Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

SerraShar
12.10.2016 , 10:01 AM | #11
Quote:
Do you run them when you've got a subscription active?
No . Never done them . I was hoping since they turned those heroic+4 to solo . They would do the same with Operations , since we can also solo flashpoint . But no . Operation need a whole group , and I probably end up getting yelled at cose I stepped on someone toe or something .

Quote:
And actually, I prefer the current role options, simply because I prefer certain companions over others, and like being able to assign them to the role I'll need for my progression. Lately, I've become more proactive in selecting their role: if a particular grindy segment is coming up, I'll now set my companion to DPS just so we can move through the mobs at a more productive pace. Most of the time, they're Healer. I've tried their Tank option, but meh. Doesn't seem to feel right with my game style in melee.
Tank option seem bugged to me on some character that werent Tank . One exemple , is Vette who sometimes just stand there and do nothing . Until I click the button for her to attack .

Quote:
Just as an example: I work to make sure each of my alts has their own unique look and will often opt to stay with an underpowered piece of armor to maintain the character's or companion's look rather than have the better one, stats-wise, I just RNG'd.
haha everyone does that ! So we can look good in those cutscene !

Quote:
Which reminds me: I am SO thankful I don't have to try to keep my companions equally geared any longer!! That consumed a LOT of my casual time-- and if I were to place bets, I'd say that it felt like SWTOR: GC must feel like for those trying to gear up now through the new CXP system that us Classic players get to look forward to.
Truth be told , while now we don't have to worry about that and it seem easy . I do miss it .

Since Level Sync , it just..it kinda killed a routine I had . I knew I had to upgrade my gear before heading to X planet . I also knew I had to save those crystal so I could upgrade both mine and my companion . But now that is gone...it just doesn't feel right . I know...we have Level Sync so why worry right ? but it was a nice routine .

Now I feel like someone pulled the carpet under my feets sometimes .

Quote:
My alts also make it a point to... settle debts. Sometimes as I progress a new character, and they'll come across an NPC that manages to take them down. I nearly always come back and correct that later, when they'vemanaged to level or gear to a level where they can accomplish it.
Oh this is hilarious ! cose I though I was the only who does that ! lol Payback time feel so good !
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldn’t know a moment’s peace!

ENVISIONocity
12.10.2016 , 10:21 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SerraShar View Post
Since Level Sync , it just..it kinda killed a routine I had . I knew I had to upgrade my gear before heading to X planet . I also knew I had to save those crystal so I could upgrade both mine and my companion . But now that is gone...it just doesn't feel right . I know...we have Level Sync so why worry right ? but it was a nice routine .
When Bioware announced this recent removal of crystals, I went through all my alts and used their accrued crystals to buy up the level gear I find myself using on alts throughout Classic progression. I should be set for a while on that front. For now. Wishing I'd purchased more hilts, though.

Quote: Originally Posted by SerraShar View Post
Now I feel like someone pulled the carpet under my feets sometimes .
This is part of my reason for looking at SWTOR as two much different games: Classic and, now, Galactic Command with its KOFTE/KOTET. I've lost some nice things in Classic, but I at least have my companions. If I go on to Galactic Command, I lose even them. Or at least those yet to return, although as time goes on there seems little reason to think they ever will.

In Classic mode, I can enjoy the best cutscenes I've seen in an online MMO, fully-voiced. In Galactic Command mode, I am relegated to words in a multi-choice conversation where I am a silent participant.

In Classic mode, I can enjoy giving my companions their own unique looks to suit their personalities or roles. In GC mode, I'd be limited to an army of Stepford Wives of Lana.

It hardly seems a worthwhile tradeoff just to have better gear or a higher level to this old, casual PVE player.

Does anyone ever wonder if Bioware just pulled a Windows 10 with SWTOR? lol

djungelvraaal
12.10.2016 , 10:22 AM | #13
Fellow Shadowland player here, and a very casual one at that.

Just wanted to tell the OP that I likes his post, and just like you, I don't group much, which is a bit odd , considering I'm a quite social person, but for some reason, grouping in this game, just makes me stressed, I can't quite explain why though, mind you, this is not me complaining in any way, I quite like playing solo. About the buffs, I do the same thing, and just like you, quite often, people are too quick lol. I did get most of my max characters through KotfE, but, it at least to me, gets a bit tedious doing the same story on so many characters.
Also, it's nice to see a post that's well written, and seems to me at least, to have been well thought through as well!

JennyFlynn
12.10.2016 , 11:37 AM | #14
That was a nice post to read, refreshing even, thanks for sharing!

