Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it me, or is TOR era far more powerful than anything in the movies era?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is it me, or is TOR era far more powerful than anything in the movies era?

DeltaBos
12.18.2016 , 09:28 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by fishpeople View Post
Maybe they had too much peace? With no threat to the Jedi later on they saw no need to become more powerful.
This. EXACTLY this. People seem to forgot that at the time of the movies, the Jedi and Sith hadn't been at war for 1000 years. There was no conflict for 1000 years and for the most part, force users sort of lost their touch. In this era, there's war every few decades, and it's kill or be killed. Force users are typically more powerful in this era because they have to be. There are so many more force users and so much more conflict that the Jedi and Sith are forced to be stronger.
Query: Is there someone that you need killed master?

Wolfninjajedi
12.18.2016 , 11:37 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Well for one you're comparing a set of movies which try to tell a story, to a game where it's all about having fun and becoming more powerful. Especially the expansions as it's just one giant telling of who has more power and that's....pretty much it.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

cool-dude
12.23.2016 , 02:31 AM | #13
Plagueis successfully created a human being from the force. I don't recall any old republic person doing that.
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"

adormitul
12.23.2016 , 09:50 AM | #14
How where the children of the emperor created again?

Paulsutherland
12.23.2016 , 10:43 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by adormitul View Post
When the Emperor and his lady get into the right frame of mind, they perform a series of manoeuvres ... and boom ... done.

Sanity on: Weren't they taken to the Emperor for some form of mind control ritual or something?

cool-dude
12.23.2016 , 11:52 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by adormitul View Post
They were ordinary children taken to the Emperor to have some ritual performed on them, so that they could be used as hosts.
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"

adormitul
12.23.2016 , 05:41 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
When the Emperor and his lady get into the right frame of mind, they perform a series of manoeuvres ... and boom ... done.

Sanity on: Weren't they taken to the Emperor for some form of mind control ritual or something?
Where they now? It seems they might have been his actual children and that is strange since he was in another body not his and yet it happened all of them where force sensitive and all powerful force users. Some stronger then others but all force users.

Kaisernick
12.24.2016 , 02:10 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by mrdrsenorpeanut View Post
I love the OId Republic and I love the movies, but I was watching the movies, prequels and sequels, and I just find myself in awe, like watching Yoda fight Dooku, like they're a bunch of weaklings. Dooku pulls a few pebbles from the ceiling and Yoda is all "powerful you have become" but that's like apprentice level stuff in TOR. Like, if this Jedi Order had to fight Vitiate/Valkorion, they'd be destroyed in seconds. What reason is there that the older Sith are so much more powerful than those who come after them? Like there honestly is no comparison AT ALL.
And yet we are to believe the all powerful Valkorian can be beaten by a solider a spy a hunter or a smuggler?
http://www.swtor.com/r/XRHgLz Referral Link
Quote:
ok ok i get it i made a typo, can we let it go.
Quote:
Nope, this is the Internet, outside of worshiping cats, making fun of grammatical mistakes is our most beloved pastime

IIITheNine
12.31.2016 , 10:59 AM | #19
I think that it is all myths. The Old Republic story is being told through the lens of history and myth. This tends to amplify the powers, the effects and the visuals because that's what happens when stories are retold. It is more interesting when the Sith can throw around tons of lightning, the Jedi can throw massive boulders and one lone bounty hunter can take on an army on his own with his rocket launcher and flame throwers that can shoot flame 100 feet across.

These things probably only happened very rarely and were massive feats that were hard to replicate, but it helped create the myths of this time and these wars and that's what stuck around.

PanVlk
12.31.2016 , 03:59 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by mrdrsenorpeanut View Post
I love the OId Republic and I love the movies, but I was watching the movies, prequels and sequels, and I just find myself in awe, like watching Yoda fight Dooku, like they're a bunch of weaklings. Dooku pulls a few pebbles from the ceiling and Yoda is all "powerful you have become" but that's like apprentice level stuff in TOR. Like, if this Jedi Order had to fight Vitiate/Valkorion, they'd be destroyed in seconds. What reason is there that the older Sith are so much more powerful than those who come after them? Like there honestly is no comparison AT ALL.
This isn't just about Old Republic era, but about the expanded universe overall. The comics, books, videogames and other EU materials involved large amount of writers of varying quality, who were trying to make their stories to stand out by making their heroes and villains ridiculously powerful.

So while in movies the strongest Sith Lord has creepy voice and can shoot some weak nonlethal lightning, in expanded universe materials the strongest Sith Lords can consume all life on planets and do sh*t like that. It's just a consequence of little control from IP holder over the quality and consistency of the universe materials.
If you click here, you will get free glitterstim and death sticks to last all night. Promise.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Vk39XN