Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disappointed with KOTET/KOTFE storyline, anyone else feel that way? (Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Disappointed with KOTET/KOTFE storyline, anyone else feel that way? (Spoilers)

DarkLordKRH
12.14.2016 , 05:35 PM | #21
You're spot on with your assessment. However, I'd also like to add something that you didn't touch on. The last and final fight with Valkorian, he's in your head, he let it out about Vaylin's "conditioning", then you use it on him?!?! Like he didn't think of that? As for the end of Khem Val, there's a post and I believe a video out, that states, ALL companions are intended to be returned to us.... eventually, some day, some year, a decade maybe?! (Where's Jaesa?) However, that's on back burner!! I have many alts and have ran through the story-line enough times to know.... some of those fights are ridiculous at best!! As Wrath and as an Inquisitor, both force users, both should be looking for more power, more resources, etc. I, like you, am very disappointed but, if I had to choose between the 2, KoTET was a better story than KoTFE ever was. KoTFE was too drawn out!! Even the Dev's admitted this.

yaorderstank
12.14.2016 , 05:45 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Abulica View Post
I still hope they'll just retcon all of 4.0 and 5.0 in 6.0.
That would be great, wouldn't it?

"Sorry guys we know we screwed up, we'll start over."

Honestly I would be so happy if they did, even if it took a really long time for the next story to come out. I think you should have included Shadow of Revan in that list imo. I think this game really went downhill story wise with Shadow of Revan, and since then it has just gotten worse. At least in ROTHC we weren't working with the other faction, it still had that Republic vs Empire dichotomy that makes it feel more like Star Wars and not poorly written fan fiction.

I don't play through SOR/KOTFE/KOTET anymore. For my characters its just class stories up through ROTHC and then endgame content. I pretend like it never existed lol. Honestly I see no good reason to stay subbed anymore if all they are gonna do is defame my characters with every new expac (not to mention new content, uprisings are a joke).

RoboticRobin
12.14.2016 , 05:49 PM | #23
I'm not really sure how to say this, but I genuinely liked KOTFE/KOTET. This might be because so far, I only took a Knight through it and the story, as many before me have pointed out, makes perfect sense for him (I even heard a rumor that it was originally planned to be a continuation of the JK's class story). Maybe if I took a different class through the story, I could see the problems that others had. I even liked the Attuned saber I got from Chapter 12, mainly for its design, and I have kept it on my Knight ever since.The only problem I had with the story was that it didn't seem to acknowledge my vanilla companions' existence (except T7).

But I have to agree with the sentiment that the writers have written themselves into a corner. This mirrors the feeling I had when, after five or so years, the Iconian storyline in STO finally ended (the game had long since resorted to one-size-fits-all stories at that point, much like SWTOR). The Sith Emperor/Vitiate/Valkorion storyline is over, Zakuul belongs to us, and we possess an enormous military force in the form of the Eternal Fleet and the only known counter to it, the Gravestone, as well as a fleet of ships that came from the Sith Empire and the Republic.
It can be safely assumed that the writers cannot really return to the "Imp vs. Pub" paradigm of the vanilla storylines, as we are basically the head of our own faction now. Returning to the old paradigm would destroy everything we accomplished in KOTFE/KOTET, and while some players might want to see "the slate wiped clean" of these two expansions and hope that it is just retconned and never brought up again, other players might be enraged by such a decision and I also believe that to be impossible to accomplish in a satisfying manner. The easiest way to continue the story would be to introduce a fourth faction that threatens the galaxy, as this would allow the "one-size-fits-all" theme to continue. Which faction (Killiks? Yuuzhan Vong? Republic/Imperial splinter factions? Kephess?) is entirely up to the writers as they seem to enjoy a lot of creative freedom.

yaorderstank
12.14.2016 , 07:08 PM | #24
In reply to RoboticRobin,

I see what you are saying. Honestly if they bring a 4th faction in that would be the worst thing ever. Now the alliance which I already hate, has to work with even more pubs to stop a new enemy which is somehow mysteriously all powerful while the rest of us are timid weaklings. No thanks. Allying factions is the worst thing ever for MMO stories, like why does that always happen? There would be a lot less room for error by just making it a continuous war between factions with the occasional (but not all powerful) third faction springing up that both the Republic and Empire have to fight (without needing to ally with each other of course). If it is war on a galactic scale, there is no way for it to be short and sweet, even with the technology of Star Wars it would take decades. Honestly there is nothing more Star Wars to me personally than Sith fighting Jedi, I wish they hadn't deviated from that, or at the very least made it a CHOICE not to ally with the enemy faction so that people who don't like the dichotomy of imp vs pub get something else. I feel sort of deceived, dare I say, by the original game trailers such as 'Return' and 'Deceived' which were the ones that got me hooked into playing (I started the game after 4.0 came out, but I didn't watch the trailer for KOTFE so didn't have an inkling of that mess)

LorcaGneditch
12.15.2016 , 02:42 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Vycktor View Post
]I want my companions back! Give me back Dark Jaesa! I want to know who she's been killing. She is also the perfect candidate for same gender romance. Ashara, Kira, come back to us!
I miss Khem Val badly. He was such a dear fellow, and I just let him free and chose him over Zash...
And that limited interaction with re-acquired companions! I mean, why even bother giong for my second favourite, Talos, if I'm enamoured with his dialogues and get none of them at all? Just pick him up and leave standing in the corner((

(Please, make him a romance option once! For both sexes, preferrably.)

SithKoriandr
12.15.2016 , 11:05 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Hehe. (partly right for the most part. In addition, before my friends and I started playing the game, and found out the inquisitor was a slave, the roleplay we had done actually had my sorcerer against the empire for something in her past so she never trusted the empire and when this story came out this time and it gave the option for her to be empress it fit perfectly into the roleplay story and the funny part is my friends and I never expected that lol.

