Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

KOTET opinion and Vette or Torian choices (SPOILERS)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
KOTET opinion and Vette or Torian choices (SPOILERS)

Swingkittie
12.05.2016 , 03:15 PM | #1
First I want to mention that I do not look up on You Tube or the forums, (or other places), to find out what is going to happen ahead of time. I play my characters as just like I am experiencing everything new. That being said, I ran my first character through KOTET - my Sith Inquisitor. I have 7 characters of different classes sitting on Odesson waiting. If you haven't played dark side KOTET then you probably should stop reading now. But I will put spoiler tags anyway.

Spoiler

Now on the Chapter 8 and this is where I am pretty upset. I liked the fact the game offered choices. If I chose to kill Aric Jorgan or Kailyo then I could. Or I could just warn them or exile them forever. I could choose to kill Lt. Rusk or Skadge, imprison the Khem Val replacement, or kill Broonmark. The thing is I didn't have to kill any of them as it was always my choice. Then chapter 8 comes and I am given another choice. Why? Why would you do this to some of the best companions in this game? Going back to me not reading up ahead of time, I ran through this choosing to
Spoiler
I had to walk away. I was so mad. And afterward, the letter Gault sent me brought tears. I know - pretty geeky right? but when you have got to know these companions over the last few years, the last thing I wanted to see was them dying, especially main love interest companions with good stories, backgrounds, etc.

I am also upset that it appears no other companions are coming back. I seriously doubt Rachel Leigh Cook is such a busy actress to not pop in and record a few lines for Jaesa. Or Tara Strong who is already an accomplished voice actress to come in and do Risha. Or Steve Blum who already did the Admiral so why not also have him record lines for Andronikas. And so on with all the others. Instead I get some weak response on where my force user companions are but the rest are just gone. Apparently, Quinn isn't searching hard enough even though his letter stated he was trying to find my sith warrior, along with many other letters from LI's while my characters were in carbonite.

If BW can just bring back my old companions through the story and not clicking on a holoterminal, then maybe I can somehow get over losing a major companion.
Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

americanaussie
12.05.2016 , 03:45 PM | #2
The other companion thing has been addressed so many times now. They ARE bringing them back it's just player feedback demanded a tighter story in kotet and unfortunately this meant no returning companions. Yep people complained. BW listened. Charles says he very much wants to bring them back ASAP. my guess is either between next xpac or in the next one. Don't lose hope on that.

catsi
12.05.2016 , 07:05 PM | #3
Don't happen to have copy of that letter do you? Ive been curious about it.
Ana Tathis 70 JK, Serraphin 70 COM/VG, Naashasa 70 Sage, Calliann, 70 GS, Kae'ra 70JK, Phyera 70 Sage
Rhea-hawk 70 PT, Gaa'ra 70 Mara, Fio'on 70 AS/Sorc , Mirri'elle 70 OP, Narayssa 70 Jug

Limariko
12.05.2016 , 11:39 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Swingkittie View Post
I am also upset that it appears no other companions are coming back. I seriously doubt Rachel Leigh Cook is such a busy actress to not pop in and record a few lines for Jaesa. Or Tara Strong who is already an accomplished voice actress to come in and do Risha. Or Steve Blum who already did the Admiral so why not also have him record lines for Andronikas. And so on with all the others. Instead I get some weak response on where my force user companions are but the rest are just gone. Apparently, Quinn isn't searching hard enough even though his letter stated he was trying to find my sith warrior, along with many other letters from LI's while my characters were in carbonite.

If BW can just bring back my old companions through the story and not clicking on a holoterminal, then maybe I can somehow get over losing a major companion.
Considering the in game revision to companion roles and the storyline point of our characters were in carbonite for five years, I'm completely fine with the concept of our losing companions permanently. I've kvetched often enough on assorted forms about what I feel is too many companions overall. While I do agree with you about why not have companions voiced by VAs who are also voicing other characters, I think it's also depending on what was recorded when in relation to the VA strike. I think it would've really helped somewhat if we got more letters from the missing companions as some acknowledgement or letting us know what was going on with them over time.

