Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rouge One - First Impressions

Raynn
12.16.2016 , 11:46 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by t-darko View Post
Might be an age thing but I'd say "The Dirty Dozen" rather. and in that sense the movie has a classic build up and execution . .

Good call. The Dirty Dozen is a good comparison
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite post on the Citiadel."
Raynn (PT Tank, Jugg Tank)
(Lord Praven, Drooga's Pleasure Barge, The Harbinger)

kirorx
12.16.2016 , 12:40 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedzaban View Post
If I ever see this film it would be to see Vader again. Is it true he is only in it for a few minutes?
I just saw it and must say that if you did not like TFA, You may still love this.

It's nothing like TFA. There is a lot of grit and without getting into spoilers you really see the war side of the rebellion and empire.

It really was good and seeing battle scarred stormtroopers and near terrorist militias fighting them was awesome.

There is a female lead but no character is the picture perfect Mary Sue that Rey is.

I have a lot of the same gripes with TFA that you do, but his was totally something cooler

Tulac
12.16.2016 , 01:53 PM | #23
I loved Rogue One. It was very well done.
Hello Fellow Friend of the Force. Click my referral link below to get started on your path in a galaxy far far away...
http://www.swtor.com/r/f2QCLLhttp://vimeo.com/33030008
| Malasice - Sith Assassin | Vy'Dria - Sith Warrior |

Plk_Lesiak
12.16.2016 , 05:39 PM | #24
Like many have said here already, I pretty much hated Episode VII and I really liked Rouge 1. It was really a very well executed story, different and fresh thanks to it. I really loathe how much The Force Awakened remade the New Hope, I was dying for a new story and I got it here. Even though it was more or less a supplement filling the gap between the prequels and original trilogy, it honestly tried to do something different and give us a new perspective on things.

Also, fan service was much more subtle than in Episode VII, apart from the very in-your-face ending. All the moments I didn't like in trailers were cut out. Vader was awesome whenever he showed up. Everything just worked, without being a convoluted mess like the newest episode.

But, as someone might have noticed, I hate Episode VII and was desperate for something different. I wasn't very hopeful that Rogue 1 will deliver, but when I saw it going in the right way I was already stoked as hell. So I might be too optimistic about it, but it's a solid 8/10, or 8,5/10 maybe.

Zhedzaban
12.16.2016 , 05:51 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
I just saw it and must say that if you did not like TFA, You may still love this.

It's nothing like TFA. There is a lot of grit and without getting into spoilers you really see the war side of the rebellion and empire.

It really was good and seeing battle scarred stormtroopers and near terrorist militias fighting them was awesome.

There is a female lead but no character is the picture perfect Mary Sue that Rey is.

I have a lot of the same gripes with TFA that you do, but his was totally something cooler
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably weaken and go see it if I can convince my daughter to come with during the holidays.

I'll keep an open mind, but the one movie I'm holding out hope for is the Han Solo movie.
RIP APAC players, RIP West Coast Players, RIP anyone not living on the East Coast

The United Forces merger disaster, 2017

heythereqt
12.16.2016 , 06:07 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Zhedzaban View Post
I must confess I have zero interest in Rogue 1 and to me the franchise is dead as long as Disney has the rights to it.

If I ever get the urge to be preached at with SJW and feminist issues I'll go take a look, but after TFA I've had enough. I'm also getting bored with the Mary Sue characters as well. These movies are clearly not aimed at my generation of Star Wars fans, they are pitched at a younger Disney fan base.

That's fine though, the EU Star Wars and the Bioware stories are far more interesting.
rofl, what?! You do realize that other people exist in this world besides white, middle-aged males? How on earth did you have to spin the TFA storyline in your head to make it have anything to do with SJW or feminist issues? The world is a diverse place, and the TFA cast reflected that. What's the problem there?

Spoiler

Anyway, as for my first impressions: it was FANTASTIC. It's the movie I've always wanted to see as a Star Wars fan. It shows the side of the Star Wars universe that the other movies never could. Without saying any spoilers, that final scene might be the most spectacular scene I've ever witnessed in a movie. Childhood dreams have come true.
Use my referral link HERE and receive these benefits for free! Thanks!

foldyjedi
12.16.2016 , 08:13 PM | #27
I really loved it. I don't know where to start.....i liked the fact that it was kind of a side story. the galaxy was in bad state, and the empire really seemed like a big threat over the galaxy. you can nearly feel the suffering and fear of the poor people who have to live under the empire.
Also i liked the blind guy who was some kind of a selfmade improvised force user. To me this movie greatly showed the impact of the prequels.
Yavin 4 just felt great knowing that thousands of years ago my character fought revan there.
To the mass audience this movie might not be the best, but for me loving the side stories( this is also what we often do in swtor) it was a great addition.
And Vader was just awesome.......makes me wish for a SWTOR movie or series with Sith battleing Jedi and all the good aspects love in this game.

foldyjedi
12.16.2016 , 08:15 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by heythereqt View Post
rofl, what?! You do realize that other people exist in this world besides white, middle-aged males? How on earth did you have to spin the TFA storyline in your head to make it have anything to do with SJW or feminist issues? The world is a diverse place, and the TFA cast reflected that. What's the problem there?

Spoiler

Anyway, as for my first impressions: it was FANTASTIC. It's the movie I've always wanted to see as a Star Wars fan. It shows the side of the Star Wars universe that the other movies never could. Without saying any spoilers, that final scene might be the most spectacular scene I've ever witnessed in a movie. Childhood dreams have come true.
Wow same thing for me....as a kid i always dreamed to see Vader again. All that Force Pushing and Chokeing!!!! Just great!!!!!

KalebGrayson
12.16.2016 , 08:48 PM | #29
I just got back from the movie as well. I really enjoyed the movie. I'm a Jedi at heart and play one in SWToR, but I won't lie that Vader was bad *** in that end scene. Literally a juggernaut. I thought the CGI on Tarkin was pretty good. You could tell Leia was fake...but I was ok with it. K-2SO was really funny! He reminded me of HK-55 and the swamp scene with the spiders. The Blind Guy was awesome too. The bag over his head part was lol...

Raynn
12.16.2016 , 09:42 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by KalebGrayson View Post
I just got back from the movie as well. I really enjoyed the movie. I'm a Jedi at heart and play one in SWToR, but I won't lie that Vader was bad *** in that end scene. Literally a juggernaut. I thought the CGI on Tarkin was pretty good. You could tell Leia was fake...but I was ok with it. K-2SO was really funny! He reminded me of HK-55 and the swamp scene with the spiders. The Blind Guy was awesome too. The bag over his head part was lol...
I have never been more intimidated by Vader before. That was literally insane. Now we see why he was feared....
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite post on the Citiadel."
Raynn (PT Tank, Jugg Tank)
(Lord Praven, Drooga's Pleasure Barge, The Harbinger)