Rage/Focus Guide 5.0

Schwarzschilda

Hi everyone,

I've taken upon the task of writing the focus/rage guide for 5.0. I don't post in the forums so you probably don't know me, but I'm Skyesora, current owner of the second highest parse for the spec: http://parsely.io/parser/view/229757/24

The rotation I used in that is a bit out of date, and I've come up with what I think is an optimal rotation. I'm not 100% happy with where sundering strike ends up falling but the alternative was to forego a use of freezing force, which didn't seem ideal.

Opener:

Force leap -> combat focus + focused burst -> zealous leap -> force exhaustion -> concentrated slice -> dispatch -> blade barrage -> freezing force -> focused burst -> zealous leap -> sundering strike -> concentrated slice -> blade storm -> freezing force -> combat focus + focused burst -> rotation

Rotation:

(Combat focus + focused burst from opener/previous rotation) -> zealous leap -> force exhaustion -> concentrated slice -> blade barrage -> riposte -> freezing force -> focused burst -> zealous leap -> concentrated slice -> sundering strike -> blade storm -> freezing force -> combat focus + focused burst -> (repeat)

Execute:

(Combat focus + focused burst from opener/previous rotation) -> zealous leap -> force exhaustion -> concentrated slice -> dispatch -> blade barrage -> freezing force -> focused burst -> zealous leap -> sundering strike -> concentrated slice -> blade storm -> freezing force -> combat focus + focused burst -> (repeat)

I tried moving around sundering strike such that I could use riposte in the second heightened power window instead but in practice it led to problems with ability cooldowns and focus management.

Can you list your stats for us/me? I'd be curious to see how you're pulling 9k dps. I'm moreso interested in your alacrity rating, as when I attempt the rotation, I seem to be roughly .3 seconds off from each ability tick which obviously kills my deeps.

These are my stats as are in game right now:

Mastery: 6422

Endurance: 7817

Power: 3607

Critical: 1779

Alacrity: 1022

Accuracy: 794

I'm in probably between 236/240 equivalent gear, as I have two pieces of 242 but a bunch of armorings and some mods that are still 230/234/236. The DPS I get out of the spec varies from about 8.4k-9.1k depending upon the number of crits I get in an actual fight. That's interesting the problem you're having, though, let me try it with a low alacrity rating.

I attempted with an alacrity rating of 0 and it still works for me. You say you're a bit off on ability activation, could it be your server lag?

You know, that would make sense. I'm upgrading my Wifi card so it works better at the school. Thanks!

Hi!

You may have seen me before (my juggernaut's name is Makrgo ;)). I like to see someone writing a guide for such an undervalued spec atm :D.

Ha, the one person who's been able to beat me so far. Personally I swap between the two specs a lot. I prefer Vigilance in PvE content most of the time, and I like Focus for PvP. I've started to warm up to Focus for PvE content, though, and since the DPS is comparable now, I think it's important to know both and be able to swap between the two as the fight dictates. You wouldn't really want to use Focus for, say Grob'Thok because of how tasty that AoE is, nor would it be ideal for fights where sustained-single target damage is important. But in fights with heavy target swapping and thus lost DoT uptime, I think Focus is the better choice.

Ha, the one person who's been able to beat me so far. Personally I swap between the two specs a lot. I prefer Vigilance in PvE content most of the time, and I like Focus for PvP. I've started to warm up to Focus for PvE content, though, and since the DPS is comparable now, I think it's important to know both and be able to swap between the two as the fight dictates. You wouldn't really want to use Focus for, say Grob'Thok because of how tasty that AoE is, nor would it be ideal for fights where sustained-single target damage is important. But in fights with heavy target swapping and thus lost DoT uptime, I think Focus is the better choice.

I personally play all three juggy specs, preferrably rage, but some fights are certainly better for vengeance (Revan HM comes to mind). I'm still learning vengeance so my dps is lower on that (stiil 8k+). Mained tank for 2 years but decided to go dps for 5.0, and loving it so far :D.

I personally play all three juggy specs, preferrably rage, but some fights are certainly better for vengeance (Revan HM comes to mind). I'm still learning vengeance so my dps is lower on that (stiil 8k+). Mained tank for 2 years but decided to go dps for 5.0, and loving it so far :D.

Yeah Guardians/Juggernauts were hit quite hard in this patch not because of nerfs but because seemingly every other class got a reflect. But I don't really understand all the hate; we're still viable for all content and a good Guardian/Juggernaut is still one of the most powerful wrecking crews in PvP. You just can't go 1v3 anymore, which, I think is a good thing.

PVP utilities are beyond the scope of the guide I'm writing, but here's what I take:

Skillful: Battlefield Command, Debilitation

Heroic: Gather Strength, Unremitting, Focused Freedom

Masterful: Whiplash

Legendary: Cut Loose, Daunting Presence

Pretty much everything to do with hindering the movement of your target, some movement utility, and extra seconds of Saber Reflect.

PVP utilities are beyond the scope of the guide I'm writing, but here's what I take:

Skillful: Battlefield Command, Debilitation

Heroic: Gather Strength, Unremitting, Focused Freedom

Masterful: Whiplash

Legendary: Cut Loose, Daunting Presence

Pretty much everything to do with hindering the movement of your target, some movement utility, and extra seconds of Saber Reflect.

What about focus Utility points for pve? :)

Thanks for doing this.

A couple of weeks ago i finnaly got onto Grind'er, my free premade 60 Jugg from 4.0 that i made and left to rot, and jumped into Vengeance spec. Been playing her every since, and some guildies said to look up Rage spec. When i did, i couldn't find nothing on Dulfy for Rage 5.0.

Anyway, will check in from time to time :))

• 1 year later...