The newest Odessen warzone just isn't good gameplay...

Kurfer

I honestly think the design team really dropped the ball when making this map. The control points are just so far apart and it just promotes ****** and dull gameplay. We spend most of the map running from node to node and when teams turtle on their side nodes single pop it just lends to a boring early game, only picking up when 3 nodes spawn at once.

Even then it spreads healers and really wrecks uncoordinated teams full of random pve keyboard turners looking for ez CXP.

I leave every time this thing pops, I want to *********** pvp not run around like an ******e all game.

Spreading the healers is the whole point of the Odessen WZ.

Almost every other WZ with nodes ends up being each team having 1 guarded node, with one node being fought over. (Unless one team is getting rolled.) In a game with 2-3 healers on one side or the other can quickly lead to healing locked matches, where the node more or less stuck on whomever capped it first.

They tried to break that with the hypergate wz mechanics, but failed. It just made a mess in mid, with an occasional node loss to a stealthier which makes a lot of people salty to their own teammates.

It's Bioware's failure that so many WZ just end up "healer locked" so instead of adjusting class mechanics they made a map that discourages cross healing.

The Odessen wz isn't great, but it does prevent cross healing turtles. The advantage in Odessen goes to groups who grab the "power ups", or attack and steal power ups from the turtling group that would only send out a few players to snag them.

It's weird to me that a critique of Odessen doesn't include a single mention of the power ups. Lots of players ignore them completely, but they're just as important as the nodes.

Odessen is actually pretty fun when you know how to play it and have a team that does as well.

Its finding a balance in team play, and spreading to secure mods and control points early. Class with high field mobility like marauders or sniper are obviously advantaged a bit, as they move around a lot faster.

Stealth classes are at a disadvantage compared to regular maps, as mods AND node capturing must be carried/guarded out of stealth. So you can't sintank lock a control point vs 4 people like you could in Novare Coast or Alderaan.

Sniper are the bane of any team with deactivate when they roll in entrenched, there is nothing you can do, even if 8 people of your team are dps and unloading on it.

So its a nice team effort, it advantages different things than the "normal" wz, and yes it makes it less "healer" locked than the others, huttball excluded.

The best team have 1-2 good lone wolf player that are mobile and hard to pin down running around, grabbing mods, boosting nodes, getting early capture etc and squad of 2-3 doing the guarding. Any time on a controlled node count, so even if they arrive on you with superior force, delaying them with cc, kb, etc even if you eventually lose the control point has given points to your team, and they may very well get their node having spent all this time and effort on you, and they get 6-7 seconds worth of point only.

Just like a well timed kb with a root and or ccs can make you quickly solo capture a node even if 2-3 people were guarding it, depending on their class and which ability they have free.

I can see your point about healer lock. I just can't stand how much running you have to do; I pvp to fight. I don't mind the power ups as much as I just hate running around constantly. It's hard to coordinate in random solo WZ's and all of my IRL pvping friends wont touch this game no matter how much I try to talk them into it.

When playing with randoms that don't give a ****, it's hard to determine the group split or coordinate who gets buffs etc. It's really painful when I run to north node only to see people that were going to a different node stop in their tracks and run north leaving other nodes open. I hate fighting at a node when it's 3 of us vs some random stealther...just unfun.

I have said it before and I will say it again: don't PVP in the Odessen PVP map. Your time is generally better spend trying to get mods and positioning yourself to the next rounds.

The only exceptions are:

- if you are already holding a point, and you believe you can delay incoming forces.

- If you have the disable mod and you run as a sniper (go in, crouch, entranch, knock-back, disable point).

My only complaints about Odessan are that it is not remotely newb-friendly and it doesn't make sense outside of the game (can't easily explain what's going on to observers). But it's one of my favorite wzs to pop into.

I honestly think the design team really dropped the ball when making this map. The control points are just so far apart and it just promotes ****** and dull gameplay. We spend most of the map running from node to node and when teams turtle on their side nodes single pop it just lends to a boring early game, only picking up when 3 nodes spawn at once.

Even then it spreads healers and really wrecks uncoordinated teams full of random pve keyboard turners looking for ez CXP.

I leave every time this thing pops, I want to *********** pvp not run around like an ******e all game.

