or compromised. Once he failed to kill my SW, his life was forfeit. When she gave him a second chance, he was hers utterly, because now she owned his loyalty more than Baras. This is why my warrior didn't want to kill him, and why she actually respected him more after the betrayal.

He is calculating and ruthless, which my DS SW could relate to, and he knows how Sith power games work. He also balanced her out - he was the brains to her brawn, the thinker to her doer, the planner to her spontaneity. I loved the kind of duo they made.

The Quinn romance is interesting and different, and there's freedom there to take the story and work it in various ways to fit your character. That is what I like about Quinn and the Quinn romance.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Do we know for sure that supporting the Empire or Republic will actually get you the respective companion, regardless of what faction you are? It is going to be weird if that is the case. Maybe it will only allow you to spare them though if you are of the opposite faction. It'll be interesting to see anyway.

Lammia
02.04.2017 , 07:55 PM | #507
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
He is completely, unfailingly loyal, to the point where he would rather ignore his own survival instincts to follow Baras until the bitter end, all because he gave his word to Baras first and feels that it would be dishonorable to go back on his promise. That is the kind of man whose loyalty you want on your side, people, because that is a loyalty that can never be swayed or compromised. Once he failed to kill my SW, his life was forfeit. When she gave him a second chance, he was hers utterly, because now she owned his loyalty more than Baras. This is why my warrior didn't want to kill him, and why she actually respected him more after the betrayal.
I see his choice differently. He didn't choose Baras. He chose what was better for the Empire, to which he is ultimately loyal. He had two Sith: A Dark Council Voice of the Emperor guy, whom he knew for years and believed to work for the good of the Empire vs. a young, masterless Sith, who is being talked to by two Purebloods, one being totally bonkers at that, and who happen to have great claims of being "Emperor's Hand" whatever that means.

In my eyes he chose one he felt was in the position to bring more to the Empire, more influence to work for its good. He didn't chose Baras, he chose the Empire. He was wrong in his assessment, but he never betrayed one thing he was always loyal to: The Sith Empire.

I also believe Quinn didn't work for Baras from the beginning, but was contacted and forced to return to his service after Belsavis, and Draagh's second failed attempt at warrior's life. Some reactions (approval/disapproval) to dialogues and some dialogues could confirm this theory, so I stick to it in my RP.

That's also the reason why my warrior was never angry with him. He put the Empire above her, which hurt her, but was not surprising. And she never blamed him for not understanding that Baras was full of cr*p. Baras barely told her anything, her - a fellow Sith. Only need-to-know basis info, when he sent her to the tasks he was giving her. He certainly wouldn't share anything with a mere Imp, a mid-ranking officer, who could be easily replaced by another faceless, nameless mid-ranking officer.

SithKoriandr
02.04.2017 , 08:20 PM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
Do we know for sure that supporting the Empire or Republic will actually get you the respective companion, regardless of what faction you are? It is going to be weird if that is the case. Maybe it will only allow you to spare them though if you are of the opposite faction. It'll be interesting to see anyway.
Just speculation on my part. Would suck to pick a side and not get a companion though if you pick your opposite side. It could lead many to just picking their side, which so many seem to be thinking to do just because they think "Why change."
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Edyn
02.04.2017 , 09:17 PM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by Lammia View Post
...I also believe Quinn didn't work for Baras from the beginning, but was contacted and forced to return to his service after Belsavis, and Draagh's second failed attempt at warrior's life. Some reactions (approval/disapproval) to dialogues and some dialogues could confirm this theory, so I stick to it in my RP....
This definitely stood out for me on my current play-through. Once the Wrath's survival was known to Baras and after Baras' primary assassin, Lord Draagh, was defeated on Belsavis, The Hand said that the Wrath's survival was no longer a secret. With Draagh out of commission, Quinn is Baras' the next logical choice considering their history and the fact that he's so close to the Wrath.

Moving forward, I figured that Quinn would make some excuse as to why Jaesa or someone else would be best suited to accompany the Wrath on Voss so that he could spend that time on the ship, preparing for Baras' directive. This would mostly likely have been months of story time passing while Quinn reviewed and analyzed the combat data that he'd been collecting on the Wrath over the past couple of years so that he could use that data not for routine tactics/strategy and mission planning for the Wrath, which was one of his duties, but to procure and program war droids to eliminate the Wrath. I image that Quinn did this with a heavy heart and probably lost a lot of sleep in those months when the Wrath was on Voss - he never sounded like he was 100% all-in during the actual betrayal with my Wrath as he talked a big game in one sentence while coming across as torn and conflicted in another. A lowly Imperial stuck in no-win situation where the only thing he could do was salvage was his sense loyalty to the Sith he had originally pledged it to, even if it cost him his life.

(This is why I love this character - layers!)

CloudCastle
02.04.2017 , 09:46 PM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by Lammia View Post
I also believe Quinn didn't work for Baras from the beginning, but was contacted and forced to return to his service after Belsavis, and Draagh's second failed attempt at warrior's life. Some reactions (approval/disapproval) to dialogues and some dialogues could confirm this theory, so I stick to it in my RP.
It's been a while since I've done the SW story, but I got the impression that Quinn was Baras's man going back all the way since Druckenwell, and Baras planted him quite deliberately with the SW after Balmorra. Now, I don't think Quinn was aware that he was intended as Baras's spy. (So we could be saying the same thing here.) I thought I remembered, (although it's quite possible my brain made this up to fill in the blanks) that Quinn was about to be court-martialed, or maybe even was, but Baras stepped in and gave him a post on Balmorra, basically saving his career. I assume Baras did this on purpose in order to make Quinn feel that he owed a very big debt to him, all with the intention of calling in that favor later on if he ever needed it.

When it became obvious that the SW was still alive after several attempts to kill her, Baras decided to put Quinn into play. I think in the beginning, loyalty to Baras and loyalty to the SW were one and the same for Quinn, and it was only when Baras told him that he wanted Quinn to kill the SW that he realized that he had to choose who to be loyal to.

I wonder if the writers left all this stuff with Quinn deliberately vague, just so we'd spend years discussing it.