So tokens where too complex yet...

Deewe

News gear naming convention messes things up.

1. Tier 1 (GC 1-89) Artifact: Eternal Commander MK-3 (ilvl 230)
  2. Tier 2 (GC 90-179) Artifact: Eternal Commander MK-13 (ilvl 234)
  3. Tier 2 (GC 90-179) Artifact: Eternal Commander MK-15 (ilvl 236)
  4. Tier 2 (GC 180-300) Artifact: Iokath MK-3 (ilvl 240)
  5. Tier 2 (GC 180-300) Artifact: Iokath MK-5 (ilvl 242)

So in short:

• MK-5 > MK-3 > MK-15 > MK-13> MK-3

So much for making things clearer.

At least if you wanted to introduce a new "sexy" (but totally meaningless name for newcomers and too many vets) this is how it should have been done:

• Tier 1 (GC 1-89) Artifact: Eternal Commander MK-5 (ilvl 230)
  • Tier 2 (GC 90-179) Artifact: Eternal Commander MK-6 (ilvl 234)
  • Tier 2 (GC 90-179) Artifact: Eternal Commander MK-7 (ilvl 236)
  • Tier 2 (GC 180-300) Artifact: Iokath MK-8 (ilvl 240)
  • Tier 2 (GC 180-300) Artifact: Iokath MK-9 (ilvl 242)

Note, the only issue with the tokens was the naming tag as no tier was identified in the name and also colors aren't a good tag for colorblind people (nearly 1 out of 10 male players in North America.)

(edit) Adding the future changes to gearing with Command Crates:

Hey folks,

Thank you to everyone who tuned in today. Here is a wrap-up of what we talked about:

**snip**

Gearing Changes in Galactic Command

• You can work towards specific pieces of gear through endgame activities.
  • Elements of working towards those pieces are legacy-wide.

In PvE

• Unassembled Gear pieces are a guaranteed drop from the last boss of each Operation, with specific drops on a boss (Ex: Soa dropping chest).
  • Each other boss in an Operation has a chance to drop any token. Bosses that are later in an Operation have a higher chance then those early in the Op.
  • Turn in an Unassembled Gear piece along with Command Tokens (which come from Command Crates) to get that piece of gear.

In PvP

• Playing any Warzone will earn you Unassembled Components. You earn more based on medals, match outcome, etc.
  • Turn Unassembled Components into a PvP vendor with a Valor requirement to get an Unassembled Gear piece.
  • Turn in an Unassembled Gear piece along with Command Tokens (which come from Command Crates) to get that piece of gear.

General Notes

• Command Tokens are legacy-wide.
  • Command Tokens will be retroactively granted to each character based on their Command Rank when 5.1 goes live.

My interview with SWTOR Central -

Our next livestream will be in January!

-eric

Source: clicky ; and Dulfy's excellent wrap up link

New wrap up, again from Dulfy's

Galactic Command Changes

• New currency: Command Tokens – earned from command crates, legacy wide and retroactively granted. Different tiers will get different amounts of tokens, still need to figure out the exact numbers.

• New currency: Unassembled Components – rewarded from participation in warzones. Earned at a flat rate, just win/losses. Still need to figure out how to balance earn rate from warzones vs arenas.

• New currency: Unassembled gear pieces – earned from Ops bosses or purchased with Unassembled components. Last boss of an operation have a guaranteed chance to drop a specific Unassembled Gear piece while other bosses have an increased chance to drop these gear pieces as you get further into the operation.

• Unassembled Components can be turned into Unassembled Gear Pieces. Unassembled Gear Pieces combined with Command Tokens will give you a tier set piece on the vendor. 2-3 command crates of Command Tokens will be enough to get a piece but you still need to get the Unassembled Gear Pieces

Edited by Deewe

It was only complicated for people who couldn't read or don't understand what they are reading.
Given the number of posts you see here asking "Where's my subscriber reward companion??!?" whenever a deadline date passes, I think it's safe to say that there are a sizable number of people who qualify under those criteria.

This was just an excuse. The real reason for the change is that they think RNG gearing is "exciting"

Oh it is though, every time I get a purple crate drop I whip out my todger and give it a damn good *******. I can't tell you the amount of Astroglide I've gone through! ;) I think my wang has grown longer it's spend so much time stiff.:D

Ok, I *may* be going a little over the top. In case BW don't get sarcasm, RNG is rubbish when it comes to gearing.

Not to be sarcastic here, but concerned: the planned system will be quite a mess especially for more casual players and newcomers.

Seems to me you guys are overdoing things.

How about not trying to salvage this unappealing system and go back to simpler ways?

Also look like the new system might become a pain to maintain and evolve at medium-long term.

I don't think that the new token system is complicated. There are certainly a number of details missing from Eric's writeup, and he knows that.

I think there comes a point where no amount of simplification will make something understood by everybody. There will always be people who just don't get it. I thought that it made sense and was very easy to understand, then I read these forums and was shocked by how many people don't understand it. :eek: I really don't want to see things simplified and made worse in order to chase the unicorn of making it understood by everyone.