I'm a little bit like you myself. I play for me, rarely engage in group activities (did try a few here and there though and none of them were a bad experience) but I'm mostly in a pace of doing things my own way in my own time and actually wanting to watch cutscenes which doesn't always work in group format. I'm addicted to the Classic story arcs, they're my favorite by far and I'm up to 32'ish characters now all lingering somewhere between level 1 and 65, one is level 70. I did go into KOTFE/KOTET, despite the loss of companions, because I really wanted to experience the story and I don't regret it but there are times where I really miss my guys and wish they'd just show up already so I can have my family back. I've tried creating a fully DS character in the past but many choices just seem so, petty, illogical and psychotic that I rarely make it past DS III.

As far as GC goes, I feel it's a punishing system. As a casual story player, I personally don't really need the gear. If I get it, ok cool but if I don't then whatever. As long as my characters can handle whatever story content follows next, I'm good. However as someone who does engage in raiding and end-game activities in other MMO's, I fully understand the need for gear that other players have. The idea of progressing on a raid, taking on harder content and receiving better gear/rewards in exchange. GC takes that away from those players so I'm sympathetic to their plight even if it doesn't really affect me personally.

And buffing players... I do it too but usually while arriving at the entrance of HEROIC+2s, never to the crowd that's racing across the fleet, they're too speedy.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | | Defying Destiny @}}>---}-------

djungelvraaal
12.10.2016 , 11:44 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
That was a nice post to read, refreshing even, thanks for sharing!

I'm a little bit like you myself. I play for me, rarely engage in group activities (did try a few here and there though and none of them were a bad experience) but I'm mostly in a pace of doing things my own way in my own time and actually wanting to watch cutscenes which doesn't always work in group format. I'm addicted to the Classic story arcs, they're my favorite by far and I'm up to 32'ish characters now all lingering somewhere between level 1 and 65, one is level 70. I did go into KOTFE/KOTET, despite the loss of companions, because I really wanted to experience the story and I don't regret it but there are times where I really miss my guys and wish they'd just show up already so I can have my family back. I've tried creating a fully DS character in the past but many choices just seem so, petty, illogical and psychotic that I rarely make it past DS III.

As far as GC goes, I feel it's a punishing system. As a casual story player, I personally don't really need the gear. If I get it, ok cool but if I don't then whatever. As long as my characters can handle whatever story content follows next, I'm good. However as someone who does engage in raiding and end-game activities in other MMO's, I fully understand the need for gear that other players have. The idea of progressing on a raid, taking on harder content and receiving better gear/rewards in exchange. GC takes that away from those players so I'm sympathetic to their plight even if it doesn't really affect me personally.

And buffing players... I do it too but usually while arriving at the entrance of HEROIC+2s, never to the crowd that's racing across the fleet, they're too speedy.
Thank you for putting into words pretty much spot on how I feel about grouping, story, buffing, companions, and the GC, just like you, it doesn't really affect me personally, but I can fully understand the raiders.
Only thing in this post we differ on, is the full DS lol, I admit, I agree that some of those ds choices are a bit too much, even for me, so, yeah, I do cheat with the occasional LS option, and, make up for it with diplomacy!

ENVISIONocity
12.10.2016 , 12:23 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by djungelvraaal View Post
Fellow Shadowland player here, and a very casual one at that.
Cool! Nice to make your acquaintance!

I did get most of my max characters through KotfE, but, it at least to me, gets a bit tedious doing the same story on so many characters.
I must've progressed through the class stories and planetary arcs around 50 or 60 times if I factor in the alts that I deleted over the last five years. So why am I so averse to doing it that way through the GC system?

Like you pointed out, at least in Classic mode, you have 8 different class stories, each with their own goals and intrigues. In GC mode, you have a single story for 8 different classes, with everyone becoming the "Outlander." That's a pretty big reason to me as a longtime subscriber who also happens to be a solo casual.

Should Bioware have used GC as an opportunity to go with a new game engine and handled it as a "Guild Wars 2"-like expansion beyond Classic SWTOR? Especially in the face of such a significant makeover of SWTOR. Would GC have found greater acceptance in the forum community as SWTOR II? And if Bioware had, how might they have handled requests from people to transfer their characters to the new engine, I wonder. Maybe only Legacy gear could go with that level of transfer? I sure don't claim to have any answers.

Me, I have to come to terms with the reality that as long as I choose not to play SWTOR: GC, and finally accept that it's the end of the line as far as story is concerned.

Which, for this old casual soloist player, is oddly okay because there is still much to do in Classic SWTOR, and I doubt I'll get to everything so long as I remain a casual--

In the meantime, I'll wait to see when my teams of companions come back into the story and take things from there. In fact, I think I saw someone post elsewhere on here that Bioware could do it through the same delivery system they used for HK-55 recently. I think that's a great suggestion for us casuals to see, especially. Stories for each companion from the companion's perspective in the days leading up to crossing paths with the Outlander-- for better or worse, depending on what the player's affection was in Classic SWTOR. There's how many months of content for subscribers? Even doing a dual companion DLC every 3 months would be better than what us casuals are potentially looking at in 2017 as far as story content.

