PvPing and Keybinding

Bookworm_Jedi

So I"m doing pretty good in pvp with my combat sent... ironically not so good on my carnage mara, but I'm still working on that :)

Everyone talks about keybinding. I'm a point and mouse click kinda gal.

Some tips? I put my saber moves into the 1-0 spot on the top of my bar, and after that everyone goes weird because I'm half hitting the numbers half mouse clicking. It's really hard for me in maps like Hutball trying to click on people and force jump, etc.

To expand on the video's layout, I also use Z,X,C binds in addition to V, usually for CC, roots and snares.

Q, E, and S are usually movement abilities, like charges and sprints, rootbreakers, etc.

F and shift+F for procs.

R for shorter cooldown defense, like Rebuke/Cloak of Pain

1-4 and shift+1-4 for rotational abilities

F1 and F4 for long cooldown DCDs, F2 and 3 for WZ medpacks and adrenals.

I have 2 thumb buttons on my mouse, the closest is always an interrupt and the further button is used for other disablers like Evasion and Pacify/Obfuscate.

Squiggly ~ for swapping focus targets

5 for crouching on sniper/slinger

Oh and I don't use the first quickbar. There's 4 binds on the last 4 slots, F1-4. QB 3, 4 and 6 are full of binds. I put the abilities where I want them, then disable them.

I use bars 5 and 2 to display any abilities with cooldowns. Keeps my UI neat and tidy.

Edited by Troelsen

You should be using your mouse to move which means either you use keys to use abilities or you stop moving whenever you use an ability.

Doing it the other way around, using the keys to move (aka Turner) and using the mouse to click abilities (aka Clicker) will ultimately limit how well you PvP.

Moving with mouse will also help you in group PvE content when it comes time to not stand in stuff.

something that helps out a lot is getting a gaming mouse with the 12 buttons on the side, as you mention there are a lot of things to bind and not a lot of space so you end up clicking some and binding the others and it's actually harder to do half and half then fully one or the other. with modifiers like shift and/or alt, even just using the first 6 buttons on the side of the gaming mouse (they're the most comfortable to me, the bottom 6 are hard to hit while turning and other such things) that gives you 18 extra binds. 36 if you can get used to the whole mouse, not including the mouse wheel for another 3 for almost 40 binds in total.

Another thing that might help is to leave your w, a, and d movement while you get used to your binds, just holding the right mouse button to move direction. this can help with it being hard to aim AoE's and things like that while holding down both mouse buttons and also whenever you need to use a mousewheel bind you can continue moving.

Edited by jedcjedcjedc

I've been using a Razer Naga for something like 6 years now. I cannot imagine playing without it with the amount of keybinds I use in this game, and with macros when playing wow. It allows me to limit keybinds on my keyboard so strafing is never limited due to my fingers being elsewhere.

I've been using a Razer Naga for something like 6 years now. I cannot imagine playing without it with the amount of keybinds I use in this game, and with macros when playing wow. It allows me to limit keybinds on my keyboard so strafing is never limited due to my fingers being elsewhere.

Agreed.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=razer+naga

I set my A and D keys for strafe left / right, use the mouse to turn (press and hold right click), W key for moving forward. The S key can be used for something else since you never want to go backwards anyway...just flip the camera 180 degrees and go forward in the opposite direction. You will need to increase your mouse sensitivity quite a bit from the default in order to make this work well. But once you get used to it, you will be running circles around keyboard turners.

With the Naga (or other similar 12 button gaming mouse), you can get 36 different keybinds with the shift and ctrl modifiers, which is more than you will need. Personally, I just use 1-12, shift + 1-12, QERF, ctrl 1-3, middle mouse button, shift + middle mouse button, and the two extra mouse buttons. That is enough binds to play any class and any spec. Oh and I use Y for class buffs, H for out of combat healing regen, and V for throw huttball. So maybe I use a few more than 36 total haha.

You can use the same binds for similar abilities on multiple different classes. For example, stun breaker, hard stun, mezz, leap, AOE, execute, stealth, focus builder, root, DoT 1, DoT 2, heals, DCD 1, DCD 2, basic attack, etc. That makes it easier to play anything while still having your muscle memory set for certain things, minimizing how many things are different.