Now the MK-N naming system is totally, completely and utterly whacked, no doubt.

Edited by teclado

I don't think that the new token system is complicated.

Before we had 3 tiers of tokens with a non crystal clear naming tag and well colorization that was not working for colorblind people. Top of that we had OP gear token.

It wasn't a great system but it was quite easy to get if you either googled it or asked someone to explain it.

In the new system you're going to have to get tokens that you have to combine with unassembled pieces to unlock the gear OR you'll have to get the components from PVP and assemble them, bear with me... only if your valor is high enough. We are not done yet. The PVP components are bound to the character running PVP.

Doesn't look that simple to me.

Edited by Deewe

There is no need to introduce more currencies. Credits and Command Tokens should be enough. Best explained here.

I agree. Just adding tokens to crates as a guaranteed drop along with the vendor would be sufficient. They could tie access to tier gear on the vendor to GC level pretty easy and be done with it.

Adding in the unassembled armor pieces is just throwing a bone to OPs and PvP players AND trolling them all at the same time. How? Because in the end.. the bottle neck will very likely be those tokens from crates for OPs and Pvp players ... seeing as Eric did say tokens (plural) when talking about the formula to buy an item from the vendor.

It was only complicated for people who couldn't read or don't understand what they are reading.

Precisely, this is an MMO you have to read to figure things out or ask seasoned players what is going on to completely know what's going on. There is no way possible to spoonfeed this stuff and make it where you don't need to take the initiative to learn about the game and its mechanics. Any steps designed to spoonfeed people generally have an adverse affect on the quality of the game.

The old system was straight forward, the new system is a convoluted mess of conflicting intentions with poor execution.

Adding in the unassembled armor pieces is just throwing a bone to OPs and PvP players AND trolling them all at the same time. How? Because in the end.. the bottle neck will very likely be those tokens from crates for OPs and Pvp players ... seeing as Eric did say tokens (plural) when talking about the formula to buy an item from the vendor.

I'm not sure how that is "trolling" us Operations player since this is a step forward to getting back to where we want. If we keep the pressure on the dev team perhaps we can return to the logic Operations gearing of pre-5.0 while the non-end game players can happily play the RNG gearing lottery.

I'm not sure how that is "trolling" us Operations player since this is a step forward to getting back to where we want. If we keep the pressure on the dev team perhaps we can return to the logic Operations gearing of pre-5.0 while the non-end game players can happily play the RNG gearing lottery.

Would you Operation players prefer Unassembled Component to drop from Ops boss that only player who wins roll gets to mix it with command tokens and get vendor item related to the specific Unassembled Component?

Or would you Operation players like to have 1 currency only as a mission reward where you get Command Tokens for completing operation (all with quest get rewarded, not just 1 roll winner), where roll between players and Unassembled Components do not exist and where playing operation rewards you with only 1 currency needed that you can use to directly buy desired items from Command Token Vendor that are not locked to the specific Unassembled Component?

• 3 weeks later...

Shockingly ridiculous.

So i get the one thing, trade it for the other thing, and then trade that for a third thing?

I

AM

DONE

When my sub runs out. Thats it.

Also, from now on I will take careful note of who the developers are of games that I play in the future. If someone from the SWTOR dev team is on that games team. I will not play that game.

HEAR THAT HIRING MANAGERS SWTOR DEV TEAM IS POISON, DO NOT HIRE.

This is the runescape playbook. Ruin the game over and over till no one plays, never admit any wrongdoing of any kind.

Edited by Smuglebunny

You know, the data crystal vendors were one of the best parts of the game. It was like a tacit acknowledgement from the devs that player choice mattered. That's my biggest beef with CXP; it's a big step backwards into early-2000s MMO land.

The new system fixes this a bit. That's great.

But the sad thing is, the old system was JUST FINE. It was NICE. Sure, some idiots whined about it. Thanks, idiots.

I can't see the confusion in trading comms for gear. - It's a currency like any other, be it pounds, euros or dollars.

If the comms happen to be crystals, it doesn't make them any different.

I can't see the problem with trading one piece of gear + comms for the next tier up. - like paying for an upgrade. - Part exchange if you like.

That was simple enough for five years.... When did the idiots who can't understand that start playing?

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Not to be sarcastic here, but concerned: the planned system will be quite a mess especially for more casual players and newcomers.

Seems to me you guys are overdoing things.

How about not trying to salvage this unappealing system and go back to simpler ways?

Also look like the new system might become a pain to maintain and evolve at medium-long term.

They dont have to salvage it, keep it but also bring back the old system. Raiders can gear through ops and causals through casual stuff. Just make token drops as before. They would see themselves how many people would preffer going to ops rather then the RNG grind!

When did the idiots who can't understand that start playing?
They didn't. It is an excuse for introducing a system that's only purpose is to slow down progression to keep people occupied with old stuff for longer. Pretty obvious.