Are we ever getting missing companions back?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mainly concerned with getting Malavai and Kira back and STILL no damn sign of them as I start the final chapter of KOTET. There better be some great reason they haven't appeared because

Honestly like the entire galaxy is supposed to have seen me killing Arcann

so why exactly wouldn't they have come running. Makes no sense. Wish we had some closure here if they can't get the voiceovers or whatever then just kill them off but don't leave it ambiguous..

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Master Ranos said Kira was fighting in a rebel unit on Zakuul before they took heavy losses. She says she doesn't know if Kira made it out alive but she says that while Kira believed you were dead, she still loved you. Ds Jaesa simply went crazy over power and became a living terror, caring for nothing and no one but power. Ranos advises to forget about her no matter your relationship. I think these are closure attempts that say they aren't coming back.

Some people don't know there's a companion retrieval terminal in your alliance base.

This isn't about the terminal. This is about the question whether we will get them back in the story. Whether there will be a genuine attempt to reintroduce them into my character's personal story going forward. That's a very important factor for some people.

Some people don't know there's a companion retrieval terminal in your alliance base.

Some people don't realize the terminal merely spits out Vanilla versions of the companions, while they still remain lost in the story line going forward. He's not asking to run around bashing trash mobs with his comp, he's asking for story closure. Two different things.

Edited by Aeristash

This isn't about the terminal. This is about the question whether we will get them back in the story. Whether there will be a genuine attempt to reintroduce them into my character's personal story going forward. That's a very important factor for some people.

I know what this is about - but I'm 100% certain that there are some people reading this thread (maybe from a google search) that don't know about the terminal so I'm informing them - otherwise they might leave this thread with the impression that the companions are not actually available.

Edited by Savej

Some people don't realize the terminal merely spits out Vanilla versions of the companions, while they still remain lost in the story line going forward. He's not asking to run around bashing trash mobs with his comp, he's asking for story closure. Two different things.

From the terminal I got the same Kira that I'd been playing for the first several years of this game. KOTFE/KOTET didn't take that character away from me (or change it) for more than a couple hours. Do we want more companion interactions? Yes. If you watch the live streams you would know that Charles Boyd has answered the "when are we getting Kira back" (specifically) several times. He said he wants to bring her back, bring them all back, but that it won't happen anytime soon. I seriously doubt anythings changed in the last 2 weeks since the last time he said that.

Personally I think the reason we've not seen many of the companions come back has something to do with the voice actors strike. But I doubt anyone at EA or Bioware is going to admit that!

Meh the story is almost 10 years later. They could get away with replacing those on strike with new voice actors like they did with Tanno vik. I wouldn't question Mako, Nadia or Kira having slightly more matured voices in that time frame.

From the terminal I got the same Kira that I'd been playing for the first several years of this game. KOTFE/KOTET didn't take that character away from me (or change it) for more than a couple hours. Do we want more companion interactions? Yes. If you watch the live streams you would know that Charles Boyd has answered the "when are we getting Kira back" (specifically) several times. He said he wants to bring her back, bring them all back, but that it won't happen anytime soon. I seriously doubt anythings changed in the last 2 weeks since the last time he said that.

No, it's the same model you've been playing with for the past seven years. The character is MIA and possibly KIA according to Ranos. You can ask her that with the Kira spewed from the Terminal summoned and the story never changes. She's gone. No good will come of denial. Furthermore the excuse given was to do the character justice, while it's come to light that bailey is really on strike. So we have Ranos, a character written by bioware, urging us to forget about them, Boyd stating they won't be coming back anytime soon and a strike that guarantees they won't be back anytime soon on top of that. Don't know about you, but sounds like Bioware knows they won't ever come back and they're slowly trying to ween us away from them with platitudes.

Knowing and caring are two different things. If he cared, they'd be back right now.

But it costs money and Charles Boyd isn't up to how much budget companions and their stories get. Whether people believe it or not, to me at least he seemed to genuine care about wanting to bring them back as he's created the story for a lot of them.

Knowing and caring are two different things. If he cared, they'd be back right now.

He said on twitter his hopes is to bring them back. they originally were going to be in them back in chapter no body really like those chapter because it drag the story. Much people want it as to make sense and meaningful. From what they said they going to bring the comp outside of the chapter into the new content there doing

Edited by commanderwar

He said on twitter his hopes is to bring them back. they originally were going to be in them back in chapter no body really like those chapter because the story. Much people want it as to make sense and meaningful. From what they said they going to bring the comp outside of the chapter into the new content there doing

Yep.

He says a lot of things.

He also says that Galactic Command with RNG gearing is awesome.

He also has selective hearing. We, the players, didn't complain that the KotFE story sucked because our companions were coming back in it. We said that the story doesn't make sense with the forced way he shoehorned them into the story, the story he wrote. We said it felt clumsy and forced. We wanted him to write it better.

Instead he heard, "We don't like the companions coming back.. *WHITE NOISE WHITE NOISE*...story makes no sense!" So he threw the baby out with the bathwater and doubled down on his pet characters. Then blamed US, the community, for the companions not returning.

So please, tell me more about how he actually cares. Because I won't believe it until he actually SHOWS he cares, not TELLS us that he cares.