If you do want to make the switch, it will take a fair amount of practice. When I switched a few years ago, I hated it at first. I had to really struggle through learning it. My suggestion is to practice in PVE. Go run some e.g. Oricon dailies, heroics, or whatever. Once you get used to it though, you'll wonder how you ever got by the other way. :)

Edited by teclado

I'm wondering how I can memorize all that :eek:

You don't. It comes natural if you play it enough.

Copying other peoples layouts won't work though. Find keys to bind, if you have to.. free them up by un and re-binding default ui keys. Then try and keep big cooldowns near eachother but not accidentially reachable, frequently used abilities on 1-5 etc etc. You REALLY have to do it yourself.

You don't have to bind everything at once either. You could start by just binding some things you were clicking before.

Everything at once is a bit radical. And while it worked for me a long time ago, it might not for you.

Edited by Evolixe

Well that's called muscle memory. All it takes is finding a setup that you're comfortable with and practice. Given enough time and practice, you'll eventually learn what parts of the setup could be modified to make it even more comfortable and accessible.

Thanks for all the tips everyone :)

Ok I'll use my SW as an example

I keep all my saber moves in the 1-9 spots and all my other moves that aren't saber related underneath that.

I went into the keybinding section in options, but... how do I tell the game I want to.. let's say use Shift and A to force jump....I went to the movement set part of the keybinding too

You don't. It comes natural if you play it enough.

Copying other peoples layouts won't work though. Find keys to bind, if you have to.. free them up by un and re-binding default ui keys. Then try and keep big cooldowns near eachother but not accidentially reachable, frequently used abilities on 1-5 etc etc. You REALLY have to do it yourself.

You don't have to bind everything at once either. You could start by just binding some things you were clicking before.

Everything at once is a bit radical. And while it worked for me a long time ago, it might not for you.

Exactly what he said. Your muscle memory will take over before long...problem is when you have to re-keybind and for a couple of matches or hours of PvE your activating the wrong ability.

I have a set layout that i use for all MMO's which i recommend you find OP, once you do this you can do it from the start of a characters life and you will be much more familiar with where certain types of skills are.

At the start your going to be all over the place but it won't take long. I also don't mean to sound rude but there's just no way a concentration sentinel could be considered "good" if they are clicking...the human delay in your brain to motor functions just to move the mouse along the bar and click would alone ruin your precision window.

Thanks for all the tips everyone :)

Ok I'll use my SW as an example

I keep all my saber moves in the 1-9 spots and all my other moves that aren't saber related underneath that.

I went into the keybinding section in options, but... how do I tell the game I want to.. let's say use Shift and A to force jump....I went to the movement set part of the keybinding too

Everything will be under the quickbar section. You put the skill in the slot and decide what that slot is. Another recommendation i could give would be treat it like reading. You read left-to-right (i presume) so have your more important cool downs to the left and least to the right. For example you dont care about the basics such as slash (they have no CD just GCD) so put them to the right, but you would care about your precision or guarded by the force coming off CD (especially in PvP lol) so you want them to the left.

I also wouldnt worry about defining what is a "saber attack" etc in terms of where they are located on the bar but focus more on priority or usage. That way (remember reading left-to-right) you can follow the skills along and your eyes can quickly look down and back up to the action.

Also, make sure you have cooldown text enabled in the options.

gamepads are just smaller keyboards which doesn't make sense as it would give you less to work with.

Gamepads are supposedly contoured so you can keybind easier by making the keys easier to reach. if that's what the pad does then it could benefit someone who has Trump hands.

You should be using your mouse to move which means either you use keys to use abilities or you stop moving whenever you use an ability.

Doing it the other way around, using the keys to move (aka Turner) and using the mouse to click abilities (aka Clicker) will ultimately limit how well you PvP.

Moving with mouse will also help you in group PvE content when it comes time to not stand in stuff.

This is why MMO mouses with 12 hotkeys exist.

Personally I like remapping my movement to ESDF - this opens up wqazxcvrtgh as easily accessible hotkeys surrounding the resting hand movement position.