Well. When the map was first introduced, it was met with vast amounts of hate. We all adjusted to it, learned it, and either you like it or don't.

Compared to all the other maps which pvp is equally important as objectives, this Odessen map literally is 100% objective based.

It's kind of complicated too, for a new player to learn as it's not one bit intuitive at all. I hated it early on, and just learned to accept it and found fulfillment in doing the objectives later on.

I would still place quesh huttball as my least favorite map due to the extreme lag and ease of scoring.

My only complaints about Odessan are that it is not remotely newb-friendly and it doesn't make sense outside of the game (can't easily explain what's going on to observers). But it's one of my favorite wzs to pop into.

I like it a lot now, but the first few times I played it I had no idea what was going on.

I like Odessen map a lot. It is very refreshing. Requires to do somthing other than kill, kill kill and /or stay static in one spot.

Hypergates is nice too, but if your team is very good and you are in guard duty, you get VERY bored.

It's weird to me that a critique of Odessen doesn't include a single mention of the power ups. Lots of players ignore them completely, but they're just as important as the nodes.

I ignored them because

a) I didn't know how to use them - I don't remember the tutorial explaining that to the player

b) didn't know how to give them to others - I don't remember the tutorial explaining that to the player, either

b) knowing that there is always someone better in using them. More tactically etc. ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

It's my second favorite map behind Hypergate.

I actually love the mechanics, grabbing a deactivate mod and running to punk over the other team is a lot of fun. Often people are too busy playing Team Deathmatch to notice until it's too late.

I like the map a lot.

Edited by stoopicus

It's my second favorite map behind Hypergate.

I actually love the mechanics, grabbing a deactivate mod and running to punk over the other team is a lot of fun. Often people are too busy playing Team Deathmatch to notice until it's too late.

I like the map a lot.

Yeah ironically the most enjoyable part is using a mod properly. I can't imagine doing this wz, and not trying to learn how to use the mods. One of the most important points of the wz is the mods.

I don't mind Odessen, but mostly it's a bit too random. If you guess the nodes correctly and can cap early and hold, and maybe get a couple of useful mods, you can build a huge lead quickly. - plus it isn't so good for Pugs, who can normally hold their own in a different 8v8, but seem too spread out to co-ordinate in Odessen.

Also there's a lot of running around. So many times I hold a node and see 2 others crossing paths on their way somewhere. If there was a shorthand way of communicating in ops chat what the plan is, it's stop a lot of running around corridors. - At least in other WZ you can decide on a strategy - Stealth left, cap early, cap off node, or follow the hutball and keep to the RHS. - for instance. I've yet to see a plan spelled out at the start of Odessen, - irrespective of whether anyone will follow it.

can anyone suggest a robust winning strategy for random groups?

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I don't mind Odessen, but mostly it's a bit too random. If you guess the nodes correctly and can cap early and hold, and maybe get a couple of useful mods, you can build a huge lead quickly. - plus it isn't so good for Pugs, who can normally hold their own in a different 8v8, but seem too spread out to co-ordinate in Odessen.

Also there's a lot of running around. So many times I hold a node and see 2 others crossing paths on their way somewhere. If there was a shorthand way of communicating in ops chat what the plan is, it's stop a lot of running around corridors. - At least in other WZ you can decide on a strategy - Stealth left, cap early, cap off node, or follow the hutball and keep to the RHS. - for instance. I've yet to see a plan spelled out at the start of Odessen, - irrespective of whether anyone will follow it.

can anyone suggest a robust winning strategy for random groups?

I think that's just to do with those warzones age. They've been in the game along time and the tactics became the meta through a much larger PvP community. Hypergates is a bit more 'dynamic' and odessen even more so.

I think that's just to do with those warzones age. They've been in the game along time and the tactics became the meta through a much larger PvP community. Hypergates is a bit more 'dynamic' and odessen even more so.

OPG is getting on for a year old now. Mustv'e played 100s, but never seen anyone type "hold 3" or split us into any groups, or ask anyone to do power ups and others to guard. As soon as the gates open people scatter and so it remains until someone wins. - If you see any groups, people tend to move to the edges fluffing their numbers with AoE damage or Heals. - totally disregarding the lone capper who steals a node or takes it without a fight.

Edited by Storm-Cutter