Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Make Shroud of Memory Available for Everyone

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Make Shroud of Memory Available for Everyone

Soul_of_Flames
12.18.2016 , 09:59 AM | #21
Here's the thing: It was advertised as having requirements. You don't meet the requirements, you don't get the content. Period.

Personally, while I did qualify for this content, I'm not really a fan of this sort of stuff. Now, this is single player only content with a cool companion to boot, so it's ok in that regard. If it was multiplayer based content though, then it would have been a major problem.

My biggest issue with the reward was the requirement for being continuously subbed between two dates. If your sub lapsed for any reason other than intended, you'd be out of luck and it wouldn't really be your fault especially when you had intended to stay subbed.

Now, I know it would be the person's fault for not keeping up to date with their own sub, but I think that's a little bit too much to ask considering it's merely a game to play as a hobby. People shouldn't need to micromanage their subscription status just so they can insure they get game content.

On that subject, however, why isn't there a way to manage your sub in game? Or even just a menu saying "You have X amount of days remaining in your subscription?" Or, even better, an in game mail when you're about 1 or 2 weeks away from your sub ending.

Galahard
12.18.2016 , 10:13 AM | #22
As much as I am against restricted and one time rewards this is as simple as it gets: NO!
Why?
There are two groups here:
1. The ones that paid the $$$ to qualify for the promotion, they got what was promised, fair and square.
2. The ones that did not pay the $$$ and did not qualify for the promotion.
Now, how do you think group 1 would feel if the promotion prizes were freely made available to group 2?
Why would you, as a customer, who DID NOT meet the PRE-ANNOUNCED conditions of the promotion (group 2) have a bigger say in this, rather than those who HAVE PAID THE PRICE IN $$$ for qualifying for the promotion.

What do you think the size of group 1 would be in the next such promotion like this?
You guessed it, exaclty 0, nada.
Why? Who would want to pay $$$ for stuff if they can get it the easy way later?

So, sorry, but it's as simple as that, you gotta have to put your money where your mouth is.
Now you didn't, so grow up and live with the consequences.
Your lack of intelligence is insulting (SCORPIO).

CloudCastle
12.18.2016 , 10:18 AM | #23
You know, I'm going to broach an unpopular opinion here and say that I don't agree with how BW handled this. Shroud of Memory is a great chapter and ZO-OM is quickly becoming one of my favorite companions. But as time passes, fewer and fewer people will be running this chapter and getting to see it. In fact, the number of people who can run it was a fixed amount the day it came out, and no new people will ever be added. This means that BW went and put resources into a chapter that many players will never get to see, and that feels wasteful to me.

Cosmetic rewards? Fine. Make those sub rewards. But actually playable content should never be gated like this.

CrazyCT
12.18.2016 , 10:25 AM | #24
Nah, makes good business sense. Make the best content for long term subscriptions, if you want to play the next one, you'll have to stay subbed for a 6 month block.

It's called "incentive".
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

Galahard
12.18.2016 , 10:31 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Soul_of_Flames View Post
Now, I know it would be the person's fault for not keeping up to date with their own sub, but I think that's a little bit too much to ask considering it's merely a game to play as a hobby. People shouldn't need to micromanage their subscription status just so they can insure they get game content.
I will go out on a limb and ask, because I am really curious:
If someone REALLY wants that content (provided!), how hard is it to keep up a re-occuring subscription?
I am assuming an adult with a credit card.
Credit cards are valid usually for 3 years, so you have to 'manage' your sub every 3 years.
The game is exactly 5 years old, so if you subbed, you had to 'manage' your sub a maximum of twice (maybe only once).

Soul_of_Flames
12.18.2016 , 10:37 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Galahard View Post
I will go out on a limb and ask, because I am really curious:
If someone REALLY wants that content (provided!), how hard is it to keep up a re-occuring subscription?
I am assuming an adult with a credit card.
Credit cards are valid usually for 3 years, so you have to 'manage' your sub every 3 years.
The game is exactly 5 years old, so if you subbed, you had to 'manage' your sub a maximum of twice (maybe only once).
For me, it's more difficult. I don't use a credit card but a prepaid card (similar to a gift card but not). I also don't sub for the entire year.

So, not only do I need to keep track of my sub dates and expiration dates every 3 or 6 months (I forget what my plan is atm), but I also need to make sure that I have enough money on my card to cover the automatic renewal. To put money on the card, I need to physically go to a store to do it in person (meaning if I log in one day to see my sub expired... I might be out of luck until the next day when I can go to the store and reload my card). Put that on top of the maintenance fees that card deducts every month... it's a hassle to have to keep track of it just for some stupid reward.

I'm playing the game to have fun, not to manage finances.

Neshira
12.18.2016 , 10:52 AM | #27
Absolutely not.
We didn't earn that reward so we are not entitled to it. Deal with it.
My Referral Link <Click for a 7 day free subscription and some awesome goodies including a free character server transfer worth 10 bucks and tons of unlocks to make playing preferred more bearable.

Galahard
12.18.2016 , 10:53 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Soul_of_Flames View Post
For me, it's more difficult. I don't use a credit card but a prepaid card (similar to a gift card but not). I also don't sub for the entire year.

So, not only do I need to keep track of my sub dates and expiration dates every 3 or 6 months (I forget what my plan is atm), but I also need to make sure that I have enough money on my card to cover the automatic renewal. To put money on the card, I need to physically go to a store to do it in person (meaning if I log in one day to see my sub expired... I might be out of luck until the next day when I can go to the store and reload my card). Put that on top of the maintenance fees that card deducts every month... it's a hassle to have to keep track of it just for some stupid reward.

I'm playing the game to have fun, not to manage finances.
Well, sorry to hear it's so 'hard' for you.
But isn't it the same with everything in life?
I think it's simple, if you care enough for the content, you are willing to put the extra effort in, if you are not willing, you didn't care for the content in the first place.
Just like 'real life' (if anyone remembers what that is), what you put into it, is what you get out of it.

OfficerDonNZ
12.18.2016 , 11:35 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
You know, I'm going to broach an unpopular opinion here and say that I don't agree with how BW handled this. Shroud of Memory is a great chapter and ZO-OM is quickly becoming one of my favorite companions. But as time passes, fewer and fewer people will be running this chapter and getting to see it. In fact, the number of people who can run it was a fixed amount the day it came out, and no new people will ever be added. This means that BW went and put resources into a chapter that many players will never get to see, and that feels wasteful to me.

Cosmetic rewards? Fine. Make those sub rewards. But actually playable content should never be gated like this.
So much this. BWA's decision making process and dare I say it business sense is seriously flawed. But then again what do we plebs who play the game know?
"Korriban’s a rock, mind the Sith." -Jolee Bindo.

MollyDresden
12.18.2016 , 12:42 PM | #30
I really don't care about not getting the bonus chapter. Sure, it'd be nice to have, but since you're always playing HK in it, there's really no difference between playing it myself and watching it on youtube.

I do, however, want to get HK back as a companion. I didn't play the KotFE content until just before 5.0, so I wasn't even familiar with the character during the time required to be subbed to get him. What annoys me is that we're given him as a companion, he's integrated into the story, we get to know him, then he's taken from us, only for us to be told that we'll never ever get him back because we weren't subbed during the period of time necessary to re-acquire him. This isn't some bonus character. This is a character who's integral to the story, who we are led at first to believe will be a new companion for us. Then he's yanked away from us with no recourse. That really irritates me.

I'd happily trade all access I have to Niko and Shae (who are totally superfluous, non-story characters) to get HK-55 back alive and well.