Quote: Originally Posted by americanaussie View Post
The other companion thing has been addressed so many times now. They ARE bringing them back it's just player feedback demanded a tighter story in kotet and unfortunately this meant no returning companions. Yep people complained. BW listened. Charles says he very much wants to bring them back ASAP. my guess is either between next xpac or in the next one. Don't lose hope on that.
From reading around, I have the feeling that they originally planned on dragging out the return of companions and got blindsided by the VA strike. Equally I could also buy the reason of typical Bioware overreacting to criticism and instead of listening to what worked and what didn't with KotFE, they took it to the extreme and just worried about the core storyline instead of tweaking what they were doing. As it is, while they did tie up a lot of points with KotFT, it still felt like there were points where they could've brought back companions. Especially during the Valkoryon fight as I feel it would've flowed much better with our characters going in with Lord Scourge, and Kira.
My Referral link for the clicking: http://www.swtor.com/r/p2FZFM

You get stuff, I get stuff. It's a fair deal- Take It!

gaelicvixen
12.06.2016 , 08:12 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Limariko View Post
From reading around, I have the feeling that they originally planned on dragging out the return of companions and got blindsided by the VA strike. Equally I could also buy the reason of typical Bioware overreacting to criticism and instead of listening to what worked and what didn't with KotFE, they took it to the extreme and just worried about the core storyline instead of tweaking what they were doing. As it is, while they did tie up a lot of points with KotFT, it still felt like there were points where they could've brought back companions. Especially during the Valkoryon fight as I feel it would've flowed much better with our characters going in with Lord Scourge, and Kira.
The thing is, they have long term contracts with all of their VAs and TOR was not on the list of affected games. I don't know if that's because it launched well before 2015 or because of the contracts, but either way it's more likely that balancing the desire to bring companions back in a meaningful way through the story with making KotET more cohesive as a story than KotFE is the actual issue.

Stultophobe
12.06.2016 , 09:29 AM | #6
I may be one of the few Warriors who chose to sacrifice Vette. I didn't need to read gen chat or watch YT videos to know that I was choosing which character would die. I played Mass Effect I. This was Virmire all over again.

Wasn't an easy decision, but I still believe saving Torian was the right choice. While I do like Vette more as a character, and while my Warrior may have been closer to her, a leader has to maintain objectivity. There is little room for sentiment in war. At the end of the day, Vette's individual expertise and charm is simply outweighed by the need for influential loyalists in the Mandalorians who are ready to die for your cause. Vette is easily replaced, and that's just the cruel reality. On some level, it's precisely because I knew that she would not take her death with dignity that I chose to sacrifice her. She's simply not the type of person (my) Alliance needs.
Spoiler

RED LIGHTSABER ENTHUSIASTị≡ị₪₪₪ịị▮

Stultophobe
12.06.2016 , 09:36 AM | #7
Quote:
I sat in shock staring at my monitor when Vaylin killed Vette.[/SPOILER] I had to walk away. I was so mad. And afterward, the letter Gault sent me brought tears. I know - pretty geeky right? but when you have got to know these companions over the last few years, the last thing I wanted to see was the, especially main love interest companions with good stories, backgrounds, etc.
So your complaint is that the story made you upset, not that it was a bad story. Am I right?

Vette is dead. There is no believable way to bring her back.

There's a difference between good storytelling and a story that makes you feel good.
Spoiler

RED LIGHTSABER ENTHUSIASTị≡ị₪₪₪ịị▮

gaelicvixen
12.06.2016 , 01:46 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Stultophobe View Post
I may be one of the few Warriors who chose to sacrifice Vette. I didn't need to read gen chat or watch YT videos to know that I was choosing which character would die. I played Mass Effect I. This was Virmire all over again.

Wasn't an easy decision, but I still believe saving Torian was the right choice. While I do like Vette more as a character, and while my Warrior may have been closer to her, a leader has to maintain objectivity. There is little room for sentiment in war. At the end of the day, Vette's individual expertise and charm is simply outweighed by the need for influential loyalists in the Mandalorians who are ready to die for your cause. Vette is easily replaced, and that's just the cruel reality. On some level, it's precisely because I knew that she would not take her death with dignity that I chose to sacrifice her. She's simply not the type of person (my) Alliance needs.
It does seem to be a very exclusive club we're in as SW who sacrificed Vette...

My reasons were very much the same as yours, though I never much cared for her.

Sendisa
12.08.2016 , 03:44 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by catsi View Post
Don't happen to have copy of that letter do you? Ive been curious about it.
Here you go.

Spoiler
This is the internet; telling stupid people to stop doing stupid things is like telling a deaf person to listen closely.

catsi
12.08.2016 , 12:11 PM | #10

damn that just hits me right in the gut

thanks for showing that.
Ana Tathis 70 JK, Serraphin 70 COM/VG, Naashasa 70 Sage, Calliann, 70 GS, Kae'ra 70JK, Phyera 70 Sage
Rhea-hawk 70 PT, Gaa'ra 70 Mara, Fio'on 70 AS/Sorc , Mirri'elle 70 OP, Narayssa 70 Jug