Add in a MMO mouse mapping numpad fully (12 Keys) - instant primary combat/heal abilities/CC breaks primarily and then numbers 1 to = (Further distance from primary resting position lower priority abilities with initiation times as can't move and use them.

Gives you 35 hotkeys accessible without a double hold keystroke. And I strongly recommend developing a function layout in ones mind for transferability between games. I like my primary cc break here, emergency heal here, dodges here etc..... Burst Damage here spam damage here. Every game needs minor mods to your mental map but better than doing full rewrites of habit.

This is why MMO mouses with 12 hotkeys exist.

Personally I like remapping my movement to ESDF - this opens up wqazxcvrtgh as easily accessible hotkeys surrounding the resting hand movement position.

Add in a MMO mouse mapping numpad fully (12 Keys) - instant primary combat/heal abilities/CC breaks primarily and then numbers 1 to = (Further distance from primary resting position lower priority abilities with initiation times as can't move and use them.

Gives you 35 hotkeys accessible without a double hold keystroke. And I strongly recommend developing a function layout in ones mind for transferability between games. I like my primary cc break here, emergency heal here, dodges here etc..... Burst Damage here spam damage here. Every game needs minor mods to your mental map but better than doing full rewrites of habit.

I never could find a mouse with all those buttons that was comfortable for my hand to use all the keys on the mouse. End up wasting too many keys.

Also, why do you remap movement to E,S,D,F if you use the mouse for movement?

Edited by Lhancelot

Don't use mouse for movement just facing and looking often target selecting in pvp.

Getting one space away from the alt shift keys opens a world of easily accessible while moving hotkeys on a switch to ESDF. Single biggest no investment improvement I think one can make.

Sucks when gaming mice don't fit your hands. Do agree the back row is weird even with larger hands. Lower priority abilities likely not for emergency/urgency use. I find the front 6 and bottom row(4 with 2 redundant to front 6) easy and fast on them which is 8 reaction time hotkeys for me (Other 4 I'm pretty fast). First 6 on the horizontal number line are similarly instantly fast to reach(Move to esdf adds the 6 into that realm) and and additional 10 instantly fast around the moved movement keys. Thats 24 keys I can reach very fast and additional 12 in places it takes slightly more time.

Just sharing the approach that works for me. Everyone is different and some technology aka mouse size doesn't work for others. Best advice I ever got was changing to ESDF however.

Don't use mouse for movement just facing and looking often target selecting in pvp.

Getting one space away from the alt shift keys opens a world of easily accessible while moving hotkeys on a switch to ESDF. Single biggest no investment improvement I think one can make.

Sucks when gaming mice don't fit your hands. Do agree the back row is weird even with larger hands. Lower priority abilities likely not for emergency/urgency use. I find the front 6 and bottom row(4 with 2 redundant to front 6) easy and fast on them which is 8 reaction time hotkeys for me (Other 4 I'm pretty fast). First 6 on the horizontal number line are similarly instantly fast to reach(Move to esdf adds the 6 into that realm) and and additional 10 instantly fast around the moved movement keys. Thats 24 keys I can reach very fast and additional 12 in places it takes slightly more time.

Just sharing the approach that works for me. Everyone is different and some technology aka mouse size doesn't work for others. Best advice I ever got was changing to ESDF however.

That's actually very enlightening to change movement to those keys I can see how that really is a vast improvement over the regular movement keys. Thanks for the explanation of your method on binding!

I never could find a mouse with all those buttons that was comfortable for my hand to use all the keys on the mouse. End up wasting too many keys.

Also, why do you remap movement to E,S,D,F if you use the mouse for movement?

I bought the razer naga a few years ago and it was just too small and uncomfortable. Sent it back, bought the Logitech g600 and it is amazing. Not really required for the wave of "action combat" MMO's that came out such as GW2 or ESO etc (only really have 5-8 skills) but extremely useful for tab target's.

I bought the razer naga a few years ago and it was just too small and uncomfortable. Sent it back, bought the Logitech g600 and it is amazing. Not really required for the wave of "action combat" MMO's that came out such as GW2 or ESO etc (only really have 5-8 skills) but extremely useful for tab target's.

I got a new naga yesterday, and its now much bigger than the '14 model.