Will unassembled components for medals ruin pvp

TrixxieTriss

Will unassembled components for medal ruin "Objective" pvp?

I know the idea is good for ranked and I applaud the concept to get the farmers out of there

But what about objective 8 man pvp? I'm pretty sure the Devs didn't even think how this might affect it because everyone has been focused on ranked.

With the unassembled components based on medals, no one is going to want to guard. It will turn into medal farming. Which also means stealths will run around trying to ninja cap three nodes and leave as soon as they cap.

Objective pvp is nearly a lost art form, but this will kill it.

The only fix is an overhaul of the medal system to stop people from ignoring objective play, but also from exploiting it. ie, how many dps that can heal or tank will just stop dps for part of the game to farm extra medals. Also what about other classes who can't farm those medals.

I do like the component idea in principle, especially for ranked. But I think medals will need to be overhauled.

I started another thread in the gen section to ask Bio to look at the issue and to adjust the medal system.

Any positive support from you guys would certainly help, especially if we can keep that thread on the front page for them to see.

Here is the thread link http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=906937

Merry Christmas or seasons celebrations.

Eh; I'm pretty sure whatever we earn it'll cap out at eight medals. Also; should add that the victory or defeat probably influence the gain. Either way; I doubt much will change as since closed beta people been ignoring objectives to deathmatch in some corner somewhere then cry, complain, and blame others for losing. Either which why I'll focus on the objectives to best my ability when in derpzones.

If you want to get high number of medals (more than 15), you actually have to kill, off-heal, guard/use taunts and do the objectives, preferably without dying. That requires some hard work.

Playing sin/shadow tank will be the easiest way if your goal is the number of medals.

If you want to get high number of medals (more than 15), you actually have to kill, off-heal, guard/use taunts and do the objectives, preferably without dying. That requires some hard work.

Playing sin/shadow tank will be the easiest way if your goal is the number of medals.

Juggs are permanent kings of medal farming without hard work. Or maybe it's just me... i don't know sorry! :o

Edited by Glower

If it caps out at 8, which I would expect, then... er, actually I just realized I don't know why it would make it any different than what we had with warzone comms? I was going to say that it would actually make people MORE likely to go "guard"... do a bit of dps or heals to get a couple medals that way, then just go AFK at the off node to get enough defender medals to get up to 8.

But then I realized - wait... what we used to have was "doing pvp got you WZ comms, based on medals, with a cap at 8." Now we might have "doing pvp gets you components, based on medals, up to 8". Isn't that basically the same thing, just with a different label attached to the rewards? Why would people's behavior change at all?

Assuming a cap at 8. And yes, what a silly question about "why would people's behavior change", because who can predict what "us gamers" will do. :p

Eh; I'm pretty sure whatever we earn it'll cap out at eight medals. Also; should add that the victory or defeat probably influence the gain. Either way; I doubt much will change as since closed beta people been ignoring objectives to deathmatch in some corner somewhere then cry, complain, and blame others for losing. Either which why I'll focus on the objectives to best my ability when in derpzones.

Like the Legendary Pikeman says...

If CXP caps with 8 medals it shouldn't be a problem, you will cap regardless of objective or death match habits, hence people will be less inclined to farm.

That said I would still like to see some thought go into objective medal changes that would lend to teaching people proper objective play.

Edited by Soljin

My concern is people will be so busy farming medals that they won't guard. And if someone is kind enough to guard, they will get less medals

Like the Legendary Pikeman says...

If CXP caps with 8 medals it shouldn't be a problem, you will cap regardless of objective or death match habits, hence people will be less inclined to farm.

That said I would still like to see some thought go into objective medal changes that would lend to teaching people proper objective play.

Oh, did I miss the 8 medal cap or something. <<< so blonde

My concern is people will be so busy farming medals that they won't guard. And if someone is kind enough to guard, they will get less medals

I guard 70 % of my playtime and I sheeet on medals, because winning is the only thing I care about. Before 5.0 when you had to stand away from the objective not to be spotted getting 0 guard points was a usual thing if there were no visitors. It was rather risky (I'd say dumb) to stand nearby and farm medals.

There's little reason to think that CXP or tokens will be proportional to medals. It could easily be based too off of objective points, victory, or whatever other stat caused variance in comm/valor/credit gains.

8 medals will almost certainly be the cap. Getting 8 medals on any class except for sniper or mara is trivially easy. Even with those two it isn't difficult.

Winning decisively in less than like 10 minutes gets the winning team lots of medals anyways, so it is not rare to see as many as 25 medals...

If you're not reaching at least 8 medals regularly, then PEBKAC.

Edited by Zunayson

There's little reason to think that CXP or tokens will be proportional to medals. It could easily be based too off of objective points, victory, or whatever other stat caused variance in comm/valor/credit gains.

8 medals will almost certainly be the cap. Getting 8 medals on any class except for sniper or mara is trivially easy. Even with those two it isn't difficult.

Winning decisively in less than like 10 minutes gets the winning team lots of medals anyways, so it is not rare to see as many as 25 medals...

If you're not reaching at least 8 medals regularly, then PEBKAC.

I'm still intrigued where this 8 medal thing came from and why you are all so certain.?

I'm still intrigued where this 8 medal thing came from and why you are all so certain.?

The 8 medal cap is shown by an additional buff/debuff on your character during a WZ once you hit 8 medals....with that said I don't know if this will be applied to unassembled tokens nor does anyone else at this point.

The 8 medal cap is shown by an additional buff/debuff on your character during a WZ once you hit 8 medals....with that said I don't know if this will be applied to unassembled tokens nor does anyone else at this point.

That's the point I've been trying to make. How is everyone so certain that the 8 medal cap for this old antiquated medal system is going to be the cap for the components. People just seem so sure that I thought there must be something official from Bio.

That's the point I've been trying to make. How is everyone so certain that the 8 medal cap for this old antiquated medal system is going to be the cap for the components. People just seem so sure that I thought there must be something official from Bio.

Not that I have found....it's straight up assumption from what I can tell.

Isn't this new system going to be exactly the same as the cxp medal system they already have in place? 10 medals is cap for reward and anyone who has a brain can get it no matter if they are a tank, healer or dps.

At this point I find it really hard for them to do a change that is going to be worse than what they already have going.

Edited by kissingaiur

Isn't this new system going to be exactly the same as the cxp medal system they already have in place? 10 medals is cap for reward and anyone who has a brain can get it no matter if they are a tank, healer or dps.

At this point I find it really hard for them to do a change that is going to be worse than what they already have going.

At this point...I'm not so sure.