The bounty hunter honestly never made sense to be loyal to the Empire. They will work with them but why would they be loyal to the empire.

My agent didn't forget what the Empire did to her and so to her they did not deserve her loyalty after that.
OMG yes. I have no idea why my Hunter is so anti Republic. Neither side really condones what she does, but both sides do seem to want to use Hunters, except Rep side likes to say they're even more illegal
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

RoboticRobin
12.15.2016 , 05:26 PM | #27
@yaorderstank:

There are multiple reasons for one-size-fits-all stories: For starters, the devs operate under budget constraints, they simply do not have the hundreds of millions of dollars they had when they made the base game at their disposal anymore (especially because the game was a huge financial loss at first). Thus, they have to allocate their resources wisely and cannot spend as freely as they could at the beginning of the development process. Second, strict adherence to a two-factions-at-war paradigm (Horde vs. Alliance, Empire vs. Republic, Klingons vs. Federation, Red vs. Blue; you get the idea) can only work for so long. After some time, this type of story can and will grow stale, at which point the writers will face a problem: the player base will cry for something new or, in typical fashion, outright claim that the game is dying. This is when a new threat will have to be introduced, and it is just easier to go with a one-size-fits-all story, as it significantly cuts down development time, which is crucial in sating the appetite of impatient players. Finally, in addition to the story growing stale, the writers would just as easily write themselves into a corner: They would need to constantly keep with the theme of the two factions, greatly reducing their creative freedom, which, unsurprisingly, contributes to the story growing stale.

In the end, the Eternal Alliance allows the writers far more creative freedom while cutting down on development time and allowing them to work under a tighter budget. While this might seem lazy to some, it allows the writers to write themselves out of their corner more easily.

Summing up, I respectfully disagree with you, as I believe that the Eternal Alliance creates a greater degree of possibilities for the writers. While there might be nothing more Star Wars than Sith fighting Jedi, even this might come to be seen as boring and cliché if overused.

PS: This is a matter of personal taste, but I love "Alliance" stories where two warring factions put their differences aside to fight a greater threat.

Darth_Krushya
12.15.2016 , 06:23 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by RoboticRobin View Post
@yaorderstank:

There are multiple reasons for one-size-fits-all stories: For starters, the devs operate under budget constraints, they simply do not have the hundreds of millions of dollars they had when they made the base game at their disposal anymore (especially because the game was a huge financial loss at first). Thus, they have to allocate their resources wisely and cannot spend as freely as they could at the beginning of the development process. Second, strict adherence to a two-factions-at-war paradigm (Horde vs. Alliance, Empire vs. Republic, Klingons vs. Federation, Red vs. Blue; you get the idea) can only work for so long. After some time, this type of story can and will grow stale, at which point the writers will face a problem: the player base will cry for something new or, in typical fashion, outright claim that the game is dying. This is when a new threat will have to be introduced, and it is just easier to go with a one-size-fits-all story, as it significantly cuts down development time, which is crucial in sating the appetite of impatient players. Finally, in addition to the story growing stale, the writers would just as easily write themselves into a corner: They would need to constantly keep with the theme of the two factions, greatly reducing their creative freedom, which, unsurprisingly, contributes to the story growing stale.

In the end, the Eternal Alliance allows the writers far more creative freedom while cutting down on development time and allowing them to work under a tighter budget. While this might seem lazy to some, it allows the writers to write themselves out of their corner more easily.

Summing up, I respectfully disagree with you, as I believe that the Eternal Alliance creates a greater degree of possibilities for the writers. While there might be nothing more Star Wars than Sith fighting Jedi, even this might come to be seen as boring and cliché if overused.

PS: This is a matter of personal taste, but I love "Alliance" stories where two warring factions put their differences aside to fight a greater threat.
I agree. I enjoyed the expansions. What I would like to see now is reconstruction with the aid of the Galactic Alliance. I want to see it eventually turn to wiping out organized criminal syndicates like the Exchange, Czerka, the Hutt Cartel etc. This is ultimately futile as those organizations are too entrenched, dug-in, and integrated into the Star Wars mythos and galactic infrastructure to be removed.

Spoiler
THE JE'DAII CODE: "There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no fear; there is power. I am the heart of the Force. I am the revealing light of fire. I am the mystery of darkness. In balance with chaos and harmony. Immortal in the Force."

taiwwa
12.15.2016 , 06:48 PM | #29
Yes, the trailer was really promising, the actual game was pretty bad.

Again.

The worst decision they made was to make Valkorion the Eternal Emperor. Very bad idea.

Arcaan was just a blustery bad guy yet again. Not very well done. He has no redeeming features, is just roided up all the time.

What would have made this game interesting would be if Zakuul were a genuine third faction which sought to save the galaxy from the Jedi/Sith bickering. The artwork definitely shows an "empire of good" vibe, unlike the Empire of Evil that is the Sith Empire.

The sister with the stones embedded in her head was another incredibly bad choice.

This was not a good game in the least.

yaorderstank
12.15.2016 , 08:24 PM | #30
I guess there's not much point in being dissatisfied, not like it is going to change anything lol. I understand your point about creative freedom and Imps vs Pubs all the time would get stale. I'm actually fine with third factions, I would just like to be able to choose to fight them without the aid of the Republic. ROTHC is a good example, there was a greater threat to face but it didn't abandon the dichotomy of Republic vs Empire (but a ROTHC type story should be changed so you could form an alliance if you wanted to). Speaking of stale, the last three expansions have all had the same exact main antagonist behind the scenes (Vitiate).

Plus, if they were always going to make the one size fits all story,
Spoiler

I mean that's just cruel. Don't bring my hopes up only to tear me down.