Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Make Shroud of Memory Available for Everyone

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Make Shroud of Memory Available for Everyone

Eriias's Avatar


Eriias
12.17.2016 , 03:24 AM | #1
I'm frankly rather upset that this content is arbitrarily unavailable because I wasn't a subscriber for that entire timeframe. I was a subscriber from March-July this year and recently restarted my subscription to play again. I was also a subscriber before that for many years--I was a founder and in the intervening 5 years have been paying Bioware more months than not. So why on earth is it that, even though I am yet again paying for this game, I am not allowed to play this mission?

This feels like a betrayal after having played this game for so long. I took a break for personal reasons and just for that this whole story mission is completely unavailable? Why? An event is understandable, but this is part of a single-player storyline. It'd be frustrating enough if I had to pay extra like on the Cartel Market to access it after that time, but to make it not available at all? This just seems ridiculous and almost antagonistic. Why am I locked out of this bit of the story because I had a hard semester in college and needed to stop playing for a while? In what other game would that be the case? This makes no sense.

CrazyCT's Avatar


CrazyCT
12.17.2016 , 03:41 AM | #2
A betrayal? You mean like the people who brazenly came on the forums, boasting that they were just going to unsubscribe all through KotFE, and only sub for the last month to get the full story? And now they come back, begging for all the rewards that were given to the loyal ones who stuck around, because "it's not fair"?

As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it.
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

dr_mike's Avatar


dr_mike
12.17.2016 , 08:47 AM | #3
Just a fyi, you're not going to get a positive response from folks on this one. Seems like many folks feel that restricted content is done with a purpose and shouldn't be given to folks who did not qualify.

There have been a couple one shot events previously in this game.
Who knows what lurks in the minds of those crazy Sith....
1% gets donated to unemployed Jawas living on Hoth

JPryde's Avatar


JPryde
12.17.2016 , 09:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Eriias View Post
This feels like a betrayal....
How exactly were you betrayed as in something that was promised to you, was not given to you? You did not qualify for the reward, so you do not get it, quite simple.

Would you also call it a betrayal, that I am not getting the 100% DvL rewards, simply because I did not make 100% of the achievements.. and I was fully subscribed during that time.

With the logic of "was subscriber before, so I should get it all", you can easily demand to get everything at all times. Same for the 5th aniversary gift.. It is given to all people there were subscribed for THE WHOLE time. I was subsribed as founder and am still subscribed, but I took two breaks in between... And I am not complaining, as I am not qwualified for the reward, simple as that.

(besides, the shroud of memory story is hardly worth a fuzz)
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
T3-M4
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Monumenta's Avatar


Monumenta
12.17.2016 , 10:30 AM | #5
I have all the bonus stuff for KOTET, creating game content that is forever locked away from large parts of the players is a horrible idea and should never be done again and Shroud of Memory should be playable by everyone somehow.

That betrayal bit in the op is very melodramatic and silly.

RagnarAugustus's Avatar


RagnarAugustus
12.17.2016 , 12:59 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Monumenta View Post
I have all the bonus stuff for KOTET, creating game content that is forever locked away from large parts of the players is a horrible idea and should never be done again and Shroud of Memory should be playable by everyone somehow.

That betrayal bit in the op is very melodramatic and silly.
No it should not, Bioware clearly articulated the terms under which the player base would be able to access the Shroud of memory. It was their choice whether they wanted to be continuously subscribed during that period. The affected players made their choice and the inevitable result of not being able to play the content promised to those who met the standard is the end state.

Bioware will never backtrack on subscriber rewards because it sets a bad precedence if the player base sees that rewards will be available regardless of meeting the standards. The EA finance guys want long term recurring subs, it helps their bottom line and makes their investors happy so nothing that would deter recurring subs like giving subscriber rewards after the fact will ever happen.

Toraak's Avatar


Toraak
12.17.2016 , 01:15 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Eriias View Post
I'm frankly rather upset that this content is arbitrarily unavailable because I wasn't a subscriber for that entire timeframe. I was a subscriber from March-July this year and recently restarted my subscription to play again. I was also a subscriber before that for many years--I was a founder and in the intervening 5 years have been paying Bioware more months than not. So why on earth is it that, even though I am yet again paying for this game, I am not allowed to play this mission?

