Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So... Whats next? The Future of SWTOR...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So... Whats next? The Future of SWTOR...

TUXs
01.03.2018 , 02:42 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by ExarSun View Post
Sorry my friend, but do you think what happened to this game is proof for a strong business sense? Total decline of everything and inability or desire to invest somewhat in something that is popular, now even more with regular movies coming out. Flopping a game like SWBF 2...and here....having a total drought of content or advertising or anything actually when even maintenance mode LOTRO is putting huge expansions...Sorry but EA is famous for the complete reverse thing - absolutely no sense of keeping lasting business, only squeezing what they can by microtransactions and the bare minimum of efforts as far as content goes. And they should be called out for it - in SWBF 2, in here, everywhere...
They even went as far as to massacre one of the best and most famous sci-fi IPs in the face of Mass Effect. I absolutely have no faith in them. Incompetence + greed...this is what EA represent, Blizzard when it comes to WoW - don't. You see I am not mad at the people that do daily work on this game...I am mad at the people deciding the future of it, the funding of it. Because they brought us to all-time low.
I fully agree SW fans are more unforgiving than WoW...but that is not all negative thing.
I could not agree more!!! Great post!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Mournblood
01.03.2018 , 02:52 PM | #72
Incompetence + greed...this is what EA represent, Blizzard when it comes to WoW - don't. You see I am not mad at the people that do daily work on this game...I am mad at the people deciding the future of it, the funding of it. Because they brought us to all-time low.
I agree with you, but let's not forget that it was Bioware execs who decided to sell the soul of their company to the devil to make themselves rich - EA didn't force them to sell. And while EA deserves every bit of the bad reputation that it has, game conglomerates like NCSoft are even more malignant and amoral. So it could be worse, but had Bioware not sold out to EA, I think this game would have ultimately been better off for it.
Mourne, Executor, Grim Determination (SS)

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational guild!"

Costello
01.03.2018 , 02:59 PM | #73
As far as creative freedom goes look at Rogue One or Rebels.

Both have a hell of a lot less freedom than this game in what they can do and both did far better with telling stories. Because they knew what they were doing and made it work. 20 Years to Complete a Death Star, that is one hell of a hard sell but they did it, create the ultimate weapon in the galaxy yet know that it wont be tested in full power till episode 4, they managed that too. Rebels decided to tell the story of one rebel cell and that way they could tell their story in one sector and it wouldn't have to be galaxy changing events that don't seem to be mentioned in the original movies.

But if your going to say the entire galaxy is going to be conquered by an empire and invincible fleet that no one has ever heard of or will ever hear of again then you are going to have issues. If you then don't have the budget to update the galaxy or tell a galaxy spanning war and instead focus on 4 planets then you have to ask why make it galaxy spanning war. Many stories manage to take place on one planet alone or one sector of space. So really any creative issues are solely based on decisions made by the creative team and to suggest that EA or Disney is the cause is just an excuse. You can tell amazing detailed personal stories without having to rip up the state of the galaxy or introduce invincible fleets to do it. But if you do then sure you will run into issues with how it doesn't fit with the wider scope but thats no doubt in part why the game is not cannon and fan fiction as far as disney are concerned.

ExarSun
01.03.2018 , 02:59 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Jesseriah View Post
As much as i love SW and my chars and so on but the saddest thing is that this is the truth.
I guess EA thinks "okay, they love SW so no matter what we can do what we want".
It is exactly what they think...but as the backlash about SWBF 2 shown, SW fans wont go down easily to some corporate greed and short-sightedness. Sad when you think about it...what the gaming industry has become. Simpletons thinking they can make wow killers without supporting them with content the way Blizzard supports WoW, regardless of the population issues their game has...because oh yeah...every MMO suffers from those...but i guess making simple sport games is all EA can do. They should stay away from studios and games that thrive with great story and characters...again stupidly assuming that microtransactions and minimal efforts for some multiplayer aspects of a game is enough to keep up with the best on the market. CDPR says otherwise. Blizzard says otherwise. ESO says otherwise....To have the grand IP of star wars...on the rise...with new fans...movies and to not take advantage of this...this is crime....a crime.
Last week I went to check out what is happening to a forgotten mmo juggernaut from the past i spend many years playing - Lineage 2...to my surprise they are actively working and putting out an expansion. Imagine how baffled I was. A game with no more than 5000 players in the official servers.
As I said - incompetence and greed.

Jesseriah
01.03.2018 , 03:02 PM | #75
I hope Blizzard buys the licence 2022 so the game can have a real chance :P
Use this Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/8gTtm9 for FREE Charaktertransfer and more!

ExarSun
01.03.2018 , 03:07 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
I agree with you, but let's not forget that it was Bioware execs who decided to sell the soul of their company to the devil to make themselves rich - EA didn't force them to sell. And while EA deserves every bit of the bad reputation that it has, game conglomerates like NCSoft are even more malignant and amoral. So it could be worse, but had Bioware not sold out to EA, I think this game would have ultimately been better off for it.
While I agree about NCSoft (p2w and bot infested, buggy unbalanced games)...looking at the state of SWTOR for the last year only...I'd say they are better than EA at properly piloting a MMO as far as content support goes. It is worse than that statement actually...even old and lot less popular MMOs put more content than what we had for 2017 here.

As for Bioware and selling to EA, we are at an agreement here, but there isn't anything left of Bioware, its all EA that decides for this game, so naturally my posts are pointing to them. I also think this game would have been better had EA weren't a part of the picture...but its too late to do anything about that...the only thing we can do is call EA out for their crimes towards the sw fans as a community and this game. Seems a little far-fetched and harsh saying it like that, but what else we can do....be content with scraps we are getting, which turns even more people away. It prolly is futile, because you cant reach generally blind and greedy people, but giving up and go with the flow doesn't seem the right way to me.

Galahard
01.03.2018 , 05:26 PM | #77
Well, I for one cannot blame the devs not posting on the forums.
Who wants to be the scapegoat that he says something is planned and when it's axed by the higher powers at EA, they called a liar and more for it?

Better be safe than sorry.

The only person who has talking power with the EA Hutts is Keith, and only he has the authority to say something.
But even that, that should be treated with a grain of salt. Not because of willingness to execute, more like inability, see 5 bosses by the end of year. Well, just don't promise anything, I guess it's better to be pleasantly surprised.
Your lack of intelligence is insulting (SCORPIO).

Mournblood
01.03.2018 , 08:29 PM | #78
While I agree about NCSoft (p2w and bot infested, buggy unbalanced games)...looking at the state of SWTOR for the last year only...I'd say they are better than EA at properly piloting a MMO as far as content support goes. It is worse than that statement actually...even old and lot less popular MMOs put more content than what we had for 2017 here.
EA's problem is that they are only interested in the almighty dollar. They don't make games for the sake of the players, or the art, or the industry in general. Their only purpose is to assimilate smaller companies and to make money - they are like the Borg of the gaming industry. Their greed has led to a lot of bad decisions based on money to the detriment of game development and players, as we all know too well, and the principal reason why they have such a bad reputation.

NCSoft, on the other hand, goes a step further. As greedy as EA can be, they have never resorted to "stealing" an IP. NCSoft did this with a game called "Tabula Rasa". You can Google/Wiki it if you want to read the sordid details, but basically, they liquidated the game designer's (Richard Garriott) stock options while he was in quarantine from space travel with Russian cosmonauts. NCSoft claimed he had quit when in reality, he hadn't, but couldn't refute that because he was in quarantine. The resulting litigation (which Garriott won in the amount of $28 million) forced NCSoft to close the servers, and the players were SoL. Regardless of how much more content NCSoft games might deliver, EA has never pulled a stunt like that to my knowledge.

So yeah, NCSoft is far worse than EA, imo.
Mourne, Executor, Grim Determination (SS)

"Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational guild!"

olagatonjedi
01.03.2018 , 08:40 PM | #79
EA has been in control the entire time from launch. If they had, and continue to have an identity of simply seeking dollar bills, and it was truly a problem, people wouldnt have even subbed in the first place. It wasnt, and millions subbed, and found out over 6 years that what they signed up for is exactly what they got. You cant fault EA for sticking to what it knows. To my knowledge, they have never changed course from trying to make money (like any good business does). If anything, appreciate that they have remained consistent with their initial role.

KoptaThommy
01.25.2018 , 04:51 PM | #80
I got also, fear what happend with BIOWARE itself not only SWTOR, today i read some article about, ANTHEM.
There was how difficult is devolpment, and huge expectations from that game, and how EA press on Bioware to come with game at early 2019 (FALL 2018 isnt possible and never was even when they told on E3 ). So as i read articles, ive noticed few points about future they mentioned also Dragon Age 4 and continue of this series. Also mentioned another great expected game ME:Andromeda and how negative impact had on fanbase and game itself.
But then i coulndt unnoticed.. there was also Topic about future of SW:TOR and ALSO IF STOP DEVELPOMENT THAT GAME OR NOT, and its still in motion, and EA/Bioware didnt make decision yet.. so im realy affraid now, because its true game had lot of problems, F2P , etc but game is awsome.. and now , its possibility that it may be canceled..
They in fact put all into ANTHEM, and there were some talk , if ANTHEM fails as Andromeda did , it could even come to end of Bioware itself, because due Andromeda failure they closed two Bioware studios..

I hope it wont happend.. but .. we know what happend to SW:Galaxies..