(Which, incidentally, was one of the biggest problems with KotFE: real big on TELLING us stuff, but really lacked in SHOWING us said stuff. Which is, like, Writing 101: Show don't Tell.)

Edited by AngFour

Yep.

He says a lot of things.

He also says that CXP is awesome.

He also has selective hearing. We, the players, didn't complain that the KotFE story sucked because our companions were coming back in it. We said that the story doesn't make sense with the forced way he shoehorned them into the story, the story he wrote. We said it felt clumsy and forced. We wanted him to write it better.

Instead he heard, "We don't like the companions coming back.. *WHITE NOISE WHITE NOISE*...story makes no sense!" So he threw the baby out with the bathwater and doubled down on his pet characters. Then blamed US, the community, for the companions not returning.

So please, tell me more about how he actually cares. Because I won't believe it until he actually SHOWS he cares, not TELLS us that he cares.

(Which, incidentally, was one of the biggest problems with KotFE: real big on TELLING us stuff, but really lacked in SHOWING us said stuff. Which is, like, Writing 101: Show don't Tell.)

Sorry I met to say comp chapter drag the story which was one of the biggest complaint in kotfe.

Edited by commanderwar

Sorry I met to say comp chapter drag the story which was one of the biggest complaint in kotfe.

Because they were clumsily shoehorned in in ways that didn't make sense. That was the complaint.

He was the writer. He could have made it make sense. Instead he decided it was too hard and abandoned them. Then he pays backhanded lip service to the community saying, "Siiiiiigh, I REALLY WISH they could come back, but YOU GUYS didn't want them to, so now I don't know."

I love being blamed for his story decisions and bad writing, don't you?

Edited by AngFour

Yep.

He says a lot of things.

He also says that CXP is awesome.

This is my problem with Charles as well. The more he sits there and hypes "Omgosh I care so much and I know everyones hating on me for this and I'm like so sorry guys but really I care just as much as you do blah blah blah" the more he irritates me. Tell us something REAL. Something that actually says something instead of gushing away and putting on a phony act while doing 0 to actually improve a thing. If he cares so much about this companion thing, he would have had a plan in the works already (planning doesn't cost shi.t except the sweat on your brow), something tangible to show us while informing us that we won't see our guys for the 9 KOTET chapters. Something more than easy and vague promises. For instance "Around January or February of 2017 we'll start releasing monthly/bi-monthly patches to return the remaining companions to you all in a meaningful way. You ARE getting them back and we are not killing them off without giving you a choice and chance to participate in their story." But he can't even give us that much. Just a lot of teasing and empty words.

Because they were clumsily shoehorned in in ways that didn't make sense. That was the complaint.

He was the writer. He could have made it make sense. Instead he decided it was too hard and abandoned them. Then he pays backhanded lip service to the community saying, "Siiiiiigh, I REALLY WISH they could come back, but YOU GUYS didn't want them too, so now I don't know."

I love being blamed for his story decisions and bad writing, don't you?

While it didn't not Make sense, the complaint I was was talking about. it did not move the story foward. Also No one is blaming anyone, if something does not work you do something else to make work. As I said That was he is doing comp coming back in different way outside thtat chapter/ main story and make them come in a side story.

Edited by commanderwar

I'd hate to be anyone tasked with interacting with a fan community.

What I do for a living isn't quite the same thing, but it's close enough, and I feel that the lessons I've learned apply. There's a difference between what you might like to do as someone who makes creative content, versus what your bosses allow you to do. And there's also a difference between what you're permitted to say to the consumers of your product, and what might necessarily be the whole truth. Seriously, don't blame the person whose paycheck depends on reciting the script - it's no better behavior than yelling at a customer service representative because you want them to overreach the scope and authority of their job to address your problem.

Seriously, don't blame the person whose paycheck depends on reciting the script - it's no better behavior than yelling at a customer service representative because you want them to overreach the scope and authority of their job to address your problem.

Agreed, but at the same time, I think people at the consumer level feel that they are out of other options. The current producer-dominant system for AAA titles has some serious flaws, one of which is that production companies (ab)use game studios as gatekeepers for customer dissatisfaction which is often the direct result of something the producers handed down from on high. A community can be entirely civil and wholly cognizant of the fact that the devs are fellow human beings, and still have no other entity to whom to take legitimate complaints and requests.

Given that there is literally no way to touch the people in power - a mass subscription exodus is more punitive to the devs than to EA as well - it looks to me like the current swtor community is being fairly reasonable in their verbal response to the problems. People complain about the *actions* of Charles Boyd or Eric Musco, but there are few ad-hominem arguments, and nobody is baying for blood and calling for leadership to be ousted. Feels tame in comparison to the invective hurled at Casey Hudson over the Mass Effect 3 ending (not that past bad behavior would justify more of the same, just saying I think the current complaints are mostly on-target and asking for things that are probably within BWA's power to grant.) As with most things, your mileage may vary ;)

They need to just replace some characters VA's so that we don't loose the characters. Frankly I would prefer that then not having the character at all.

Find new VA's. Bring the characters back, get on with their romances and story already.