Also, it's nice to see a post that's well written, and seems to me at least, to have been well thought through as well!
It's my first topic creation, and I was nervous, lol! So, I blathered on longer than I had intended.

SolarWake
12.10.2016 , 12:55 PM | #17
+1 to pretty much everything said in this thread so far. tl;dr types, feel free to skip the rest of this post

To me, it has always seemed that the player community has been divided into those who were primarily looking for KotOR 3 and those who were primarily looking for Star WoW, with relatively few people honestly attracted to the game for both facets from the outset. As a strictly solo player (exception: Valor 5 and FPs for DvL Eternal, and boy did I drag all those teams down), I've always been one of the KotOR 3 types, and have always been pleasantly surprised at just how well the devs managed to preserve that single-player feeling in an MMO, largely because of the class storylines and companion interaction.

The more that complexity collapses, the more my enjoyment erodes, and the companion absences have broken an otherwise pleasant immersion, but that's on me. Though I've invested a significant amount of money in ~4 years of subscription (plus CM purchases), when the inevitable occurs and the enjoyment is no longer worth the expenditure, I doubt I'll be all fiery about it. Just quietly unsub, with enjoyable memories of the countless hours spent in these stories. Maybe re-sub later if the game is still there, as I also tend to revisit single-player RPGs.

During the 5.0 RNG crisis, the most common argument seems to be that the mechanics introduced in 5.0 are blatantly designed to artificially extend existing content (and thus extend people's subscriptions), and that the developers should realize that the community is so opposed to the current direction that the changes will, in fact, have the opposite effect on subscriptions. The counter-arguments, when they occur, seem to be that the vocal unsubscribers do not reflect a silent majority of players who are perfectly content to adjust to the new changes.

This has made me wonder how many KotOR 3 'casuals' are actually out there subscribing, and whether our consumer loyalty is also on the line. I mean, I've been steadily subbed for 4 years, investing significant time off and on, just enjoying solo content, and because of the intricacy of the vanilla storylines, the relative depth of NPC interaction, and my own penchant for enjoying the scenery (/datacrons), I still haven't even finished all of the class arcs!

While I'm not in the business of crusading for changes, I do quietly wonder whether there are enough 'story' players that streamlining trend evident through the various expansions isn't going to have a similarly deleterious effect on their long-term subscriber base, just with a significant time delay. Unfortunately, short of the devs sending out a detailed survey, there is no way of gauging this, the theoretical *silent* majority of players being just that.

Also, well-met, fellow Shadowlands slow-buffing altaholics

eriksarcasm
12.10.2016 , 01:15 PM | #18
If you guys feel like starting a guild of casual Shadowlanders, don't forget to send ol' eriksarcasm an e-vite!

Though, I may take a day or two to reply, I don't login every day anymore.

OP, couldn't agree more with your take on the current game. Even though the system's flaws don't really affect me as a casual as much as they'd hit hardcore players, I'm still giving it a thumbs down. Also I don't think players like you who've stuck around that long should be called casuals. To me, casuals are the ones that play F2P for a while, maybe sub for a month or so, and then move on. Loyal players like yourself and others need a different label. For now, I'd call us "hard casual" (make your own dirty jokes).
It's what i do... I drink, and I know things.

Trynitris
12.10.2016 , 01:20 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by eriksarcasm View Post
If you guys feel like starting a guild of casual Shadowlanders, don't forget to send ol' eriksarcasm an e-vite!
Oh, same here! I thought I was just about the only one. Nice to know there are others.

djungelvraaal
12.10.2016 , 01:24 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by eriksarcasm View Post

Though, I may take a day or two to reply, I don't login every day anymore.

OP, couldn't agree more with your take on the current game. Even though the system's flaws don't really affect me as a casual as much as they'd hit hardcore players, I'm still giving it a thumbs down. Also I don't think players like you who've stuck around that long should be called casuals. To me, casuals are the ones that play F2P for a while, maybe sub for a month or so, and then move on. Loyal players like yourself and others need a different label. For now, I'd call us "hard casual" (make your own dirty jokes).
I'd totally be up for that casual guild, filled( by the looks of things as of this thread) solo players, who are slow buffing people, I like it!
And I haven't thought of it the way you just put it, how you define casuals, I think you might be onto something.

And, eh, I've been left in charge of a guild that used to be decently big, on the imp side, everyone's left, the only one logging in, is me.