Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars is dying, and how the old republic can save it.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Star Wars is dying, and how the old republic can save it.

Cassowen
01.10.2017 , 06:07 PM | #1
To me and many, star wars is simply dead. The latest movies are meirly nostalgic backlash of an era that cant seem to evolve or come to terms with its soul. So like most large entities, it uses tricks to keep itself alive even though its era is long since gone, but it keeps coming back each generation like batman or something.

I liken the current ownership of star wars to that of Scientology, or a religion. A large sucker base and lots of cash, but dying none the less.

In part I see star wars going down with how disney did the chronicles of narnia, so many dramatic stunts under the doctrine of status quo, and to many poor directing decisions that only reflect that.

There also seems to be a vast stigma against the higher creativity that george lucas had brought back into the newer trilogy, be it computer graphics, character choices, story etc. This stigma is purely superficial, written by a handful of writers who only seem to have a loud voice, but dont truly speak for as many as they seem, while sheer number of cash flow speaks for how much people really like it.

So what is selling for, the star wars title, and its icons? or the rest of the shaebang? I do think the direction of star wars needed to be taken from george lucas, given his general lack of "enthusiasm" in making new content and rather odd weakness of being so swayed by opinion.

The new direction of making a movie about han solo, and boba fett is also odd. Boba fett is vastly famous, but has had only nominal screen time in the 3 movies he is in. I also dont see why boba fett anyway given how theres so little on him outside of the EU.

And then theres han solo, harrison had been trying to kill him off since the begininng. can there really be anything that interesting to make?

In short, nostalgia is coming to an end, and it will probably be the end of the star wars franchise.

So how can the old republic save it? Its so much more vast and interesting for one. A general lack of old trilogy references and something more creative. Far better art direction.

SlthBounteHuntah
01.10.2017 , 06:59 PM | #2
Star Wars is dying? News to me.

I'll buy no more Cartel Coins, no more subscriptions.

#RemoveRNG

phalczen
01.10.2017 , 09:14 PM | #3
He must mean because
Spoiler
and because Carrie Fisher died, so Leia can't be in Ep. 9 and Han Solo was killed off in Ep. 7. Hence, Star Wars is dying.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Kaedusz
01.10.2017 , 11:25 PM | #4
^ don't not give a rat's *** about Leia and Solo, i stopped caring about them after the original trilogy.

The stuff that is being spewed out by Disney seems like milking to me.

For me now more than ever, SW is the Old Republic ''Legends'', in its entirety, not just this game.
7 days free subscription ---- > http://www.swtor.com/r/k9W2FP

Cassowen
01.10.2017 , 11:40 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
^ don't not give a rat's *** about Leia and Solo, i stopped caring about them after the original trilogy.

The stuff that is being spewed out by Disney seems like milking to me.

For me now more than ever, SW is the Old Republic ''Legends'', in its entirety, not just this game.
Oh its milking alright, its being done very wisely, but fan service milking none the less. I will be interested in how sw8 comes out, but a han and fett movie is just kind of annoying...

SithKoriandr
01.11.2017 , 11:25 AM | #6
Dying, yet making so much money! People are going in droves to see these films!

I hear such questions as "Do we need these movies?" and I ask back "Do we need any movies?"

Epi 7-9 are all taking the universe forward, there's no reason they can't film other movies showing things that happened in the past.

If I had to complain about anything, it would have been they didn't recast Leia and Luke. I don't hate the actors, but I grew up with years of EU and even though the EU was taken away, the two actors do not match how they depicted Luke and Leia growing old.

Next would be saying Han and Leia looked to basically break up. ***

Now during the time of making the future of the universe, no reason they can't also show the past of the universe. However, they would need to tread carefully imo. There was already inconsistencies made with the prequels and original trilogy.

Han had to be like 12-15 yo when the Jedi were taken down, and he doesn't believe in them, when he comes from a major planet?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Alec_Fortescue
01.11.2017 , 11:32 AM | #7
I won't buy anything that's star wars anymore. Disney is ruining the franchise and has extreme anti-fan policies and the way it's sueing people for copyright infringment is disgusting. Not to mention SWTOR not being allowed to have any ties with prequel trilogy despite many of such themes appearing in the The Old Republic timeline in the old canon as well as the movies.

valehtonen
01.12.2017 , 07:33 AM | #8
Hmm, I don't think that's quite true
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

http://www.swtor.com/r/kNdprC ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

t-darko
01.12.2017 , 08:05 AM | #9
Each to his own I guess. But however, Rogue One is 1 of the most important movies in the franchise after the OT and PTs, for the simple reason that it fills the most obvious plot hole in the OTs AND cinematic history. Sure we can debate the execution of the movie, Good or Bad, but the necessity of the movie is in my mind undebatable.

When it comes to George Lucas status as a movie telling wiz kid from the seventies and eighties and a groundbreaking cinematic innovator/visionary AND franchise selling manager( e a how to milk the most possible revenue out of a movie/s, I wouldn't say Lucas invented it, but he refined it into a unbelievable level!!), well, that I would argue to be equally undebatable.

As a Star Wars fan watching and experience the movies is just 1 aspect of the Fandom; To discuss what is being told and how is another very important part of it as well as the speculation on those issues. And yes we could argue the EU up to an eternity, but G-, C-, D- etc, etc ,etc Canon good riddance I say. We now got a new aspect in the speculation area thanks to EU being made Legend.

But as said; Each to his own, I for one ain't gonna leave a lifelong Fandom, even if I was given a very good reason in '83 by the fake fur gummi bears, or in '99 by a questionable obnoxious amphibian and a so fugly ugly Yoda puppet that was a mockery of the original from the OTs. The list could be very long but to be a Star Wars Fan is like being a Cleveland Indians Fan in some aspects espesscially in the wait for "The" Star Wars movie . . .

Kaedusz
01.12.2017 , 11:38 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Dying, yet making so much money! People are going in droves to see these films!
In this case, that's like saying McDonald's is healthy and quality food cus it's making so much money and people are going in droves to eat it.
7 days free subscription ---- > http://www.swtor.com/r/k9W2FP