RX 480 unplayable FPS

AdrianMusic

Sorry for posting here but i dont believe that bioware can help me on this one.

I have upgraded my GPU from R9 270 to RX40 - STRIX, 8GB and now game is unplayable for me. I have tried all suggestions found here except returning to windows 7 (am at 10 now) like directX, GPU tweaks with power limit, turning off AA in game but turn it on on GPU settings.....its 5th day since i have this graphic and i cant play.

At fleet or at normal play zones i get 150-200fps but when im in combat (PvP especially) it drops to around 2 FPS for 5-8 seconds and than it picks back to 50 for some short time and than again drops to 2-4 FPS.

Other games like Witcher 3, or Tomb Raider are working great so hardware is fine

Rest of my specs are FX8320, 8GB DDR3, and SSD. With my old GPU i had no issues

Anyone had or heard about anything that might help me? Thx

Few initial things to check

Heat can exhibit "5-8 seconds and than it picks back to 50 for some short time and than again drops to 2-4 FPS."

Ie system throttles temp lowers, speed picks up , it heats again and throttles to cool again

when you went to win 10 you did set windows power options to high performance ?

so check temps and the windows power settings

if it persists make a post at EA Answers HQ and attach a dxdiag per this link

Edit - google of rx480 low fps does pop up a lot of returns maybe talk to AMD as well ?

Edited by OwenBrooks

power is High performance and i monitored temps with wattman so its not an issue i think.

Graphic card is fine since i have great FPS at other demanding games just swtor gives me headache

i have posted on EA with dxdiag to see if they have idea

Edited by AdrianMusic

SWTOR is very CPU intensive, especially in PvP and OPs. Perhaps it's your CPU that's throttling. Your older 270 may not have pushed the frame rates enough to cause the CPU to throttle.

Or you may have disturbed the integrity of the CPU cooler's thermal compound while installing the new graphics card.

As a test, trying running on minimum graphics settings and see if the problem persists. If it does, then your CPU is the problem.

If the CPU is the problem, wait for Ryzen and upgrade.

Edited by JediQuaker

SWTOR is very CPU intensive, especially in PvP and OPs. Perhaps it's your CPU that's throttling. Your older 270 may not have pushed the frame rates enough to cause the CPU to throttle.

Or you may have disturbed the integrity of the CPU cooler's thermal compound while installing the new graphics card.

As a test, trying running on minimum graphics settings and see if the problem persists. If it does, then your CPU is the problem.

If the CPU is the problem, wait for Ryzen and upgrade.

^ Like he said.

Upgraded my CPU from FX 6300 to i7-4790k. I still got fps drops but not from 70 to 20 but 100+ to 40-50 now.

I have checked CPU usage with MSI afterburner and its usage never goes over 40%. And if it was an issue i think it would happen in other games aswell

Regarding thermal compound i have removed stock cooler and installed Cooler Master when i bought GPU last week so everything is new in that area. Lowering settings changes nothing :(

I have upgraded my GPU from R9 270 to RX40 - STRIX, 8GB and now game is unplayable for me. I have tried all suggestions found here except returning to windows 7 (am at 10 now) like directX, GPU tweaks with power limit, turning off AA in game but turn it on on GPU settings.....its 5th day since i have this graphic and i cant play.

At fleet or at normal play zones i get 150-200fps but when im in combat (PvP especially) it drops to around 2 FPS for 5-8 seconds and than it picks back to 50 for some short time and than again drops to 2-4 FPS.

Other games like Witcher 3, or Tomb Raider are working great so hardware is fine

How is that card btw ive had my eye on that one for awhile the strix is cool design and the led lights on the card itself. getting it when my tax return gets here. better be worth it with shipping and tax its guna be round 300

I'm running this below system and have none of the issues you are having in WZs. I'll try and help you with this, but I need to know what exact graphics settings do you have in the game.

i7 4790k

Sapphire RX 480 8gb nitro

16gb ram

Asus Maximus formula MB

Samsung 850pro SSDs

My FPS in WZs never goes below 60, but usually sits between 90-110fps

This is my AMD crimson settings if you want to try it out

Antialiasing mode - override application

Antialiasing level - 2xEQ

Antialiasing filter - standard

Antialiasing method - multisampling

Morphological filtering - off

Anisotropic filter mode - use application settings

Texture filter quality - high

Surface format optimisation- on

Vertical sync - off unless specified

OpenGL buffering - off

Shader cache - on

Tessellation - use application

Frame rate control - 160 FPS

Swtor settings

Vertical sync off

Resolution- 5760 x 1080

Bloom off

Conversation depth off

Texture quality high

Shader quality high

Antialiasing off

Character lvl detail high

Texture anisotropy high

Character texture atlasing high

Visible character limit very high

Shadow quality off

Shadow map cascades medium (but it's disabled anyway)

Grass render medium

Tree quality 20

Grass quality 20

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I'm running this below system and have none of the issues you are having in WZs. I'll try and help you with this, but I need to know what exact graphics settings do you have in the game.

i7 4790k

Sapphire RX 480 8gb nitro

16gb ram

Asus Maximus formula MB

Samsung 850pro SSDs

My FPS in WZs never goes below 60, but usually sits between 90-110fps

This is my AMD crimson settings if you want to try it out

Antialiasing mode - override application

Antialiasing level - 2xEQ 8XEQ

Antialiasing filter - standard

Antialiasing method - multisampling

Morphological filtering - off

Anisotropic filter mode - use application settings

Texture filter quality - high

Surface format optimisation- on

Vertical sync - off unless specified

OpenGL buffering - off

Shader cache - on

Tessellation - use application

Frame rate control - 160 FPS MINE IS OFF

Swtor settings

Vertical sync off

Resolution- 5760 x 1080 1920X1080

Bloom off

Conversation depth off

Texture quality high

Shader quality high

Antialiasing off

Character lvl detail high

Texture anisotropy high

Character texture atlasing high

Visible character limit very high

Shadow quality off

Shadow map cascades medium (but it's disabled anyway)

Grass render medium

Tree quality 20

Grass quality 20

Settings almost same, 3 differences...

I tried all recommended suggestions with settings found online.

Last night i overclocked, downclocked, played with wattman etc and i my friend suggested that i check my core clocks on MSI afterburner. I played one WZ with that on and saw that Core clock is droping even to 300mhz. That is when i have low FPS. Like the GPU is not recognizing that i need power. So switched to manual and set all stages to 1250mhz and i had improvement. Now fps will go down but not so drastically and not for that long. Was tired and went asleep. Gona tweak when i get back from work some more

@HarbingerIskatu GPU is awesome in other games bro (played Overwatch, Witcher 3 and latest Tomb Raider) but i wouldnt go for it for swtor

Btw thx everyone

Edited by AdrianMusic

After every possible thing i reverted to windows 7 and now i play 3840 X 2160 resolution with lowest fps at 70. Just posted this if anyone encounters similar problem.

Cheers

Suggest sending details to AMD as well it could be a driver/OS issue - http://www.amd.com/report also contact the manufacturer in case brand specific

Bit rough to revert OS to get the card working better

Edited by OwenBrooks