This feels like a betrayal after having played this game for so long. I took a break for personal reasons and just for that this whole story mission is completely unavailable? Why? An event is understandable, but this is part of a single-player storyline. It'd be frustrating enough if I had to pay extra like on the Cartel Market to access it after that time, but to make it not available at all? This just seems ridiculous and almost antagonistic. Why am I locked out of this bit of the story because I had a hard semester in college and needed to stop playing for a while? In what other game would that be the case? This makes no sense.
Afraid you are mistaken. You are not entitled to get that content. It was announced ahead of time as a SUBSCRIBER REWARD for subscribing from Date X - date Y. if you failed to be a subscriber for the entire time of that, that is on you, not BW. They did not betray you one bit. They did not lie to you and say you would get access after so many months. They said you had to Subscribe for the entire time between those dates. You OP did not fulfill the requirements to get Shroud of Memory, so you did not get it. That is how it should be. BW should never (and have never so far) changed subscriber rewards to give out at a later date.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

dxlolman's Avatar


dxlolman
12.17.2016 , 02:38 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Toraak View Post
Afraid you are mistaken. You are not entitled to get that content. It was announced ahead of time as a SUBSCRIBER REWARD for subscribing from Date X - date Y. if you failed to be a subscriber for the entire time of that, that is on you, not BW. They did not betray you one bit. They did not lie to you and say you would get access after so many months. They said you had to Subscribe for the entire time between those dates. You OP did not fulfill the requirements to get Shroud of Memory, so you did not get it. That is how it should be. BW should never (and have never so far) changed subscriber rewards to give out at a later date.
Agreed but they could give them away for cc and I mean the actual amount.
Like all of the HK-55 rewards should go for about 10000cc (7months worth of paid cc's as you needed to be sub during the rewards program during Jan-July) and to those that have unlocked it with out cc but by subbing on the dates should get 7500-10000cc back and the rewards for free.
I mean that would make people more and less happy which is perfectly balanced.
And the other subcriber unlocks and pre order bonuses cost on how much it's been out (1 time for 1 months worth of cc)
Ether this post will
A. Stop these requests to release exclusive rewards and items to the people who don't have them
Or
B. The exclusive rewards gainers will get a large recompensation for being a loyal customer.
What does the DX in my name stand for?
Warning clicking on link will give you referral not an answer.
if you do accept referral, side effects may include: free stuff. Consult your doctor or professional if referral is right for you.

PiiTarr's Avatar


PiiTarr
12.17.2016 , 02:56 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by dxlolman View Post
Agreed but they could give them away for cc and I mean the actual amount.
Like all of the HK-55 rewards should go for about 10000cc (7months worth of paid cc's as you needed to be sub during the rewards program during Jan-July) and to those that have unlocked it with out cc but by subbing on the dates should get 7500-10000cc back and the rewards for free.
I mean that would make people more and less happy which is perfectly balanced.
And the other subcriber unlocks and pre order bonuses cost on how much it's been out (1 time for 1 months worth of cc)
Ether this post will
A. Stop these requests to release exclusive rewards and items to the people who don't have them
Or
B. The exclusive rewards gainers will get a large recompensation for being a loyal customer.
As others have pointed out in the many other threads addressing this topic, there are far too many "free" Cartel Coins out there, so if anything like this were to be made available it would need to be for actual money, such as requiring people to subscribe (uninterrupted) for the same amount of time subscribers were initially required to be subscribed in order to be eligible. That would be the only way to make it "fair" in terms of cost.

The whole point of these rewards is to attempt to generate a consistent, steady revenue stream, so anything less than that fails to achieve what the company set out to accomplish by offering such rewards. The bottom line is their bottom line. No company likes the spikes and falls that often surround MMO revenue, picking up for an expansion and then dropping off during the interim content drought. As a result, they will constantly try different approaches to stabilize the revenue stream. Chapters are another example of this. Had they worked, we would have seen more of them. However, since people could just wait and pay a one-time cost to get all of them at the end, the model did not prove successful. If they offer another bonus chapter in the future we'll know the HK bonus chapter hit whatever goal they set. It was the added incentive to try to keep people subscribed continuously during the rollout of the chapters. However, since the chapters are now gone, one can reasonably conclude the bonus chapter was not enough of an incentive to keep enough people subscribed, so it's unlikely we'll get another in the future.

Monumenta's Avatar


Monumenta
12.17.2016 , 03:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by RagnarAugustus View Post
Bioware will never backtrack on subscriber rewards because it sets a bad precedence if the player base sees that rewards will be available regardless of meeting the standards.
the new party jawa says you're wrong