Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars is dying, and how the old republic can save it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Star Wars is dying, and how the old republic can save it.

t-darko
01.13.2017 , 05:00 AM | #11
IS Star Wars dying? In the sense of 'How many movies are we gonna get to see' catagory, I would say no! We're gonna get a SW movie every each or so year, so in the matter of quantity there's gonna be more SW not less.

IS it gonna lead to artistic demise, crippling creativity and stereotype storytelling? IF we take a look at what we have so far I need to say no here as well. TFA and R1 is eachothers opposites in many ways. True TFA did in most part not look like Lucas storytelling, BUT, the parts that we as Fans felt us most at home probably had parts of it reminding us of Lucas way to set the camera, for me that was most of the 'Rey on Jakku' part of the movie and inside Starkiller base. When it comes to CGI I, this is my opinion, think there was a good balance. When watching R1 I am especially pleased with the level of detail in how the OT time period is remade in a familiar way, the latest episodes of Rebels got that same level of details, look at the computer graphics on Heras instruments. As for TFA being a Retcon well any well read SW fan knew this to be the case, but I do understand those that weren't and facepalmed upon Starkiller Base and the end battle, I did the same with TPM, when they destroyed that Separatist Droid Control ship.

But yeah, there is a risk of 'thin' storytelling, yes, but that's why we have the Story Group, poor craftsmanship, that too, but so far the most obvious problem has been that the filmmakers are over optimistic and over ambitious in how much they can cram into these movies, bot TFA and R! suffered from this, especially TFA in my opinion.

As for Fan service, I say, yes please, Lucas didn't spoil us in that department. In the end it felt like quite the opposite, that Lucas did what he could to antagonize the Fan base. As for milking the SW franchise, well, that is what Lucas did as well and that without producing new content. So we're getting more content while Disney doing what corporate business is all about, well, I see nothing strange there.

So IS Star Wars Dying? Or are we as Fans just getting diversified, getting catered to in our small niches of Fandom? Of course if you don't find your own niche of Fandom in all this, then I can understand the feeling of Star Wars dying . . .

Davie_Murphy
01.13.2017 , 08:01 AM | #12
I agree with this TC, Star Wars is indeed dying. I feel like it does though, live on through the magic of SWTOR, the greater lore and our memories. So really, its just the movies that have died. TFA is one of the most lore destroying, contrived pieces of crap I have ever seen, its not a Star Wars movie, its just awful. From the terrible acting, to the terrible script, to the pathetic story and to the sickening fan service, it has killed any chance of me watching any more SW movies.

The extended story and lore with Darth Krayt etc is an excellent story and would have made for a much better narrative than what we got with TFA. And yes, like you said earlier, the Old Republic timeline and stories, not just those in the game, are also far superior.

TalonVII
01.13.2017 , 01:50 PM | #13
If Star Wars is dying, can I die like this making a pile of money?
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

SithKoriandr
01.13.2017 , 01:57 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
In this case, that's like saying McDonald's is healthy and quality food cus it's making so much money and people are going in droves to eat it.
No where near the same thing.

No where does making money mean a movie is good, but it for sure means, SW isn't dying. SW isn't dying, because people still want to see SW movies. They're going to see them. They're excited to see them.

Rogue One got good reviews and the general movie audience is happy with it.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

TalonVII
01.13.2017 , 03:58 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
No where near the same thing.

No where does making money mean a movie is good, but it for sure means, SW isn't dying. SW isn't dying, because people still want to see SW movies. They're going to see them. They're excited to see them.

Rogue One got good reviews and the general movie audience is happy with it.
It's literally a "no true scotsman" argument. Most people are quite satisfied with the way the new movies are. 7 wasn't bad, granted a rehash, but all and all I enjoyed it. Rogue 1 I thought was a blast overall, though the first 20 minutes was annoying.

But it's the TRUE star wars fans that have an issue with it.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Zhedzaban
01.13.2017 , 06:50 PM | #16
^ don't not give a rat's *** about Leia and Solo, i stopped caring about them after the original trilogy.

The stuff that is being spewed out by Disney seems like milking to me.

For me now more than ever, SW is the Old Republic ''Legends'', in its entirety, not just this game.
Could not agree more! The current iteration of Star Wars is contrived and boring. The Legends story is infinitely more interesting, with the Sith power machinations and the Republic political manoeuvring, it's like GoT in space. SWTOR for example, feels like it's written for adults, where Ep. 7 felt like it was written for older teens.
RIP APAC players, RIP West Coast Players, RIP anyone not living on the East Coast

The United Forces merger disaster, 2017

Kurj
01.13.2017 , 06:53 PM | #17
I could not disagree more. I thought TFA was an incredibly well-crafted return to the galaxy far, far away, and I'm eagerly looking forward to Episode VIII and all that is to come. I'm glad that my children will grow up with Star Wars as a living, evolving world, and I hope the same will be true for their children as well. We have so few fairy tales left, I'm grateful that we have this one. Long live Star Wars.
Begeren Colony

Elmendra | Ozeranski | Tr'sain | Kurj

Cassowen
01.13.2017 , 07:50 PM | #18
In this case, that's like saying McDonald's is healthy and quality food cus it's making so much money and people are going in droves to eat it.
lol. Thats a good analogy

Cassowen
01.13.2017 , 07:51 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
If Star Wars is dying, can I die like this making a pile of money?
Sounds like mcdonalds, or scientology. Alot of money, but dying.

TalonVII
01.13.2017 , 08:21 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedzaban View Post
Could not agree more! The current iteration of Star Wars is contrived and boring. The Legends story is infinitely more interesting, with the Sith power machinations and the Republic political manoeuvring, it's like GoT in space. SWTOR for example, feels like it's written for adults, where Ep. 7 felt like it was written for older teens.
And who do you think Disney is trying to appeal to? I mean hell the original movie, which demographic was Lucas trying to appeal to for heaven's sake? Teen to young men. Looking probably 13-35.

So no kidding Ep 7 was tailored to older teens, that's the demographic that is ripe for something like Ep7.

I swear, the people who gripe about this are some of the dumbest individuals I've ever seen, that and the most entitled.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy