Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Healer's Pet Peeve about Kolto Stations

Kyuuu
12.29.2016 , 04:31 PM | #21
you be surprised how many people dont understand, how kotlo stations work.

The only person that should be running to the kolto stations is the person closest to death IE 20% of health left, that way kotlo stations do the most healing. seeing the health it restore to person getting it and how much the group get restored is based on how little hp the person getting it has left.

Zerileth
01.03.2017 , 02:57 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuuu View Post
you be surprised how many people dont understand, how kotlo stations work.

The only person that should be running to the kolto stations is the person closest to death IE 20% of health left, that way kotlo stations do the most healing. seeing the health it restore to person getting it and how much the group get restored is based on how little hp the person getting it has left.
True, but the problem is there's a fine line sometimes when a dying player is so engaged in the boss/mob and you have to decide whether to go hit the tank for him or wait for him to realize it which may be too late. I've been yelled at by another player that was at 5% health ( we had no healer) and I started to run for the tank to help him. I didn't see he was right behind me and so I hit the K tank and he died from a DOT.

So quickie story: Uprising (the Frost one) and I'm on my commando healer. It was story mode so it wasn't like I was worried. But we started the narrow cave fight and one of the dps hits the tank before we start. I had everyone to full health. Well it's my understanding the tanks don't respawn in Uprisings. Nobody's health dropped below 85% so no biggie. Get to the open area and start the fight and one of the dps heads for the K tank again at the beginning of the fight. Everyone was topped off. Why? Whatever.

Finally get to the walker. Someone's health drops 10%. No biggie. Go to heal them and a dps hits k tank. Halfway through walker fight, another k tank hit. Nobody below 90% health. So I finally type: "hey guys, let's save the tanks in case we really need them." I believe someone hits the final k tank ( I think it was final) almost out of maliciousness or so it seemed. So walker goes down and we start final boss. One of the dps drops to 80% health and starts running for the K tanks. Can't find one. In that split second I figure, since I took the video game Hippocratic Oath as a healer, I'll heal them up but oh how i didn't want to!!!!
No annoying, begging, misguiding referral link here

psandak
01.03.2017 , 03:43 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by PippiLangstrump View Post
It is the glowing effect that they want to click on it for the most part.

My bigger peave is when there is none and the 3 dps i am trying to heal run 3 different directions.
OMG this.

The other day in the Hoth Uprising that last boss has a rock in the middle that creates LOS issues and OMG I thought I was going to go insane. Yes there is the mass quantities of targeted AOE, but one does not need to run around like a headless chicken to avoid them

Quote: Originally Posted by Iffyluse View Post
Healer in Veteran FP's is required when clearing trash mobs on the way to the boss, in bossfights it's better to be dpsing the boss while popping the kolto stations. Makes it go quicker.
But then you have the Colonel in Maelstrom Prison...takes half your health in one shot, but that's all he does. three dps see one take that damage and they all run to Kolto all clicking and then the next time it happens there's no kolto. In a run I did recently, I had to explicitly tell the group, "Only the one that gets hit should get kolto" They did not listen and the group died except me - the healer - two left the group and I soloed him down from ~40% Dotting and hiding.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

rebeldielan
08.27.2017 , 10:41 PM | #24
I noticed as dps that kolto stations allows to draw attention from bosses, as an aggro machine.
When a healer is in the group and I use it there are 2 reasons for it:

1) I'm too low and I don't want to risk it
2) I'm trying to off-tank, even when i'm a sentinel/marauder or sniper/gunslinger.

Not many people know how to tank or can keep the boss on themselves. This lead to bosses switching targets constantly.

So if I'm one of those people you encounter as a healer that uses it even when its not needed, I apologize.

Either way, in HS people use it cause you can then just stand in the sweeping fire and burn through the boss without any problem.

KendraP
08.28.2017 , 12:14 AM | #25
And then there are the times i've been tanking without a healer and have to run to kolto stations and tank and then get yelled at for moving the boss. either click the station or expect the boss to move with me people.

SourOrange
08.28.2017 , 03:00 PM | #26
I play a lot of healers and a lot of tanks, I like playing supportive and protective roles in games because it makes me feel like I offer a good service to my fellow players. But frankly I don't care at all when people use the kolto stations. They're only present in certain areas, and sometimes it's really helpful for people to take the initiative to use them on their own so I don't have to scramble for them if things are going sideways.

I've also played as DPS, and it peeves me in return when I'm getting below 50% on health so I use the kolto and the healer tells me to mind my role. The kolto stations are there for everyone to use as needed. If they were healer-specific, no one but the appointed healer would be able to use them. But they're not.

You don't need to get offended when people use the kolto stations on a boss fight. You'll be pulling your weight healing them the rest of the time as it is, and if everyone is topped off you can use that time to do a bit of DPS yourself to make the fight a little faster. SWTOR's "dungeon" finder is unique in the fact that a group can be comprised of any combination of classes/roles- its group makeup isn't set in stone, and each group can have a monumentally different set of needs/approaches/etiquettes based on who's in it.

All roles can be expected to heal/tank/dps regardless of what they queued as, in certain situations, so I don't think it's fair to bemoan people for using the kolto stations- I think it's less that they don't trust you, and more that they are trying to assist and make the flashpoint go as smoothly as possible regardless of what class they are or what group they're in.

JediAkemi
08.28.2017 , 03:15 PM | #27
If we don't have a healer, I try to assign a ranged dps kolto duty (so they can park next to one and don't have to move in order to activate it).

If I'm healing, I will try to remind the team that healing is my responsibility and that I will hit the kolto if my regular healing isn't enough... doesn't always stop panic clicks, but c'est la vie.

Kyuuu
08.28.2017 , 03:58 PM | #28
my pet peeve about them is sheer amount people that been play the game for years that have no clue how they work....

Kolta stations are wasted if person with 90% of there health gets it vs person with 25% health get is the less person health is the more HP the station will restore, last i checked

JediAkemi
08.28.2017 , 04:40 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuuu View Post
my pet peeve about them is sheer amount people that been play the game for years that have no clue how they work....

Kolta stations are wasted if person with 90% of there health gets it vs person with 25% health get is the less person health is the more HP the station will restore, last i checked
Clicker gets the most (if memory serves) but the whole group gets a lot of health back. They're a good safety net if there's no actual healer in the group, but often completely unnecessary in a halfway decent trinity group.

darkapprentice
08.31.2017 , 06:05 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by JediAkemi View Post
Clicker gets the most (if memory serves) but the whole group gets a lot of health back. They're a good safety net if there's no actual healer in the group, but often completely unnecessary in a halfway decent trinity group.
Correct. The clicker gets a large instant heal and maybe some heal over time while the others get just the heal over time which is generally why I don't do it myself if someone gets low.

One thing I've noticed lately is some are completely unaware of who else is running to Kolto and sometimes someone in my group will go for the same one I am when I need it badly and they don't need it at all. I usually get enough back to where I'm ok but that's not always the case.

I think some people assume the Kolto stations are the healers job but anyone can click on them, not just the healers. I recall a particular FP, let's call it Kuat, and a particular Boss fight, let's call it the Jedi. I was on an Op and we had three other DPS and somehow we just kept wiping 3 or 4 times. I decided to swap to heals to help out and one group member says for a lower-health player not to hit the Kolto which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I believe that person is one of those that assumes the Statiosn are the healer's responsibility which would be the only logical reason he/she called me a bad healer despite one-shotting the boss after I switched.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tralan View Post
maybe your taking this too personal? maybe they are doing it to make your job easier and let you concentrate on the tank? played lots mmo's and its always good practice to make the healers job as easy as possible
That's a good point, but if the healer is fully capable of keeping everyone's health up or the fight isn't that difficult, it's not necessary to hit them so often to the point of making the healer's job completely pointless. I've been in groups like that as a healer so I just start DPSing when things like that happen but I still watch their health.
Eclipse Vet (Sarah'Skye/Kara') Pre-CU TKA/Master Doc.
<RRR> Member. Ex member of <-A-> and Musica
Chim: Kyera and Sarah' Ex Member of SoS (Sisters of Serenity)